[MyAppleMenu] Jul 1, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 1 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** A Week With iPhone 3.0 <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/ThomasFitzgeraldnet/~3/1uRjj9LxX6M/>
by thomasfitzgerald, thomas fitzgerald.net

One of the things that has struck me about using 3.0 is its stability and completeness. Normally with a major new release of any operating system there are rough edges until the first couple of point releases or “service packs”. iPhone 3.0 however is remarkably solid.

**** Maine Expands MacBook Program To High Schools <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=ad4aab5a8e979d1e0ab8a14c21124bfa>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

The Maine Department of Education on Tuesday announced that it has expanded its student laptop program to include high school students. It’s a huge win for Apple, because the state will be acquiring another 64,000 MacBook laptops, with up to 7,000 additional MacBooks possibly ordered in the coming weeks.

**** Mozilla Releases Firefox 3.5 <http://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/30/mozilla-releases-firefox-3-5/>
by MacRumors

**** Repair Incorrect Icon Associations <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=26719bd079799e813c7188a9eb0b5c19>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Harvard Business School Gives Steve Jobs An "F" <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/typepad/alleyinsider/silicon_alley_insider/~3/0ttAZ6yFBOM/steve-jobs-is-a-bad-manager-says-harvard-business-review-2009-6>
by Preethi Dumpala, Business Insider

**** iPhoto 8.0.4 Fixes Crashing Bug, Corrects Location Names <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=fd9922b71c803d676e3d6bf2ee6f51b8>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

Apple on Tuesday released an update to its iPhoto 8 software, part of the iLife '09 suite of applications. iPhoto 8.0.4 fixes a rare bug in which updating to iPhoto 8.0.3 could cause the application to quit unexpectedly, as well as corrects references to some incorrectly labeled points of interest and location names.

**** AT&T Voicemail Not Populating To Visual Voicemail Within Days <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/20090630164633:1697C738-65B7-11DE-A7C6-0354BDDB0776/>
by Glenn S. Tenney, IP

Yes, potentially every iPhone in the entire USA might be experiencing (this is what the level 2 person told me) delays (of days) in having voicemail populate to your visual voicemail.

**** The EU Stabs Apple In The Back <http://seekingalpha.com/article/146145-the-eu-stabs-apple-in-the-back>
by Anton Wahlman, Seeking Alpha

For Apple, this represents an ugly inconvenience.

**** The Limits Of Apple&#39;s Push Notification For The iPhone <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.pcworld.com/article/167652/the_limits_of_apples_push_notification_for_the_iphone.html&usg=AFQjCNEdEu2xyFANlIRbI8aHGA60RMfr5w>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld

APNS (Apple Push Notification Service) is a free, simple, and safe way to push data to iPhone apps. It fills iPhone's background process gap — imperfectly.

**** So Long, HackBook: You're Useless Now Thanks To iPhone 3GS <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/06/farewell-hackbook/&usg=AFQjCNE3vaVsSiuDZ1454Mj1Mbo8RLd2vw>
by Brian X. Chen, Wired

One could argue that a netbook would be better than the iPhone 3GS for doing work. I’ll be honest: I didn’t get crap done on my netbook.

**** What’s New In The iPhone 3.1 Beta <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/rQvAY4hOoHw/12377>
by Leander Kahney, Cult of Mac

The iPhone 3.1 beta has been released to developers, and includes some cool features, including Voice Control over Bluetooth.

**** Explaining The iPhone’s Success <http://rc3.org/2009/06/30/explaining-the-iphones-success/>
by Rafe Colburn, rc3.org

The iPhone offered a better experience than any other phone for making phone calls.

**** How To Replace A Cracked iPhone 3G Screen <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/tidbits_main/~3/XipV1VUbdlo/10389>
by Jeff Carlson, TidBITS

My wife's iPhone 3G now looks as good as new, and I didn't have to fall back on my alternate plan of paying Apple for a replacement. I hope I don't have to put my new screen-fixing skills to work again, but if gravity should assert itself, I'll be ready.

**** Apple's HTTP Adaptive Video Streaming In Action <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2009/tc20090630_380118.htm&usg=AFQjCNE7jxcyn0jK5yoPwRMn-pkGfHN2VQ>
by Liz Gannes, GigaOM

The upgrade to the iPhone operating system has the potential to significantly change consumers' experience of mobile video.

**** Coyote's Tale <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1052>
by Ted Bade, Inside Mac Games

The fun story line, moderately challenging puzzles, and the fact that it is a non-violent game, make this a great choice if you are looking for something mild to give your children or even yourself. Definitely take a look at this one.

**** GDC Austin To Feature iPhone Games Summit <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=7a981efd9c5dd0c7b32a7a9e092aa91d>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** A Robot That Navigates Like A Person <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22946/>
by Anne-Marie Corley, Technology Review

A new robot navigates using humanlike visual processing and object detection.

