[MyAppleMenu] Feb 25, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 25 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** PulpMotion Adds iLife '09 Support <http://www.macworld.com/article/138999/2009/02/pulpmotion.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

PulpMotion lets you create slideshow animations using your own pictures, video and music, and can be exported as QuickTime movies or published as still image galleries on the web.

**** MacBook Cases Still Cracking Up <http://www.macworld.com/article/138984/2009/02/people_are_still_having_macbook_crack_problems.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

**** Coming To (iTunes) Pass <http://www.macworld.com/article/139001/2009/02/itunespasscoming.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Corel Painter 11 Unveiled <http://www.macworld.com/article/139010/2009/02/painter.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

According to Corel, Painter 11 includes 40 new and enhanced features including new pressure sensitive brushes, customizable media and enhanced drawing tools. Users can also create their own brushes and customize existing brushes.

**** DoubleTwist Puts A Twist On Media-Sharing <http://www.macworld.com/article/139009/2009/02/doubletwist.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

doubleTwist combines an online service and a desktop app that has access to all of your media. It lets you play your media and share it with others, either via integration with sites like Facebook, Flickr, and YouTube, or over doubleTwist’s own service.

**** Hands On: Safari 4 Beta Fast, Mixes Polish, Rough UI Edges <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/hands-on-safari-4-beta-fast-mixes-polish-rough-ui-edges.ars>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

Apple appears to have created a new UI problem for each new feature it introduced, and at least one staff member has already uninstalled Safari 4 beta because of the aforementioned broken plug-in and bookmarklet problems (however, most bookmarklets, including popups, worked fine in our other testing).

Performance is noticeably faster on large, rich media sites like CNN.com, and even resource management seems to have improved.

**** Google Gives Safari A Kick In The Pants <http://www.macworld.com/article/139011/2009/02/chrome_safari_4.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld

So when I first saw Safari 4 Tuesday morning, I couldn’t help but think that the arrival of Chrome must have had a big impact on the Safari team.

**** Microsoft Office Vulnerability Affects Excel For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/139017/2009/02/excel.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Microsoft is investigating a new vulnerability in Excel that could allow remote code execution if a user opens an infected file. The company said that this vulnerability affects versions of Office for Windows and the Mac.

**** Galatic Assault: Prisoner Of Power <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1024>
by David Allen, Inside Mac Games

**** Ballmer Keeps Close Watch On Apple And Android <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10170883-94.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Dawn kawamoto, CNET

"The truth of the matter is all the consumer market mojo is with Apple and to a lesser extent BlackBerry. And yet, the real market momentum with operators and the real market momentum with device manufacturers seems to primarily be with Windows Mobile and Android," Ballmer said.

**** Safari 4 A Big Step Up, But Not As Far As Rivals <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10170764-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET

With Safari 3, I admired Apple's chutzpah for bringing its browser to Windows. With the new Safari 4 beta, I'm actually starting to admire the browser, too.

**** Safari Challenges Chrome On Web App Speed <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10171145-2.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET

Google's latest version of Chrome has claimed the lead in my JavaScript speed tests, but Apple's new Safari 4 beta is the first browser to challenge it on Google's own performance benchmark.

**** First Look: Safari 4 Beta <http://www.macworld.com/article/139022/2009/02/safari4firstlook.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

While it may take time for some to adjust to tabs on top of the window, the overall feel of Safari 4 Beta is one of speed and efficiency. The user interface does its best to stay out of your way (while still being quite feature-rich), and the low-level changes in the browser mean that web sites load quickly and efficiently.

**** An Apple Netbook Won't Just Be A Notebook For 'Cheapskates' <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02/an_apple_netboo.html>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek

We're not just looking at a cheaper notebook computer here &mdash; which will inevitably be a less-powerful, crappier notebook. We're looking at a completely new category of device here, and low cost is just one of the criteria.

**** As American As Apple Mac <http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2009/02/as_american_as.html>
by J. Nicholas Hoover, InformationWeek

Recently, Apple CEO Steve Jobs, VP of government sales Ron Police, and other key Apple executives acquired government security clearances, according to a source with direct knowledge of Apple's government strategy.

**** OmniWeb, Three Other Omni Apps Available As Freeware <http://www.macworld.com/article/139027/2009/02/omniweb.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

The Omni Group said OmniWeb, OmniDazzle, OmniDiskSweeper, and OmniObjectMeter are all available with no licensing restrictions and are fully functional. The company said none of the applications are currently under active development.

