[MyAppleMenu] Feb 26, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Feb 26 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Apple TV 2.3.1 Breaks Boxee, Adds (Very) Minor Changes <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/apple-tv-231-breaks-boxee-adds-very-minor-changes.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Apple has added a Network Test function to the device's general settings, presumably so that you can make sure the network settings you have entered actually work. Additionally, a reader pointed out that an AppleInsider forum member has made note that songs selected through the Apple Remote app on the iPhone now begin playing immediately on the Apple TV.

**** Shimo 2.0.9 <http://www.macworld.com/article/139038/2009/02/shimo2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

Whereas the original Shimo was a must-have for those forced to use Cisco’s VPN client for Mac OS X, Shimo 2 is worth considering for anyone who regularly connects to a VPN.

**** Apple Makes MobileMe Faster And Shinier <http://www.macworld.com/article/139039/2009/02/apple_makes_mobileme_faster_and_shinier.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Aayush Arya, Macworld

It took a long time but I think MobileMe is finally there. It has weathered the storm and become all that it set out to be.

**** Defending Safari 4 Tabs <http://manton.org/2009/02/defending.html>
by Manton Reece

The Safari 4 tabs are conceptually the right way to go. It's not "tabs" at all. Instead, think of it as an efficient way to dock multiple windows together.

Getting the tabs out of the content area of the window is also the first real step to making this available to other developers. While I don't think you should stamp this on to all applications, certain classes of document-based applications could "opt-in" to this new system and get it mostly for free, with consistent UI and behavior provided by the system.

**** Vagabond Tabs <http://onebuttonmouse.com/ramblings/vagabond-tabs/>
by One Button Mouse

I’m sure that part of the reason Apple did this was to conserve space, and allow more room for web page content. But displays are getting larger all the time. I don’t think it’s necessary to squeeze each pixel until it screams for mercy.

**** Review: BeejiveIM For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139025/2009/02/beejiveim.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

Capable IM client offers features beyond those of many rival apps.

**** Review: Monopoly: World Edition For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139046/2009/02/monopoly.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Holt, Macworld

Monopoly Here and Now: The World Edition is a clever adaptation of the classic game to the iPhone format. 3-D animations and flexible options spruce up the formula to produce a game that is as addictive as it is fun to play.

**** Apple Execs Reassure Shareholders At Annual Meeting <http://www.macworld.com/article/139044/2009/02/shareholders.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

The meeting served largely to have executives assure shareholders that the company was on the right track.

**** Opening The Package And Peeking Under The Hood Of Safari 4 <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/opening-the-package-and-peeking-under-the-hood-of-safari-4.ars>
by Erica Sadun, Ars Technica

It's always interesting to spend time poking through the application bundle for newly released Mac OS X software. Inside the bundle are all sorts of files and resources that can sometimes give you insight as to what is going on with development.

**** Apple's Safari 4 UI Changes Hint At Plans For Snow Leopard <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/25/apples_safari_4_ui_changes_hint_at_plans_for_snow_leopard.html>
by Prince McLean, AppleInsider

The new public beta release of Safari 4 reveals the deepest look yet at the future of Apple's software, hinting at what's in store for the closely guarded user interface revamp coming in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, as well as appropriating ideas from other browsers and adding some original flourishes, some of which go boldly and decisively past the company's existing human interface design guidelines.

**** Shareholders' Meeting Makes For An Interesting Trip <http://www.macworld.com/article/139051/2009/02/shareholders_blog.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

Over the past decade, I’ve been to Apple’s Cupertino headquarters many times for assorted product launches and PR briefings. But Wednesday’s trip for the company’s annual shareholders’ meeting was a new experience for me.

**** Review: Apple MacBook Pro 17-Inch Laptop <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/yourbusiness/businesstechnology/4805805/Review-Apple-MacBook-Pro-17-inch-laptop.html>
by Telegraph

This is a powerful and effective machine, though if you don't need the extensive battery life or prefer something lighter, a smaller-screened laptop will save money as well as arm ache.

**** Temasek Opens Chennai Office To Focus On South <http://in.reuters.com/article/indiaDeals/idINIndia-38198320090225>
by Reuters

Temasek Holdings Advisors India has opened an office in Chennai in a bid to expand its India operations. The Singapore state investor started its India operations in 2004 with an office in Mumbai.

