[MyAppleMenu] Feb 4, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Feb 4 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** Funtastic Photos 1.0.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138614/2009/02/funtasticphotos.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by James Dempsey, Macworld

The program is perfect for scrapbookers, those who wish to customize their images before sharing on the Web, and users who want a little more in the way of image adjustment than iPhoto offers. With such a wide variety of tools, there’s little reason for non-professionals to look at other options&mdash;Funtastic Photos has a little bit for everyone.

**** Dropbox: A Collaborator's Dream <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10048>
by David Weintraub, TidBITS

**** What A Long Strange Trip Back To Pismo <http://lowendmac.com/webb/04/0329.html>
by Kevin Webb, Low End Mac

The Pismo is still considered a wonderful machine almost five years since its initial release.

**** In Campaign Wars, Apple Still Has Microsoft's Number <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/business/media/04adco.html>
by Brad Stone, New York Times

Apple's ads have fared better than Microsoft's in the war for consumers' hearts.

**** Microsoft Vs. Apple: Beware Of Your 'Killer Instinct' <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2953>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet

Redmond: Make sure your "killer instinct" isn't pointed at your own foot.

**** Apple Sued Four Times In Two Weeks Over iPhone 3G Speeds <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/02/03/apple_sued_four_times_in_two_weeks_over_iphone_3g_speeds.html>
by Zach Spear, AppleInsider

**** Apple Documentary Receives Positive Feedback <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/02/03/welcome.to.macintosh/>
by MacNN

The documentary Welcome to Macintosh has reportedly received positive feedback and praise during a recent screening that included several Apple personalities.

**** Review: Parallels Desktop <http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/laptops/reviews/review-parallels-desktop/2009/02/02/1233423188152.html>
by Adam Turner, The Sydney Morning Herald

**** Apple TV: Time To Get Serious <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/feb2009/tc2009023_256119.htm>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

Apple should give programmers the software developers' kit they need to make the device more flexibile and useful. Buy the box, and you can buy or rent from iTunes&mdash;and if that's not enough, there are hundreds of easy-to-install apps that will let you watch whatever you want from the internet.

Will Apple give up the dream of having iTunes be the place to distribute media content?

**** Rumor Mill Killing Apple <http://hardware.silicon.com/pdas/0,39024643,39391081,00.htm>
by Seb Janacek, Silicon.com

The rumor mill is now a major liability for the Mac maker.

**** Review: Print For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/138627/2009/02/print_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeff Merron, Macworld

Print from EuroSmartz is a nifty but limited utility that enables you to print web pages, photos, and contact information from your iPod touch or iPhone.

**** Apple Updates GarageBand '09 <http://www.macworld.com/article/138640/2009/02/gbupdate.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

The update improves overall stability, according to notes included with the update. The new version also addresses specific issues with downloading lessons from the Learn to Play Lesson Store.

**** Norway: No Reason To Hound Apple Over DRM Any Longer <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/02/norway-we-have-no-reason-to-pursue-apple-over-drm-anymore.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Norway's consumer watchdog group has nothing left to complain about after Apple announced that DRM on iTunes Store music would be going the way of the dodo. That's why it's now dropping the case against Apple and moving on to bigger and better things.

**** An iPhone Without A Data Plan? Does Not Compute <http://www.macworld.com/article/138642/2009/02/iphone_nodata.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

Ask your average iPhone user if they spend more time on the phone or on the Net, and I guarantee that the majority of them will say something to the effect of "Holy crap, it makes phone calls too?"

**** Big Kahuna Reef 2 <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=981>
by Ted Bade, Inside Mac Games

It's an addictive game and worth the price. I highly recommend it.

**** Don't Work For Assholes <http://powazek.com/posts/1733>
by Powazek

Nine times out of ten, the first impression someone gives you is exactly who they are. We choose not to see it because we need the money, or we want the situation to be different. But if someone rubs you the wrong way at the first meeting, chances are, it’s only going to get worse.

**** Some Fear Google's Power In Digital Books <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/02/technology/internet/02link.html?_r=1>
by Noam Cohen, New York Times

There will be lawsuits.

**** NYT's Keller: We're Looking For Ways To Charge For Online Content Again <http://www.paidcontent.org/entry/419-nyts-keller-were-looking-for-ways-to-charge-for-online-content-again/>
by David Kaplan, paidContent.org

The discussions are revolving around four of the most popular themes: subscription model, micropayments, revenue sharing via devices like Amazon’s Kindle and the non-profit route.

**** Lessons From <i>Groundhog Day</i> <http://www.good.is/?p=15212>
by Cliff Kuang, Good

It's a charming, big-hearted story whose major features&mdash;time travel and redemption&mdash;scream for interpretation. Science, religion, and economics have each provided one.

**** Alms For The Press? <http://www.slate.com/id/2210333/?from=rss>
by Jack Shafer, Slate

The case against foundation ownership of the New York Times.

