[MyAppleMenu] Feb 1, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 1 18:59:00 EST 2009

**** Review: iStat For iPhone Cool, But Not For Sysadmins <http://arstechnica.com/apple/iphone/apps/2009/01/review-istat-for-iphone.ars>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica

Remote system monitoring from your iPhone: does iStat have what server admins want, or does it only meet the needs of casual home server admins?

**** Adobe, Apple Working Together On Flash For iPhone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/01/31/adobe_apple_working_together_on_flash_for_iphone.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Once thought to be building Flash for the iPhone mostly on its own, Adobe has mentioned at the World Economic Forum that it's not only continuing work on the animation plug-in but has teamed up with Apple to make it a reality.

**** Drobo Saga: Part 2 <http://speirs.org/2009/01/31/drobo-saga-part-2/>
by Fraser Speirs

The DR people were very apologetic over the way the technical support incident was handled. In particular, they made it clear that literally everything I had been told by DR tech support was wrong, which tells you a story in itself.

**** Apple's Touch Gets Lost In Suffle <http://www.courant.com/business/custom/consumer/hc-huntcol-0201,0,6722957.column>
by Kevin Hunt, Hartford Courant

The Touch changed everything.

**** Can't Toss That Old Mac? Transform It <http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/158682/cant_toss_that_old_mac_transform_it.html>
by Ashley Laurel Wilson, CIO.com

More alternative uses for Mac computers are popular these days. Mac usage has never been so outrageous.

**** Adobe And Apple Working To Bring Flash To The iPhone? We've Heard That Before <http://venturebeat.com/2009/02/01/adobe-and-apple-working-to-bring-flash-to-the-iphone-weve-heard-that-before/>
by Mg Siegler, VentureBeat

After so many false starts, I'll believe Flash is coming to the iPhone when it's actually there, on my device.

**** The Economics Of Giving It Away <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123335678420235003.html>
by Chris Anderson, Wall Street Journal

In a battered economy, free goods and services online are more attractive than ever. So how can the suppliers make a business model out of nothing?

**** OpenTable Files For IPO, Finally <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10153937-2.html?tag=mncol>
by Rafe Needleman, CNET

**** John Updike's Mighty Pen <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/weekinreview/01mcgrath.html>
by Charles McGrath, New York Times

There was something endearingly quaint about these little inky imprints -- a legacy perhaps of a Depression boyhood and a lifetime habit of efficiency -- but they also reflected his enduring fascination with the magic of print.

**** Whisper It: You Don't Need To Have Read John Updike <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/4401990/Whisper-it-you-dont-need-to-have-read-John-Updike.html>
by James Delingpole, Telegraph

It is impossible - and unnecessary - to grapple with every 'must read' of the literary canon.

**** A Slow New York Passage, Up To Organic Food <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/31/nyregion/31metjournal.html?ref=todayspaper>
by Glenn Collins, New York Times

The elevator at the store, on Broadway at West 74th Street in Manhattan, is ponderously slow. It is famously cramped.

**** Our Love Affair With Malls Is On The Rocks <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/business/01mall.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper>
by David Segal, New York Times

In other words, shopping was part of the problem and now it's part of the cure. And once we're cured, economists report, we really need to learn how to save, which suggests that we will need to quit shopping again.

**** So Where Are The Jobs For Singaporeans? <http://politicssg.blogspot.com/2009/01/so-where-are-jobs-for-singaporeans.html>
by Sex Sells, So Does Politics

If you are holding a degree and working as a professional/senior executive/manager, pray hard that your job is here to stay!

**** Singapore 'Cooks Up' Petrol Prices <http://www.thedaily.com.au/news/2009/feb/01/singapore-cooks-petrol-prices/>
by Alan Lander, Sunshine Coast Daily

Geoff Trotter of Fueltrac thinks it's a "cook-up" by the oil companies in Singapore, because he can't find any triggers in the currency exchange rate, refinery problems or spikes in demand to explain it otherwise.

**** Singapore's Economy: Has The Government Been Caught With Its Pants Down? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2109>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

The government has spent most of 2008 fighting inflation rather than preparing for deflation, which is what the global economy, and in particular Singapore, is likely to experience in the months ahead.

**** How To Inflict Selective Amnesia <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/02/01/how-to-inflict-selective-amnesia/>
by Groundnotes

Singapore has just taken the erasing of history to new heights.

**** 4 Issues With Singapore Startups <http://ac-idealog.blogspot.com/2009/01/4-issues-with-singapore-startups.html>
by Aaron Chua, Wild Illusions

**** Rush For PR Status <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_332928.html>
by Cassandra Chew, Straits Times

More foreigners are applying for PR status for fear of losing their jobs during recession.

**** Singapore Must Be Disciplined, Not Dip Into Reserves At First Signs Of Trouble <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/406214/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's senior minister Goh Chok Tong has said the country must be disciplined and not dip into the reserves at the first signs of trouble.

**** Why There Is No 'Malaysiakini' In Singapore <http://wayangparty.com/?p=4721>
by Fang Zhi Yuan and Lim Siow Kuan, The Wayang Party Club

Singapore journalists have too much to lose by going against the wishes of the government.

**** The Wages Of Deceit <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/02/the-wages-of-deceit/>
by The Online Citizen

The recent plight of some foreign workers throws up uneasy questions.