**** The Reluctant Poet Laureate <http://www.newsweek.com/id/204212/page/1>
by Louisa Thomas, New York Times

Kay Ryan has lived in the same small house on a hill in Marin County, Calif., for 30 years. She shingled the exterior walls and covered the steps and walkways in bright tile scraps herself. The house suits her—filled with artwork by friends and with books, surrounded by mountain-biking trails, sheltered by plants. She likes being in this out-of-the-way place, keeping her distance. As she settles into a faded pink director's chair, chatting amiably, her hazel eyes are warm but a little guarded. This is what she had dreaded when she agreed to become the poet laureate of the United States—that a reporter would show up at her door and ask her to hold forth on the State of American Poetry for the Masses. But Ryan is a kind and generous person, and so she has sliced lime for this interloper's sparkling water, offered her cut cantaloupe, and invited her onto the tiny deck lined with low-hanging strawberries, a geranium, lemon verbena, cacti. The pots were planted by Carol Adair, Ryan's spouse and longtime partner, who died of cancer in January. Ryan is doing her best to keep the plants alive, to halt the geranium's browning.

**** Demon Brother: 6 Thoughts on Heart in Fiction <http://htmlgiant.com/?p=11325>
by Blake Butler, HTMLGIANT

I’ve heard / been asked a lot about the concept of ‘heart’ lately, and last night I couldn’t sleep.

**** Dancing About Architecture <http://www.believermag.com/issues/200907/?read=article_phillips>
by Arthur Phillips, The Believer

A meditation on possibly futile artistic pursuits.

**** Confirmed Cases Hit 701 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_397357.html>
by Straits Times

**** New Airport Company To Be Chaired By Liew Mun Leong <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/439517/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

Liew Mun Leong – the president and chief executive officer of CapitaLand Limited – will chair the new airport company that has yet to be named.

**** Rape Scenes In Recent TV Dramas Within Guidelines, Says MDA <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC090701-0000001/Online-Only--Rape-scenes-in-recent-TV-dramas-within-guidelines,-says-MDA>
by Ginny Goh, Media Development Authority, Today

With regard to the recent rape scenes on local dramas "Fighting Spiders" and "Red Thread", MDA has assessed the scenes and found them to be brief, non-explicit and relevant to the development of the dramas' storylines. As such, they are within the guidelines for programmes shown on free-to-air channels during family viewing hours.

**** Extend Bus, Train Services To 2am For Orchard Road Shoppers <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_397343.html>
by Teo Kueh Liang, Straits Times

It will make economical sense to extend the MRT and bus operating hours to 2am, so that shoppers can enjoy their shopping without the hassle of worrying about how to get home.

**** DBS And POSB Cut Savings <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_397549.html>
by Gabriel Chen, Straits Times

Bad news for the legions of savers already being squeezed by the meagre interest paid out on their deposits. Today, interest rates on the millions of savings accounts at both DBS Bank and POSB will be trimmed to levels not seen since 2005.

POSB savings and passbook account holders, who previously got 0.25 per cent for the first $50,000, will now get just 0.125 per cent. For those holding a deposit of $10,000, the decrease works out to $12.50 less a year.

**** RM8b Bullet Train Project Relevant: YTL Corp <http://www.btimes.com.my/Current_News/BTIMES/articles/20090630211953/Article/index_html>
by Business Times Malaysia

Conglomerate YTL Corporation Bhd hopes that the government will pursue the proposed RM8 billion bullet train project between Kuala Lumpur and Singapore given its potential economic spin-offs.

**** Accessibility On Singapore Government Websites <http://metacole.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/accessibility-on-singapore-government-websites/>
by Coleman Yee, μεταcole

Whole populations of Singaporeans are being excluded from such online government services simply because they use a Mac instead of a PC, or because they don’t wish to use (the technically inferior) Internet Explorer.

And we’re not even talking about access by small screen devices like mobile phones, or access by disabled users. The situation is far worse for them.

**** Critics Cringe At Ad For Burger King's Latest Sandwich <http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,529576,00.html?test=faces>
by Joshua Rhett Miller, FOX News

An advertisement for Burger King's latest sandwich leaves little to the imagination and should be discontinued due to "distasteful" and unappetizing references to oral sex, advertising experts told FOXNews.com.

**** Rethinking The “ED” in “EDB” <http://givemesometruth.wordpress.com/2009/06/30/rethinking-the-ed-in-edb/>
by Alastair Su, Gimme Some Truth!

If we narrow our understanding of economic development to just sustaining our GDP, we will neglect alot of other important factors too.

**** MM Lee Speaks Of Need To Restructure Airport Operations <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/439714/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew said Singapore must restructure and strengthen its airport operations and regulatory system so that when recovery comes, the country's aviation sector will be ready to meet new challenges.

**** Singapore Is 18th Most Expensive Retail Location In The World <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/439739/1/.html>
by Tang See Kit, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore has moved a notch higher to 18th spot as the most expensive retail location in the world, despite easing rental rates for super prime retail space.

**** A Credible And Effective Opposition <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2056-a-credible-and-effective-opposition>
by Singapore Democrats