[MyAppleMenu] Feb 9, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 9 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Mac Clone Maker Wins Legal Round Against Apple <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9127579&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld

A federal judge last week ruled that Psystar Corp. can continue its countersuit against Apple Inc., giving the Mac clone maker a rare win in its seven-month-old battle with Apple.

He also hinted that if Psytar proves its allegations, others may then be free to sell computers with Mac OS X already installed.

**** Apple App Store Developers Look To Next Level <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/02/08/BU8U15ADEB.DTL>
by Ryan Kim, San Francisco Chronicle

When pressed, developers, who are all effusive in their praise of Apple, have some modest suggestions about how the App Store can evolve. The ideas highlight some of the growing pains the store is undergoing, new opportunities created by it and the developers' own eagerness to do much more with the iPhone and iPod Touch.

**** Apple Could Fall Far From Georgetown <http://www.dcexaminer.com/opinion/columns/HarryJaffe/Apple-could-fall-far-from-Georgetown_02_0839239632.html>
by The Examiner

Georgetown's stuffiness should not prevent D.C. from landing an Apple store. Every "big city" has one. If mayor "CrackBerry" Fenty wants to be a big-city mayor, he should make sure Georgetown doesn't ruin it for the rest of us.

**** iPhone... But In Japan, iAlso Watch TV <http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=213301863>
by Junko Yoshida, EE Times

EE Times has leanred that Siano Mobile Silicon, a mobile digital TV chip supplier, will disclose that its multi-standard mobile digital TV receiver chip is designed into the recently launched iPhone 3G accessory in Japan.

**** My Recent Experience With AppleCare <http://blog.kristankenney.com/2009/02/08/my-recent-experience-with-applecare/>
by Kristan Kenney's Digital Life

I'd have to rate the service I received from AppleCare to be a 10 out of 10.

**** Rise Of The Nerds: Apple Co-Founder Wozniak On 'Dancing With The Stars' <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/1420241,ihnatko-wozniak-dancing-with-the-stars-abc-020809.article>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

Well, that's just an act of genius. That's all you can say. Genius!

**** 5 Ways Steve Jobs' Absence Isn't All Bad For Apple <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=333271>
by Sct Finnie, Computerworld

Jobs or no Jobs, several opportunities exist for Apple.

**** New Games For Jailbroken iPhones Are NSFW <http://cultofmac.com/new-games-for-jailbroken-iphones-are-nsfw/8024>
by Lonnie Lazar, Cult Of Mac

Comes now Variah, with a brand new mobile “gaming” app exclusively for jailbroken iPhones and iPod Touch that lets users interactively touch, strip and stroke beautiful models to climax.

**** EMV Software Releases Pixie Game <http://www.macworld.com/article/138705/2009/02/pixie.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Some iPhoto '09 Features Also Left In The Dust For PowerPC <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/some-iphoto-09-features-also-left-in-the-dust-for-powerpc.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Besides the "Learn to Play" feature of GarageBand '09 being Intel-only, it turns out that some slideshow themes in iPhoto '09 are incompatible with older machines. Better ditch that PowerPC machine now if you want to keep using Apple's software.

**** Miking Drums, Amps, And Recording To The Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/138685/2009/02/miking.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Review: GarageBand '09 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138701/2009/02/garageband09.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

What GarageBand ’09 brings to the table is the possibility that more people--specifically those looking to get some use from a guitar or keyboard crammed in a closet or electric guitar players seeking a more authentic sound--will stick around for a second look.

**** iPhone May Not See Light Of Day In China Thanks To App Store <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/iphone-may-not-see-light-of-day-in-china-thanks-to-app-store.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

The latest rounds of talks with both Steve Jobs and Tim Cook came to a standstill when China Mobile supposedly refused to give up sales of smartphone apps to Apple. "Wang said China Mobile should operate the application store itself in order to maintain its advantage," a source told Interfax China. Another sticking point was that the App Store requires the use of a credit card, whereas most customers in China pay by depositing money into their mobile phone accounts.

**** iMovie Photo Management <http://www.macworld.com/article/138714/2009/02/manageimovieimages.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

If you don’t want your iPhoto library to be cluttered with images you have no interest in keeping, don’t import the photos into iPhoto in the first place. Rather, fling them into a folder somewhere and when you’re ready to place the images in iMovie, drag them from the folder directly into the iMovie project.

**** Review: Jaadu Remote Desktop For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/138718/2009/02/jaadurdp.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Tim Mercer, Macworld

Jaadu RDP is an exceptionally well-built and polished app that stands out among the other remote desktop apps out there, particularly if you’ve got a PC to control.

