[MyAppleMenu] Jul 2, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jul 2 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** China iPhone Deal Faces Trademark Conflict <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=93b85e06af28b02369180182a6e7090f>
by Owen Fletcher, Macworld

A Chinese company that owns the trademark “i-phone” has said it is not in talks with Apple, even though Apple may need the company's blessing to sell its similarly named iPhone in China.

**** Ambrosia Releases Soundboard <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=8dd76fc6a30ffa0f1ac938257fba5a7a>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

The concept of Soundboard is similar to the “cart machines” that once populated radio stations — devices that played back endless-loop tape cartridges used to play commercials, sound effects and other audio content.

**** New iPhone 3GS TV Spots Highlight Voice Control, Copy/paste <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/vWmLYDjiRfU/new-iphone-3gs-tv-spots-highlight-voice-control-copypaste.ars>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica - Infinite Loop

In two new ad spots, Apple manages to spin iPhone features that everyone else already has as remarkable and revolutionary. The RDF may be a little strong in these videos, but we do have to applaud Apple for its confidence.

**** First Look: Firefox 3.5 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=2be71978291ce14fca4e0b3f12ed8d81>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Speed bosts, private browsing highilight changes to Mozilla’s browser.

**** Cataloging Mail By Date <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=10d6b00f03868cbdc0b2db6bf6de75f7>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** LightWorks 8.1 Extends Real-time Rendering <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=83320de01616a899faafdd1527678826>
by MacNN

**** Child Porn Is Apple's Latest iPhone Headache <http://feeds.wired.com/~r/wired/index/~3/saaqddyyrO0/beautymeter>
by Brian X. Chen, Wired Top Stories

A photo ostensibly showing a 15-year-old nude girl has appeared in an iPhone app, highlighting Apple’s inability to safeguard its application store from prohibited content.

**** Does Apple Really Have The Greenest Notebooks? <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.pcworld.com/article/167098/does_apple_really_have_the_greenest_notebooks.html&usg=AFQjCNFEpWiVQsjgMRchJryx77GfUEhCYw>
by Ted Samson, InfoWorld

Apple and other PC makers are overdoing it when they flash their EPEAT Gold to prove they're green.

**** A Fireside Chat With Apple's Jonathan Ive <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/redirect.jsp?url=http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2009/07/01/a-fireside-chat-with-apples-jonathan-ive/&usg=AFQjCNGEAzic6WWqtqzR26ZQ8TcOkmlN3A>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** Why The iPhone Can&#39;t Be &#39;killed&#39; <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.networkworld.com/news/2009/070109-iphone-killers.html?hpg1=bn&usg=AFQjCNGpfEoinXL4U4d9taiclhe-1zWixg>
by Brad Reed, NetworkWorld.com

When the iPhone took the cell phone world by storm two years ago, it was viewed as a revolutionary, game-changing new device that would alter how mobile phone users consumed data on their devices. In reality, the iPhone was merely the next logical step in Apple's quest to rule the world of wireless devices.

**** Apple Updates MobileMe With iPhone Features, More <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/07/01/apple.updates.mobileme/&usg=AFQjCNF6-M3Lb2UsK-30YAfRb8hYS7VJog>
by MacNN

Apple has detailed a series of recent changes to MobileMe, its online hosting and sync service. Many of these are iPhone related, for instance allowing iPhone 3GS owners to upload a video to a Gallery album, or if no album exists, create a new one automatically.

**** Listening To Mr iPhone <http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/07/listening_to_mr_iphone.html>
by Rory Cellan-Jones, BBC

By any measure, he is among the most important figures in technology of the last decade, a major influence on the way we use and interact with computers and mobile phones, a British designer who ranks with the Conrans and the Dysons. But have you ever heard Jonathan Ive, the Apple designer behind the iMac, the iPod and the iPhone, talk about his work?

**** Mac News Briefs: Omni Group Releases OmniGraphSketcher <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=37c10f42e7d03abc63c544d47fb245a1>
by Macworld

Also announced: iPod Access, Cocktail, and Mystical Tint Tone and Color Photoshop plug-in updates.