**** Apple's Annual Meeting: Not Much Concern About Succession <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2009/02/apples_annual_m.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek

I spoke with a number of investors before and after the meeting, and not one of them seemed all that concerned about the possibility that Steve Jobs might not be able to return from medical leave to run the company full-time.

**** Apple Shareholders Re-Elect Board Despite Concerns <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/apple-shareholders-re-elect-board-despite/story.aspx?guid={FC168CC8-F379-49A6-8715-8A091692520C}&dist=msr_3>
by Rex Crum and Dan Gallagher, MarketWatch

**** Steve Jobs Probably Won't Return To Apple <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/160266/steve_jobs_probably_wont_return_to_apple.html>
by David Coursey, PC World

Does anyone at Apple have the gravitas (and vision) to cut the deals that made the iTunes Store such an incredible success? No one in the industry or even global business seems to be able to build whole ecosystems the way Jobs can.

**** Windows On Mac: The Best Of Both Worlds <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Desktops-and-Notebooks/The-Mac-Moment-Windows-on-Mac-the-Best-of-Both-Worlds/>
by Ivan Drucker, eWeek

**** Review: Apple's Safari 4 Browser Beta Is Innovative, Fast, Fun <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9128660&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld

**** Apple Directors: We Have A Plan, But We're Not Telling You What It Is <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/feb/26/apple-agm-steve-jobs>
by Bobbie Johnson, The Guardian

Apple's invisible man continued to exert his influence at the company's annual investors' meeting.

**** Safari's New Tabs: Good Or Bad? <http://www.macworld.com/article/139026/2009/02/safari4tabs.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

What Apple got right and wrong with tabs in Safari 4 beta.

**** 1Password Updated For Safari 4 Beta <http://www.macworld.com/article/139057/2009/02/1password.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

1Password helps Mac users keep track of passwords used to access Web sites.

**** Analysis: Looking For A Pattern In Apple's App Store Rejections <http://www.macworld.com/article/139021/2009/02/app_rejection.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

**** UFO: Alien Invasion <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=950>
by Remi Stebenne, Inside Mac Games

This game offers great strategic gameplay where it's not only what you do during the battle that counts, but more importantly what you do beforehand. As an open source project, it is always improving. For the low, low price of free, it's definitely worth checking out.

**** On Tabs And Docking And Title Bars <http://ignorethecode.net/blog/2009/02/26/on-tabs-and-docking-and-title-bars/>
by Lukas Mathis, Ignore The Code

Using dockable windows, we’d be able to get rid of application-specific tab implementations. Every application would get tabs for free.

**** Twitter = YouTube. <http://battellemedia.com/archives/004832.php>
by John Battelle, Searchblog

What's the most important and quickly growing form of search on the web today? Real time, conversational search. And who's the YouTube of real time search? Yep. Twitter.

**** Microsoft Studies The Big Sleep <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/microsoft-studies-the-big-sleep/>
by Ashlee Vance, New York Times

**** Laughing Past The Grave <http://www.obit-mag.com/viewmedia.php/prmMID/5288>
by Kevin Nance, Obit

The shock value of what might be called death humor can be heightened by a number of factors, including the public profile of the jokester.

**** The Inner Life <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/opinion/26cohen.html?ref=opinion>
by Roger Cohen, New York Times

Perhaps the Age of Excess had to end before we could all turn inward just enough to rediscover the gold standard of the perfectly formed phrase, and make connections again.

**** Moderation Or Mind Trick? <http://dotseng.wordpress.com/2009/02/24/moderation-or-mind-trick/>
by Just Stuff

The case is too clear to deny; too strong even to displace on a wimp and fancy; its one that even suggest if government really desire netizens to step out into the full glory of light; then they should first dedicate themselves to earning the trust and respect of the online community; start by laying down the hatchet that you once used to knock Catherine Lim, Mr Brown and countless others whose only crime was to speak their mind for the betterment of the collective good; better still beat that hatchet into a ploughshare – then and only then; do you ask people to come out into the open. Otherwise no deal - go and die lah.

**** Student Chased Out Of Library For Studying <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,194010,00.html?>
by Lediati Tan, New Paper

Student Gerald Khoo, 16, was left confused and frustrated after he was allegedly asked to leave Sengkang Public Library. He was there to study.