**** Behind The iPhone's Carrier-Settings Update Message <http://www.macworld.com/article/138715/2009/02/iphonecarriersettings.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Six Years WIth An Apple Cinema Display <http://www.macworld.com/article/138712/2009/02/23cinema6.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

So thanks, Apple, for building such an amazingly long-lasting monitor. I certainly wasn’t expecting it to be looking this good, nor working this well, six years and nearly 20,000 usage hours after I brought it home.

**** Judge: Psystar Can Claim Apple 'Copyright Misuse' <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10159450-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Dawn Kawamoto, CNET

While Judge Alsup found in Psystar's favor by allowing the company to continue its counterclaim with a misuse-of-copyright argument, he denied its motion to amend its claim that Apple's copyright-oriented conduct threatens or harms competition.

**** Turn Your iPhone Into A Web Server <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2983>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet

**** And The Winner Is... The Digital Revolution <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/libby_purves/article5689514.ece>
by Libby Purves, The Times

Forget the Baftas and Oscars, the real star of Revolutionary Road is the computer and the freedom it has brought women.

**** Is There Intelligent Life On Television? <http://www.claremont.org/publications/crb/id.1568/article_detail.asp#2-2-2009>
by Paul A. Cantor, Claremont Review Of Books

In the era of literary deconstruction, it can be refreshing to turn to television books and see critics who are still interested in reconstructing the meaning of the works they discuss. The readers of the new books on television will accept no less, since their reason for turning to these books is to help them better understand their favorite programs. At a time when literary critics often seem to be talking only to each other, the lively market for television books tells us something.

**** The Climate Engineers <http://www.wilsoncenter.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=wq.essay&essay_id=231274>
by James R. Fleming, The Wilson Quarterly

Despite the large, unanswered questions about the implications of playing God with the elements, climate engineering is now being widely discussed in the scientific community and is taken seriously within the U.S. government.

**** Unfinished Business <http://www.economist.com/science/displaystory.cfm?story_id=13059028>
by The Economist

Charles Darwin's ideas have spread widely, but his revolution is not yet complete.

**** Upgrading Schemes Won't Work For SME Employees <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_335775.html>
by Yum Shoen Liang, Straits Times

**** PM Defends Jobs Credit <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_335963.html>
by Aaron Low, Straits Times

One, according to prime minister Lee Hsien Loong, the Jobs Credit Scheme reduces the cost of hiring a Singaproean by paying, on behalf of employers, part of the worker's contribution to his Central Provident Fund (CPF) savings, and two, it encourages companies to hire more Singaporeans.

In doing so, he said the scheme also deals specifically with an overriding worry of Singaporeans: whether they can keep their jobs in this downturn.

**** Wayangparty Send Hamper To MP Seng Han Thong <http://wayangparty.com/?p=4988>
by The Wayang Party Club

We made a mistake in not exercising due caution and deliberation in what was published here. The offensive posts, comments and videos have since been deleted.

**** Rolls Royce, Pratt &amp; Whitney Suspend Singapore Projects <http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSSIN42428320090209>
by Kevin Lim, Reuters

**** Breaking.sg - Singapore's Digg Clone <http://sgentrepreneurs.com/web/2009/02/09/breakingsg-singapores-digg-clone/>
by Ian Timothy, SG Entrepreneuers

**** What Should Ho Ching's New Role Be? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/301054.asp>
by P N Baiji, Today

Having a third member of the Lee family in politics or the cabinet is not just going to be a very difficult cross to carry. The Singapore that we were when former foreign minister and one of the founding members of the PAP, Mr S Rajaratnam proposed a youthful Lee Hsien Loong for politics in 1984 is very different from the Singapore we are in today.

The population is becoming more demanding and judgemental, with a click community sometimes hijacking the debate in a digital world always looking for the next hot-button issue.

**** Temasek Takes Severe Hit <http://nationmultimedia.com/2009/02/09/headlines/headlines_30095260.php>
by Thanong Khanthong, The Nation

Ho Ching's resignation as CEO of Temasek Holdngs would not cloud heavy losses of about 40 per cent at Singapore's sovereign wealth fund amid the global financial market meltdown.

An investment analyst in Singapore in Singapore said that he don't think the resignation has much to do with Temasek's performance. "This is Singapore, favoured people are not made to resign for performance! I think Singapore leaders are more concerned over the sovereign wealth fund issue. It becomes more difficult to defend Singapore's sovereign wealth fund as a non-state actor with no political agenda if the wife of the prime minister is running it."

**** 那把伞 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090208_506.shtml>
by 吴新慧, 联合早报

国家的保护伞,人们总希望越大越好、功能越多越兴奋,但能自备随身携带的伞,最方便也最能灵活使用,不必等有盖人行道,不必等着开伞收伞的指示,收放自如。最重要的是,别自己有了,还想占用别人的。

**** Ho Ching, Murdoch And Lure Of The Brands <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2009/02/ho-ching-murdoch-and-lure-of-the-brands.html>
by Blowin' In THe Wind

So sovereign wealth funds invest billions of dollars in the same way a shopper buys Maxwell House coffee – because he or she likes that particular brand.