**** A Vast And Sudden Sadness <http://www.newsweek.com/id/182572/page/1>
by Claudia Kaib, Newsweek

Each year thousands of families experience stillbirth. As science seeks causes, parents use photography to honor their babies and cope with their grief.

**** Restaurants Stop Playing Hard To Get <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/dining/04note.html>
by Frank Bruni, New York Times

Has a restaurant hugged you lately?

**** Clifton's Cafeteria: The Place Where L.A. Finds Itself <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-cliftons4-2009feb04,0,6044348.story?track=rss>
by Mary MacVean, Los Angeles Times

On Broadway downtown &mdash; amid a jumble of shops selling gold necklaces and sports socks and electric guitars, amid exhaust and noise and has-been theaters, amid hipsters, the down and out and the just plain out of it &mdash; an authentic piece of history goes about the business it began during the Great Depression, feeding everyone who walks through the glass doors.

**** The Refrigerator Personality Test <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-calcook4-2009feb04,0,5774103.story?track=rss>
by Russ Parsons, Los Angeles Times

Every once in a while, it's good to take stock of the fridge, if only to discover what's in all those little jars.

**** Job Credit Scheme Is A Misnomer! <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/02/job-credit-scheme-is-misnomer.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

The Jobs Credit Scheme is nothing more than a 'wag-the-dog' scheme to help companies and put the Government in a good light.

**** Misconceptions About The Singapore Democrats <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/special-feature/1796-misconceptions-about-the-singapore-democrats>
by Singapore Democrats

**** The Truth About Jobs Credit! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/02/truth-about-jobs-credit.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

**** Job Credit Scheme: False Dilemmas Aplenty <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/job-credit-scheme-false-dilemmas-aplenty/>
by Groundnotes

All Low was did was to point out the obvious - the Job Credit scheme is no use for an employee whose employer needs to cut wage costs pronto. Instead of addressing this point, Heng in return presents a false dilemma by offering Low a stark choice between praising the Job Credit scheme and not doing anything at all.

**** School Bars Students From Mall - But Is Ban Working? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,191705,00.html>
by Julian Lee, New Paper

Coral Secondary School forbids any student in uniform from entering the nearby White Sands shopping mall in Pasir Ris, among other things. The rule, which was imposed several years ago, also forbids students in uniform from hanging out at the neighbouring housing estate.

One word: stupid.

**** Recession: Singaporeans Come First <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_333890.html>
by Edmund Lin, Straits Times

Most foreigners choose to stay here for utilitarian reasons, unlike the reasons why native-born Singaporeans live on this island.

**** Flawed Job Credit Scheme Benefits Employers More Than Workers <http://wayangparty.com/?p=4819>
by Fang Zhi Yuan and Jeremy Koh, The Wayang Party Club

**** School Bars Students From Mall: Is This Logical? <http://singaporeenquirer.sg/?p=1802>
by Daniel Ling, Singapore Enquirer

**** In Singapore, A Renovated Shop House <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/04/greathomesanddestinations/04gh-singapore.html>
by Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, New York Times

**** Why Singapore's Not Iceland <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/300240.asp>
by Esther Fung, Today

Minister of state (defence) Koo Tsai Kee said: "If Singapore had followed WSJA's prescriptions, Singapore could well have become 'Iceland on the Straits.'"

**** Singapore Central Bank Says Hasn't Used Fed Swap Facility <http://in.reuters.com/article/asiaCompanyAndMarkets/idINSIN42647320090203>
by Kevin Lim, Reuters

Singapore's central bank said late on Tuesday that it has not drawn on a $30 billion swap facility establiehed with the U.S. Federal Reserve and did not see a need to do so soon.

**** What If Watchdogs Got Bonuses? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/03/business/03sorkin.html>
by Andrew Ross Sorkin, New York Times

Maybe the regulators, like Wall Streeters, would start thinking about the money, rather than what is right. But maybe that's exactly what Wall Street needs to slow down.

**** Key Parties To Skip Forum <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_334072.html>
by Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

The need for unity and identifying the future direction of the opposition in Singapore are among issues to be discussed at a forum on Saturday - but several key parties are giving the event a miss.

**** Follow The Ships In Singapore... <http://blogs.sun.com/bobp/entry/follow_the_ships_in_singapore>
by Bob Porras

I was speaking with folks about Singapore's Port Terminal and why so many ships at port. I was not surprised to find out that many of the ships are short term moored, since imports and exports have slowed. One individual told me that ship movements started to slow in October, then some more in November and plummeted in December. The decrease in port activity is in direct correlation with the economic slow down worldwide. Another person described the port activity as "crawling."

**** 反对雇用补贴等于反工人? <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090204_516.shtml>
by 周殊钦, 联合早报

确实,公积金就如同人们的“储备金”,任何动用老本的举措,都会触动人们的敏感神经。不只是反对党议员和官委议员,就连多名执政党议员也担心政府所作出的打开国库的决定,是种理财不慎的表现,而纷纷要求财长详尽说明政府动用储备金的依据和原则。

**** That Is Why We Need More Opposition MPs In Parliament <http://singaporeanskeptic.blogspot.com/2009/02/that-is-why-we-need-more-opposition-mps.html>
by Singaporean Skeptic

You have PAP MPs who hide behind their superiority in numbers to attack the opposition.

