[MyAppleMenu] Aug 2, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 2 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Vs My Preconceived Notions <http://rc3.org/2009/08/01/apple-vs-my-preconceived-notions/>
by Rafe Colburn, rc3.org

In one scenario, this is a bubble of sorts. Apple may be doing OK now, but they’re headed for a big crash when people get sick of their behavior. In another scenario — one that I think is, sadly, more likely, Apple continues as they are, adjusting when it must to address reality, but only in the most minimal way.

**** Hey Mike, I Told You So <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2009/08/01/heyMikeIToldYouSo.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News

The only platform that really works is a platform with no platform vendor, and that's the Internet. Steve Jobs is the anti-Internet.

**** Re: An Observation About Apples Claims On Jamming <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/20090801171445:54BDA3CE-7EE0-11DE-A676-6BB911F6C9C8/>
by Ronald Lachman, IP

Corporations rarely defend their positions in court primarily by saying "we do this so we have better odds of making more money". Apple doesn't deny they do this to preserve their relationship with the carriers, they are merely adding additional "technical reasons" for their position.

**** AT&T: App Store Rejections Are All Apple's Fault <http://mashable.com/2009/08/01/att-app-store/>
by Pete Cashmore, Mashable

The short of it: AT&T is claiming no direct involvement with App Store rejections.

**** Apple Finally Gives iPhone Devs Estimated App Approval Time <http://www.loopinsight.com/2009/08/01/apple-final-gives-iphone-devs-estimated-app-approval-time/>
by The Loop

It’s not much, but it’s something. iPhone app developers on Saturday got a little gift from Apple when they logged into their accounts — estimated approval times.

**** City's Apple Stores Become Second Office And Tourist Attraction <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nydailynews.com%2Fmoney%2F2009%2F08%2F02%2F2009-08-02_citys_apple_stores_buzz_as_chic_magnet.html&usg=AFQjCNHsUoxrwBrhgxWUD3xjo7KAYaApgA>
by New York Daily News

New York's Apple stores - which first debuted in the city in 2002 - have become more than just a place to buy the latest iPhone.

They are now uber-cool destinations of choice where everyone from the ultra-chic to techie geeks flock day and night.

**** How Apple Can Mess With Your Life <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-10301532-71.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Chris Matyszczyk, CNET News

**** Game Utilizes Human Intuition To Help Computers Solve Complex Problems <http://www.ns.umich.edu/htdocs/releases/story.php?id=7252>
by University Of Michigan News Service

A new computer game prototype combines work and play to help solve a fundamental problem underlying many computer hardware design tasks.

**** Appointments With Death <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/opinion/02white.html?_r=1>
by Stephen White, New York Times

“You know about them, right?” She allowed me barely a second to reply before she added, “Come on.” She punctuated the plea with a hurried sigh, a little huff that I found more plaintive than insistent. “Don’t play opaque shrink with me, please. I don’t have ... time. Just tell me you know about them.”

**** George Yeo’s Meet The People Session At McDonald’s <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/08/george-yeos-meet-the-people-session-at-mcdonalds/>
by Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** Foreigners Compete With Locals For Dealers’ Job At Marina Bay Sands <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11576>
by The Temasek Review

The competition for limited vacancies also helps to depress the wages of unskilled blue collar workers. The median salary for the low-income group has remained stagnant for the last decade.

**** Making The Impossible Possible <http://www.hindu.com/mag/2009/08/02/stories/2009080250180500.htm>
by The Hindu

In Singapore, the celebration and promotion of the arts has always moved in tandem with the socio-economic development of the country and its focus on nation building. This connection is pronounced in the metamorphosis of the arts festival.

**** An Amusing Paradox: Hanging National Flags In HDB Estates <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11548>
by The Temasek Review

We started out as a nation of immigrants and now we are being flooded by new migrants. The British colonial government is replaced by another nanny state run by a small exclusive group of elites disconnected with the suffering of the masses. Singapore is still far away from attaining real nationhood.

**** Unemployment – Important Statistics Missing From Media Reports <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/08/unemployment-important-statistics-missing-from-media-reports/>
by The Online Citizen

**** What An Elaborate Way To Keep Us In The Dark, Temasek <http://temasekreview.com/?p=11512>
by Gangasudhan, The Temasek Review

**** Woman With No Underlying Medical Conditions Dies In 6th H1N1-related ... <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/446342/1/.html?FORM=ZZNR2>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** Films Act Shenanigans Are Pitiful And Pathetic <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=3480>
by Sgpolitics.net

Clearly the law applies to some and not to all.

**** SDP's Vision And Values: Full Text Of Chee's Party Address <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2620-sdps-vision-and-values-full-text-of-chees-party-address>
by Singapore Democrats

We have laid the foundation and it is sound. We must continue to strengthen this foundation while simultaneously erect the pillars that will allow us to build a party based on our vision and our values, one that Singaporeans will come to respect and cherish.