[MyAppleMenu] Feb 8, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 8 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Apple Hints At A Tough Legal Stance; Is It Patently Risky? <http://online.barrons.com/article/SB123396541170758861.html>
by Eric J. Savitz, Barron's

**** Review: Apple's iWork '09 Gets Online Sharing, 'Evolutionary' Updates <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9127389&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld

For $79, iWork '09 is a solid suite for newcomers and a worthy upgrade for current users, even if it seems like a largely incremental update. There are a variety of useful additions to all three applications, though Numbers is probably the one with the most changes.

For many users, iWork serves as a viable and cost-effective alternative to Microsoft Office, one that distinguishes itself with ease of use and the visual flair it can add to data, documents and presentations. With a free trial version available, users who have been curious about iWork can take it for a thorough test drive before deciding whether to buy.

**** Macs Appear On More Government Desktops <http://www.govtech.com/gt/articles/617235>
by Merrill Douglas, Government Technology

A growing trend toward "consumerization" in the workplace has seen more employees asking for the IT products they prefer, or simply bringing in products they buy themselves.

**** A Software Designer Knows His Office Space, Too <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/realestate/commercial/08sqft.html?_r=1&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink>
by Claire Wilson, New York Times

A client who claims to know something about design might be an architect's worst nightmare. But it turns out that Joel Spolsky, a software designer, author and blogger, actually knows a lot about it.

**** I'm A Control Freak <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2009/02/08/im_a_control_freak/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Globe+Magazine>
by Jeana Lee Tahnk, Boston Globe

THe CEO of the household -- that's me. But could I let my husband take over in a pinch?

**** My Blog Ate My Career <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2009/02/08/my_blog_ate_my_career/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Globe+Magazine>
by Linda Keenan, Boston Globe

I'm perfectly qualified for a job -- just don't look me up online.

**** What's Your New Plan B? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/08/weekinreview/08segal.html?_r=1>
by David Segal, New York Times

We have the new Plan B, which can be summarized this way: the best you can make of a worst-case scenario, the deal you cut with a fate you might be unable to avoid.

**** Temasek's Coming New World <http://theedgesingapore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2010%3Atemaseks-coming-new-world&catid=972%3AAssif+Shameen+%282009%29&Itemid=54>
by The Edge Singapore

The incoming Temasek CEO's biggest asset will e as a strong public frace for Singapore's more visible SWF. Because Ho was the unfair target of potshots for her relationship with prime minister Lee Hsien Loong, who is her husband, she had chosen to stay away from the limelight, avoiding media interviews and press conferences. That, unfortunately, denied Temasek the ability to tell its side of the story more effectively.

**** Ageing And Willing <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2009/02/ageing-and-willing.html>
by Singapore Life And Times

No, he wasn't the fiery speaker, never was anyway. And yes, he was often ignored, even in his heyday. But he always came across as ever sincere, earnest and honest.

**** No Need To Know How President Uses His Second Key, Says Government <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-982.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

When the PAP wants to spend its "own" money, of course the process has to be quick and easy. WHen a future non-PAP goernment asks to do so, it must prove extremely difficult (assuming that the president had been installed by a PAP government).

To institutionalise the process by which the president and the CPA should evaluate and decide, through the example of the current request, would be to lay down a procedure that makes things much too easy for future non-PAP governments. Better to keep it opaque.

**** Real Culprit Spreading Lies About Cause Of Fire Attack On Seng Han Thong Is SPH!! <http://wayangparty.com/?p=4979>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

It is unbecoming, unprofessional and unethical for a major Chinese daily to publish such fictitious hogwash without even checking on its veracity and accuracy and what’s more embarrassing is the source of the misinformation come from themselves in the first place!

**** The Untruths About Jobs Credit! <http://kwayteowman.blogspot.com/2009/02/untruths-about-jobs-credit.html>
by The Kway Teow Man

The JCS makes locals about 10% cheaper to hire than foreigners. Now, it turns out that the JCS is also targetted to jobs that pay less than $2,500 per month because these are likely non-executive jobs that are most sensitive to costs.

If people think carefully about it, what the JCS is doing is not exactly stopping retrenchments, but where there are retrenchments, move Singaporeans avourably down the list. So, what we care about are the retrenchments numbers for Singaporeans.

**** Trust, But Verify <http://geraldgiam.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/trust-but-verify/>
by Gerald Giam

How can you have trust without transparency?

**** More Thoughts On Jobs Credit Scheme <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2009/02/more-thoughts-on-jobs-credit-scheme.html>
by Siew Kum Hong

Te employers' CPF contribution rate for most locals (excluding older locals, etc.) is 14.5%. JCS equates to a 9% point reduction in that rate. So local employees are still 5.5% more expensive than foreign employees.