**** The Great Spy Experiment <http://somesuperman.livejournal.com/21145.html>
by Somesuperman

I mean its perfectly fine when we are with our parents! Its not like we are going to cause trouble in front of our parents. And they should really let us go in to eat. We get hungry too! school food isn't that appetising. I mean come on! We have to live with those same stall for our 4 or 5 years in coral! I predict tomorrow is going to be a longgggg assembly.

**** The Singapore Economic Model Works <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123369524433044773.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Chin Sau Ho, Ministry of Finance, Singapore Government, Wall Street Journal

Singapore will constantly review and update its economic strategies, but we have not done too badly. The economy has grown by over 5% per year on average in the decade since the Asian crisis, well above any economy with broadly comparable income levels. Unemployment rates have also been amongst the lowest in the world. This hardly suggests that Singapore is a failed model.

**** Ganging Up On Low Thia Khiang <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/ganging-up-on-low-thia-khiang.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye Hear Ye

I think problem with Low’s argument is that he was not comparing apples with apples. It seems to me the Job Credit scheme was never designed to save jobs for companies that are on the verge of collapse. The scheme is meant to help sound companies lower their costs so that they can continue operating even when demand has dropped significantly.

**** Internet Not An Effective Self-Regulated Regime, Says MICA <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/406812/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Contrary to what some may feel, Singapore's senior minister of state for information, communications and the arts, Lui Tuck Yew, says the internet is not an effective self-regulated regime.

**** Singapore, Malaysian Banks Hit By Bad Debt, Weak Markets <http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUKSIN41560720090204>
by Saeed Azhar, Reuters

Slowing loan growth, mounting losses from bad debts and falling fee income from slumping capital markets will cut quarterly earnings for banks in Singapore and Malaysia by as much as a third, with an even rougher ride expected in 2009 as the global economy worsens.

**** GIC's Investments Decline In Value In Wake Of Global Financial Meltdown <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/406815/1/.html>
by Wong Siew Ying, Channel NewsAsia

The Ministry of Finance said the Government of Singapore Investment Corporation (GIC) has performed well over the long term. But its investment have lost value just like other institutional investors in view of the financial meltdown.

**** Singapore Government Says: Internet Very Unruly And Unkind, Not Self-Regulated Enough <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2009/02/if-you-never-say-things-we-want-you-to-say-you-are-not-responsible-netizen.html>
by mrbrown

Coffee shop uncles and netizens should all take a leaf from our responsible and balanced press and assorted local mainstream media. That is where true self-regulation and nation-building takes place.

**** Films Act Changes Target Civil Disobedience Videos <http://journalism.sg/2009/02/04/films-act-changes-target-civil-disobedience-videos/>
by Cherian George, Journalism.sg

The amendments that have been tabled in Parliament aren't only about opening up space for free expression. The government is also taking the opportunity to tighten the noose around civil disobedience.

**** February 4, 2009 <http://breakmyheartplease.blogspot.com/2009/02/secondary-school-in-news.html>
by Ayasaka Kagali, NothingIsWorthIt

My whole four years in CSS, I was never caught once, tho' nearly once (if my friend didn't pull me away before I stepped into White Sands.)

**** We Are Coralll... Not <http://oopsnicotine.blogspot.com/2009/02/we-are-coralll-not.html>
by Angels Seeping Through

We're not even allowed to walk in whitesands after school, we are expected to walk a big round around whitesands to get to the bus interchange. What kind of crap rule is that?

**** Job Credits - A Good Sign For Soon-To-Be Grads <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=290>
by The Kent Ridge Common

Perhaps, the scheme will tilt the balance of competitiveness between local graduates and foreigners. And perhaps, our soon-to-be graduates of 2009 may face a kinder job market.

**** Coffee Shop Talk Not An Effective Self-Regulated Regime <http://ringisei.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/coffee-shop-talk-not-an-effective-self-regulated-regime/>
by Ringisei

Mdm Liu Lao Lao added that coffee shop community had not done enough to rebut some of the unhelpful comments delivered by fellow patrons.

**** TAAI To Stop Selling Packages To Singapore <http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/taai-to-stop-selling-packages-to-spore/17/08/347872/>
by Business Standard

The Travel Agents Association of India (TAAI) has decided to stop selling packages to Singapore and withdraw its support to the city-state as a destination.

**** Rare Singapore Protest Over Sri Lanka War: Report <http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?sectionName=RSSFeed-World&id=b80cc7d1-ad8c-4359-abd1-5a1132263720&MatchID1=4922&TeamID1=4&TeamID2=2&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1244&PrimaryID=4922&Headline=Rare+Singapore+protest+over+Sri+Lanka+war%3a+report>
by AFP

Four people held a rare protest march in tightly controlled Singapore on Wednesday to appeal for British help in ending the war in Sri Lanka, a report said.