**** My New Mac Pro: Great Mac Or The Greatest Mac? <http://www.macworld.com/article/138981/my_new_mac_pro_great_mac_or_the_greatest_mac.html>
by Scott McNulty, Macworld

My Mac Pro was a great purchase and I would recommend it to anyone who actually read this entire post.

**** Apple Annual Meeting Today <http://www.mercurynews.com/technotebook/ci_11776371?source=rss>
by Troy Wolverton, San Jose Mercury News

The meeting may have some other drama beyond the question of whether Jobs will show. Among other matters, investors will have a deja vu-like chance to vote on a shareholder-sponsored "say on pay" proposal.

**** Apple Investor Riding Tenfold Gain 'Slighted' By Disclosures <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=a85Xk5Zss2AM&refer=us>
by Joseph Galante, Bloomberg

Apple’s disclosures on Jobs’s health have some investors split: They love the company and its products yet say the board should be more forthcoming.

**** Mobile Apps For Music: Look Out iTunes? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2009/tc20090224_607965.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_news+%2B+analysis>
by Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek

Just what the music industry needs: another way to distribute music at a fraction of the cost of a traditional CD.

**** A Tale Of Two Safaris: Mac Stomps Windows <http://cultofmac.com/a-tale-of-two-safaris-mac-stomps-windows/8834>
by Pete Mortensen, Cult Of Mac

On the one hand, I’m delighted to have a blazing-fast new web browser for my Mac. On the other hand, I can’t believe Apple would ship such terrible software for Windows. How are you going to convert anyone when your product is inferior to the status quo?

The experience of QuickTime on Windows is also terrible, especially when compared to the experience on Mac. To a smaller extend, iTunes for Mac is better than iTunes for Windows in the performance arena. Why can't Apple do good Windows programs?

**** Safari 4, The Cinderella Browser, Comes To The Marketing Ball <http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/267975>
by Paul Wallis, Digital Journal

This is a definite grab for profile, long overdue, by an Apple that just might have realized it can grip what it grabs.

**** Apple Updates Apple TV Software To Version 2.3.1 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/25/apple_updates_apple_tv_software_to_version_2_3_1.html>
by Sam Oliver, AppleInsider

Apple over night released a minor software update for owners of its Apple TV set-top media box but it's not clear whether patch delivers any new features.

**** Adobe Patches Flash Vulnerabilities For Three Platforms <http://www.macworld.com/article/139030/2009/02/adobeflash.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service

Adobe Systems has updated its Flash multimedia software to eliminate five flaws affecting Windows, OS X and Linux systems.

**** The Netbook Effect: How Cheap Little Laptops Hit The Big Time <http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/magazine/17-03/mf_netbooks>
by Clive Thompson, Wired

Netbooks prove that we finally know what PCs are actually for. Which is to say, not all that much.

**** Getting Inside A Microsoft Surface Computer <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13860_3-10171472-56.html?tag=mncol>
by Ina Fried, CNET

First, Microsoft showed off its tabletop Surface computer. Then it showed what that might be like as a sphere. At TechFest on Tuesday, Microsoft actually let the user get inside the sphere.

**** Innovation, U.S. Said To Be Losing Competitive Edge <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/technology/25innovate.html?ref=technology>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times

The competitive edge of the United States economy has eroded sharply over the last decade, according to a new study by a nonpartisan research group.

**** For A New Generation, Kimchi Goes With Tacos <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25taco.html?partner=rss>
by Jennifer Steinhauer, New York Times

The food at Kogi Korean BBQ-To-Go, the taco vendor that has overtaken Los Angeles, does not fit into any known culinary category. One man overheard on his cellphone as he waited in line on a recent night said it best: “It’s like this Korean Mexican fusion thing of crazy deliciousness.”

**** Coat-Check Anxiety? Get Over It. <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/25/dining/25feed.html?partner=rss>
by Alex Witchel, New York Times

What is it with people and coat checks?

**** In The Open At Last, A Secret All Women Share <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/health/views/24book.html>
by Abigail Zuger, New York Times

For all our public exploration of everyone else’s bodies, our own personal specimens remain quite private. So when it comes to the onset of menstruation, it is the rare girl who will launch an enthusiastic dialogue with family or friends on the subject.