But who can resist the lure of brands?

**** Online Self-Regulation In Singapore <http://oldskoolmark.wordpress.com/2009/02/08/online-self-regulation-in-singapore/>
by Oldskoolmark

Obama has already shown successful use of social tools to engage Gen Y during his campaign to become president. It would be interesting to see, for the rest of his term, how he manages to carry on that engagement. It would be a lot to ask for us to move in that direction, but the idealist in me sincerely believes that the leaders we have could bring us to that same level of communications.

**** No-Frills Housing Please, Say Some MPs <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/407689/1/.html>
by Ansley Ng, Today

It is hardly the usual call from Members of Parliament (MPs), who tend to push for upgrading in their constituencies. But two among their ranks are making the call for "no-frills" housing.

**** Proposal For The Opposition, Civil Society And Blogging Community To Get Their Act Together <http://wayangparty.com/?p=4966>
by Fang Zhi Yuan and Lim Siow Kuan, The Wayang Party Club

The take home message from the panelists at the SDP Forum on the future direction of the opposition held at Orchid Copthone Hotel yesterday is unmistakable: The opposition, civil society and blogging community must work together in order to do a “Malaysia” in the next election.

**** Apres Ho Ching, Le Deluge? <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1710&Itemid=32>
by Asia Sentinel

Whatever the performance, the skimpy nature of Temasek's published data makes independent analysis very difficult &mdash; even assuming that the major brokers, rating agencies and investment banks would ever be willing to incur official wrath by attempting to do so.

As for Goodyear, even with the help of a big capital profit on the December sale of PowerSeraya to Malaysia's YTL for S$3.8 billion, his first Annual Review as Ho Ching's successor will need some remarkable accounting contortions if it is not to look grim indeed.

**** MPs Solution To HDB Housing Woes - Build Slums <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/mps-solution-to-hdb-housing-woes-build-slums.html>
by This Lush Garden Within

I don’t think HDB flats and neighbourhoods are anywhere near luxurious in the first place. “No frills” housing? Do those MPs really believe that HDB flats nowadays have lots of “value-added” features?

**** The Voice Of The Void <http://cobaltpaladin.blogspot.com/2009/02/voice-of-void.html>
by A Long And Arduous Road Of An Entrepreneur

We have heart, we just choose to show it appropriately.

**** New Tariff Formula <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_336071.html>
by Straits Times

The Energy Market Authority (EMA) will revise the current formula for electricity tariff to make it less volatile and more reflective of prevailing market conditions. Senior minister of state for trade and industry S Iswaran said EMA plans to use the fuel oil price data over a three month period to set the tariff, instead of the current practice of using only one month's price data.

**** The Singapore Pakatan? <http://youngpapblog.blogspot.com/2009/02/singapore-pakatan.html>
by Nicholas Lazarus, Young PAP Blog

I don’t think the opposition have any shared goal. Theirs seems a pursuit of their own agendas to the detriment of their fellow oppositionists. A "Pakatan" indeed!

**** $330, One Youth And A Minister <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2009/02/330-one-youth-and-minister.html>
by Mr Wang Says So

Dr Vivian seemed to suggest that if the PAP government gave more than $330, then it would somehow become a bloated, inefficient, irrational, ill-disciplined and incompetent organisation.

How exactly that would happen - I do not know. But then again, Vivian's imagination is probably much more powerful than mine.

**** Holding Lee Kuan Yew Accountable - Part 1 <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/special-feature/1881-holding-lee-kuan-yew-accountable-part-1>
by Chee Soon Juan, Singapore Democrats

Herein lies the danger, which is that of allowing one man to call the shots and of accepting Mr Lee's propaganda that he and the people he has anointed are the only one's who have the answers to our future. This danger must be highlighted, and highlighted again and again until it drenches our national psyche.

**** Is Singapore Cracking Up? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/02/is-singapore-cracking-up.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

Too many in Singapore have trusted too few for too long.

**** Recent Comments Not To Control, But To Discredit Internet Content <http://mathialee.wordpress.com/2009/02/10/recent-comments-not-to-control-but-to-discredit-internet-content/>
by Mathia Lee

The message the internet-un-saavy electorate will remember is that any news from the internet is written by unkind, unjust, violent terrorists, who spout inaccurate information, with the evil underlying motive of brainwashing the good Singaporeans.

Internet political content has just acquired the same reputation as pornography and criminals.

**** Temasek, The Now Slightly Less Singaporean Singapore SWF <http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2009/02/09/temasek-the-now-slightly-less-singaporean-singapore-swf/>
by Jason Leow, Wall Street Journal

As an outsider, Goodyear could help reinforce Temasek’s message to foreign governments that the fund conducts it business solely with commercial considerations and without political motives.