[MyAppleMenu] Aug 23, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 23 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** How To Take Great Action Photos With Your iPhone 3GS <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/cultofmac/bFow/~3/-LbXyBHybCg/14957>
Giles Turnbull, Cult of Mac

**** The Real Truth About Apple And Google And Arrington <http://www.techcrunchit.com/2009/08/22/the-real-truth-about-apple-and-google-and-arrington/>
Steve Gillmor, TechCrunch IT

Apple is conspiring with Google to force the FCC to “force” Apple to, regrettably, open the door to VoIP and the Universal Inbox.

**** Distinctions Without Differences: Apple's Inconsistent App Store Rejection Policies <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/08/22/distinctions-without-differences-apples-inconsistent-app-store/>
Sang Tang, TUAW

**** Finally ‘Thirtysomething’? <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=7d0ecabfd1415e78618940ef0dee3801>
Porochista Khakpour, New York Times

In this second-chance viewing as a thirtysomething, I am amazed and inspired by all the everything-in-between, all the nothing-happening, all the ambivalence and the stagnation.

**** 新加坡的警察都是不负责的 <http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_5a0116860100f14t.html>
阴天倦怠

**** Two Minds, One Theory <http://butterflycircle.blogspot.com/2009/08/two-minds-one-theory.html>
Butterflies Of Singapore

**** Botak Jones To Be Singaporean <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_420339.html>
Straits Times

He is the tall 'botak' (bald) ang moh famously known as Botak Jones. Come this Friday, he will proudly become a Singaporean.

**** Singapore Prime Minister: Religion Threatens Stability <http://www.reporternews.com/news/2009/aug/20/singapore-prime-minister-religion-threatens/?printer=1/&FORM=ZZNR9>
Associated Press

Singapore’s prime minister said in his National Day speech that “aggressive preaching” by religious groups and evangelizing threaten the tiny city-state’s stability.

Lee Hsien Loong, a Buddhist by birth, said his education at the island’s Roman Catholic High School was an example of how different religions can coexist peacefully.

**** Property Gains Tax Proposed Because Of Earlier Feedback <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1000355/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The finance ministry said the property gains tax was proposed because of earlier feedback. Speaking at a community event on Sunday, second finance minister Lim Hwee Hua said certain property investors had wanted more certainty regarding the current rules.

**** 别再怪天气了 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090823_008.shtml>
周文龙, 联合早报

有人说,新加坡是一个冷气机国家,我们最大的幸福(或成就)就是制造了一个巨大的冷气机,让每个人都能舒适地在冷气房里创作艺术,不用饱受烈日爆晒。

所以,别再怪天气了,即使我们真的把爱丁堡的天气移植新加坡,就会变得艺术了吗?又或者,我们只会躲在那摄氏26度的冷气房里,赞叹窗外美妙的天气,却始终不敢走出大门一步?

**** An Afterthought: The Prime Minister’s National Day Message 2009 <http://temasekreview.com/?p=12190>
Bhaskaran Kunju, The Temasek Review

**** Minimum Wage And Not "Handouts" Is The Answer <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2692-minimum-wage-and-not-qhandoutsq-is-the-answer>
Gandhi Ambalam, Singapore Democrats

What we are advocating is a rational and sustainable policy where we strike a balance between having guest workers in Singapore and at the same ensure that our people earn enough to lead meaningful lives so that the benefits of economic grwoth is shared by all.

**** Is Religion A Threat To Singapore? <http://talesovercoffee.blogspot.com/2009/08/is-religion-threat-to-singapore.html>
Tales Over Coffee

Race and religion are major contention points everywhere. There is always some religious persecution and tension.

**** Religion And Politics <http://www.blogpastor.net/2009/08/religion-and-politics/>
Blogpastor

But I do wonder about the rightness of taking things further in situations of great oppression and injustice that impoverishes and tramples the general population?

**** Defendimg Our Nation's Core Values - Democracy, Peace, Progress, Justice And Equality <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/08/defendimg-our-nations-core-values.html>
Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

The PAP refuses to acknowledge that these founding principles and spirit are the key guiding stars of our nation's development. The reason is simple, they could not answer for their deeds for the past 44 years that have deviated away from these core values.

**** P65 Bloggers Keen To Engage In Meaningful Debate - No Party Line To Toe <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_420407.html>
Khartini Khalid, on behalf of the P65 bloggers, Straits Times

There is no official party line to toe, and none of us has to seek clearance from any individual before putting up a post on the blogsite.

But is it just an echo chamber? (Or an empty chamber?) We'll be able to tell soon enough.

**** Lauding Nation's Achievements And Criticising Deficiencies Not Mutually Exclusive <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_420408.html>
Loh Choong Chiat, Straits Times

Being appreciative of Singapore's achievements and being critical of the deficiencies are not mutually exclusive.