**** Democracy: PAP Government Is Not PAP <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/02/democracy-pap-government-is-not-pap.html>
by Goh Meng Seng

**** S'pore Gov't <http://maltzajava.net/2009/02/s-pore-gov-t/>
by City-State Life

In Singapore, when something goes wrong, it seems the first place people look for answers is the government.

**** Maybe A Smaller Singapore Population Would Be Better <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_342458.html>
by Lisa Tan, Straits Times

Looking at the current dire economic situation and how many of our very own local talent - mainly the PMETs - have to bear the brunt of job losses and retrenchments, it is apparent that a population size of close to five million is beyond what Singapore can cope with.

**** Why So Many Empty Seats At Budget Debate? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_342549.html>
by Rhea Tan, Straits Times

The MP's role is to represent the people. How can an MP represent us if he is not present sufficiently in Parliament?

**** A Squandered Opportunity To Demand For Accountability From The Government <http://wayangparty.com/?p=5418>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

The regime has failed Singapore by turning its back on accountability and transparency to save its own skin. The state media has failed Singaporeans by keeping mum on such an important national issue. And most importantly we have failed ourselves by not rising up to the occasion.

**** How To Profit From Singapore The New Switzerland Of Asia <http://www.marketoracle.co.uk/index.php?name=News&file=article&sid=9069>
by Tony Sagami, The Market Oracle

In the dog-eat-dog world of business, there is almost always a beneficiary of another business' misery. That is especially true of the attack on secret Swiss bank accounts. Investing in that ‘winner' could be extremely profitable, and that winner could very possibly be Singapore.

**** Hallmark Of Singapore's Local Media <http://musthavebeengood.blogspot.com/2009/02/hallmark-of-singapores-local-media.html>
by Must Have Been Good

Groan. The local nanny media butchered (again!) both Oscar acceptance speeches by Dustin Lance Black and Sean Penn, scriptwriter and lead actor in Milk respectively.

**** Western Spectacles - Look Who's Seeing <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/1975-western-spectacles-look-whos-seeing>
by Singapore Democrats

The picture through any lens &mdash; Western or Asia &mdash; looks astonishingly negligent. But what Mr Lee really meant was not Asian spectacles, but rather the ones put in front of us by the Singapore Press Holdings.

**** The Culture Of Fear Revisited <http://thesunshineson.wordpress.com/2009/02/25/the-culture-of-fear-revisited/>
by The Sun Shines On Singapore

Certainly the minister was talking about online hate speech but are you positive that he was not referring to anti-PAP rhetoric as well?

**** The 'Chope-ing' Vigilante <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/304019.asp>
by Rick Lim Say Kiong, Today

My solution, though drastic, is simple. From now on, I resolve to remove and discard all packets of tissue if I chance upon them at hawker stalls. Even if I do not require the seats, I will do likewise.

**** Crisis Could Cost Singapore 99,000 Jobs <http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/business/story/0,28124,25105367-36418,00.html>
by AAP

Singapore could lose a total of 99,000 jobs during the current recession, with more than half of the cuts in the key manufacturing sector, an analysis by local bank DBS said.

**** 乌节路重造 月底现新貌 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090225_501.shtml>
by 李静仪, 联合早报

耗资4000万元重新打造乌节路的工程就快完工,旅游局希望通过提升乌节路的景致和基础设施,为这条购物街注入活力和朝气。

**** CPF Investment Scheme Lose 38% Of Value In 2008 Due To Credit Crunch <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/411396/1/.html>
by Yasmine Yahya, Channel NewsAsia

Funds included in the CPF Investment Scheme (CPFIS) lost 38 per cent of their value on average last year amid the credit crunch and a crisis in investor confidence.

**** Minimum Income Requirement For Unsecured Credit Relaxed To S$20,000 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/411405/1/.html>
by Mustafa Shafawi, 938 Live

The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) said the revision will allow access to unsecured credit to more individuals who may have occasional genuine borrowing needs but not if they have a spotty record with Credit Bureau Singapore.

**** Singaporeans Understand The Perils Of An Open Economy <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/56d61200-02de-11de-b58b-000077b07658.html?nclick_check=1>
by Chen Hwai Liang, Press Secretary To The Prime Minister, Singapore, Financial Times

Over the 20-year period up to March 31 2008, GIC earned annualised US dollar returns of 7.8 per cent, while Temasek earned 19 per cent. This is not a disreputable record.

**** What The Temasek Debacle Reveals <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/02/what-the-temasek-debacle-reveals/>
by Aloysius Foo, The Online Citizen