**** Electric Rain Releases Swift 3D 6.0 Update <http://feeds.macnn.com/click.phdo?i=8e487718ff750c48a11fe67d3ea31ec6>
by MacNN

**** Forbidden Apple's Not So Sweet <http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/forbidden-apples-not-so-sweet-20090701-d55f.html?FORM=ZZNR2>
by Danny Katz, The Age

We shall not buy this new iPhone: let the commoners have it, I say. Instead, let us maintain our exclusive hip-hop hipness and buy their phone — a Telstra EasyTouch on a $20 plan. And no more iPods either. We shall only buy a Microsoft Zune!

**** Review: Final Draft 8 <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=1eb1ab210d1ae8a53abbe15b83aaaa1e>
by Tim Haddock, Macworld

**** Modes, Quasimodes And The iPhone <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/07/02/modes-quasimodes-and-the-iphone/>
by Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

**** Some iPhone 3G S Overheating, Apple Offers ‘Temperature` Warning <http://feeds.ziffdavisenterprise.com/~r/RSS/tech/~3/tYk8vMhHQrM/>
by eWeek

**** Social Networking Touted For Software Development <http://www.infoworld.com/d/developer-world/social-networking-touted-software-development-726>
by Paul Krill, InfoWorld

Atlassian this week introduced FishEye 2, which adds social networking capabilities to source code repositories, including Subversion and CVS, and boosts agile programming projects.

**** Get Smarter <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200907/intelligence>
by Jamais Cascio, The Atlantic

Pandemics. Global warming. Food shortages. No more fossil fuels. What are humans to do? The same thing the species has done before: evolve to meet the challenge. But this time we don’t have to rely on natural evolution to make us smart enough to survive. We can do it ourselves, right now, by harnessing technology and pharmacology to boost our intelligence. Is Google actually making us smarter?

**** The String Theory <http://www.esquire.com/features/sports/the-string-theory-0796>
by David Foster Wallace, Esquire

What happens when all of a man’s intelligence and athleticism is focused on placing a fuzzy yellow ball where his opponent is not? An obsessive inquiry (with footnotes), into the physics and metaphysics of tennis.

**** S'pore Confirms 82 New H1N1 Flu Cases, Makes Transition To Mitigation Phase <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/439785/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Mixed Signals? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,206627,00.html?>
by Benita Aw Yeong, New Paper

Schools have also implemented a host of precautionary measures, including the stopping of certain outdoor events, to slow the spread of H1N1 here.

Adding to the mixed signals is the fact that while many CCAs and non-essential activities have been scaled back, in line with MOE's recommendations, physical education has been proceeding as usual.

**** Train Trips Increased On Weekends To Meet Demand <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_397751.html>
by Bernadette Low, SMRT Corporation, Straits Times

We would like to clarify that since June last year, SMRT has increased train trips to enhance commuters' travel experience on weekends. Up to 65 train trips were added on Sundays last year. Since February, another 32 train trips were added on Sunday afternoons and evenings.

**** Box Clever: Singapore's Magic Formula For Maths Success <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.independent.co.uk/news/education/schools/box-clever-singapores-magic-formula-for-maths-success-1727053.html&usg=AFQjCNGlQ5VW-PmDAvSHgTgFM4CYNuKr4A>
by Liz Lightfoot, Independent

It sounds crazy but Singapore has shot up the league tables by dropping traditional methods from its maths lessons and getting children to be creative.

**** Should I State My IC Or Passport Number? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC090702-0000232/Online-only---Should-I-state-my-IC-or-passport-number?>
by Ishwar Mahtani, Today

**** Parliament Sits On Monday <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_398152.html>
by Straits Times

**** Why I Hung Up My Pointe Shoes <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2009/7/2/why-i-hung-up-my-pointe-shoes>
by Joanne Lee, Straits Times

Who is going to step up to support our local artistes?