**** Pay For Goods Over MRT Fare Gate And Get Fined $2,000 <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,193975,00.html?>
by Vivien Chan, New Paper

The New Paper found out that under SMRT regulations, it is an offence to conduct a business transaction over a fare gate.

**** Chocked Checkpoints: The Solutoin Is With ICA <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_342922.html>
by Joseph Ong, Straits Times

We often hear and read glowing news reports about the efficiency of our award-winning airport, where passengers are cleared swiftly, without any compromise to national security. Yet such a culture does not seem to have taken root at the two Singapore-Malaysia crossings.

**** Oscars TV Cut: First You See It, Then You Don't <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_342930.html>
by Pamela Koh, Straits Times

Disappointed, I switched off my TV and watched the inspiring speeches on the Internet instead.

**** The Old Asian Way Excuse <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1741&Itemid=159>
by Kan Yuenyong, Asia Sentinel

The internet is the new infrastructure for society, in the same way as guilds were for the merchants in the Middle Ages, where independent freedom reigned.

This new "guild", along with the necessity for Asian economies to create a new information industry by a new generation of Asians who need more freedom, are the great challenges to the good old Asian Way. We will see if these challenges are met.

**** Chartered's Survival Hinges On Temasek <http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=214600021>
by Bolaji Ojo, EE Times

Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing Ltd.'s ability to survive the ongoing economic recession and sliding demand for its services will depend largely on the willingness of parent Temasek Holding Pte Ltd. to provide financial support for the wafer foundry, according to Standard &amp; Poor's.

**** Financial Crisis To Take Priority Over Human Rights At Upcoming Asian Nation Summit <http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-as-asean-summit,1,3987851.story>
by Jocelyn Gecker, Associated Press

The prickly issue of human rights in Myanmar will take a back seat to the global financial meltdown as leaders of cash-strapped Southeast Asian countries meet this weekend for an annual summit.

**** &quot;This Materialism Has Got To End&quot; London, October 2008 - The Chance Has Now Come For Singaporeans To End The Materialism That Has Decayed This Nation. <http://chiatilik.wordpress.com/2009/02/26/this-materialism-has-got-to-end-london-october-2008-the-chance-has-now-come-for-singaporeans-to-end-the-materialism-that-has-decayed-this-nation/>
by Chia Ti Lik

The time has come for Singaporeans to end the the rot of materialism. The rot brought largely by the PAP. If not, your materialism will be the end of you.

**** 缆车取代短程巴士 圣淘沙发展绿色交通 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090226_509.shtml>
by 李静仪, 联合早报

圣淘沙发展集团董事局已原则上批准在圣淘沙岛上兴建新的缆车系统,它最快可在2011年建成,到时新缆车主要将取代现有的短程巴士,成为岛内的“绿色”交通工具。

**** Did The PM Say Traditional Media Is Unbiased <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2009/02/did-the-pm-say-traditional-media-is-unbiased.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind

According to the transcript of the interview kindly provided by the Straits Times, this is what the prime minister said: “I think the fact that you’ve been able to keep audiences up, readership up in Singapore shows that the mainstream media have credibility.”

“Credibility” may mean the same thing as “trusted”. But it does not mean unbiased. I couldn’t find that word in the transcript.

**** The Picture That Spoke A Thousand Words <http://secretpoliticalblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/picture-that-spoke-thousand-words.html>
by Secret Political Blog!

**** Singapore Revises Q4 GDP To -16.4 Pct, Keeps Outlook <http://in.reuters.com/article/asiaCompanyAndMarkets/idINSIN44435220090226>
by Reuters

Singapore issued revised 2008 GDP estimates on Thursday showing the export-reliant economy contracted by 16.4 percent in the fourth quarter, and reiterated its forecast that it will shrink by 2-5 percent this year.

**** Why TBT Protestors Look Forward To Going Back To Court <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/1987-why-tbt-protesters-look-forward-to-going-back-to-court>
by Singapore Democrats

This is because legal battles are one way through which Singaporeans can fight for their rights and work towards the rule of law, however long the process may take.

**** Blogging And Identity: To Name Or Not To Name? <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/02/blogging-and-identity-to-name-or-not-to-name/>
by Gerald Giam

If you want to meet more interesting people in the real world, and your employer is not bothered by it, use your real name. If you’re happy keeping your online and offline life separate, then by all means, use a pseudonym. The issue is really not about “credibility” or lack thereof, as the government likes to put it.