[MyAppleMenu] Aug 1, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 1 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Life On The Internet, Aiding And Abetting With An iPhone <http://www.pheedcontent.com/click.phdo?i=d960b973858876af84c52f0bc0b0f864>
by The Mac Observer

**** Apple, The App Store Just Isn't You <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=44c025810e921e3aaa360aeafa1523ef>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

The company's latest moves stifle innovation, and consumers will be the ones who get hurt.

**** iPhone OS 3.0.1 Already Released, Addresses SMS Flaw <http://feeds.arstechnica.com/~r/arstechnica/apple/~3/m18Xe8x18K4/iphone-os-301-already-released-addresses-sms-flaw.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

You know that SMS vulnerability that was revealed at the Black Hat conference this week? Apple has now released an update that patches the flaw in the iPhone OS. At 230MB though, this update seems a bit hefty.

**** Farewell, Shake <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=82e103f0c3611551394d9d82946a81b8>
by Gary Adcock, Macworld

Shake has been a solid partner that offered me high-end tools when nothing else in the Apple realm did—until the latest release of Final Cut Studio. While I lament Shake’s passing, Apple has finally brought into Final Cut the last few things that I used Shake for on a regular basis, so hopefully all is not lost with this long-neglected flagship tool.

**** New NetNewsWire Sync Option Isn't For Everyone <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=af13ad968450b8be4675d06a9bfbe4a2>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Why dropping MobileMe Sync for Google Reader is a fatal error.

**** FCC Questions Apple Over Google Voice <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=217dae5acc1921c22712d762225033db>
by Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service

The U.S. Federal Communications Commission has written to Apple, AT&T and Google questioning the rejection of Google Voice and related applications from the App Store.

**** Apple: Secrecy Does Not Scale <http://www.dashes.com/anil/2009/07/apple-secrecy-does-not-scale.html>
by Anil Dash

The element of secrecy that's been required to maintain Apple's mystique has incurred an increasingly costly price. Apple must transform itself and leave its history of secrecy behind, not just to continue being innovative and to protect the fundamentals of its business, but because the cost of keeping these secrets has become morally and ethically untenable.

**** Groove Is In The Heart <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/07/24/AR2009072401854.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by Cathy Alter, Washington Post

Dancing was once my raison d'être. So why had I stopped?

**** Analysts Say SIA Has To Relook Business Model To Turn Around Losses <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/446065/1/.html>
by Asha Popatial, Channel NewsAsia

**** Worst Not Over <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_411023.html>
by Sue-Ann Chia, Straits Times

Both manpower minister Gan Kim Yong and labour chief Lim Swee Say, in their comments on the latest job figures on Friday, said it was still too early to celebrate.

**** On Another Headhunt <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/8/1/focus/4428168&sec=focus>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

The Goodyear story has highlighted a fundamental weakness in Singapore — particularly in the government — as it becomes a global player: a dire paucity of local entrepreneurs.

After 44 years, this trading hub has failed to produce an entrepreneurial class that can keep up with its world ambitions.

**** 48 Hours In: Singapore <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.independent.co.uk%2Ftravel%2F48-hours-in%2F48-hours-in-singapore-1765559.html&usg=AFQjCNFcRHAnkaa193h-tW0ii-8uF84hRg>
by Sophie Lam, Independent

**** Govt Says Intervening Singapore's Judiciary Impossible <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/07/31/govt-says-intervening-singapore039s-judiciary-impossible.html?FORM=ZZNR5>
by Jakarta Post

Foreign minister Hassan Wirajuda said Friday it was impossible for the government to press the Singaporean government over the country's coroner's inquest into the death of Indonesian student, David Hartanto Wijaya.

**** Just 'Beat It'! <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Lifestyle/Story/STIStory_410768.html>
by Straits Times

It is a promotional stunt for Golden Village to mark the screening of the movie 'Moonwalker'.

**** 新加坡“模式输出”盈亏账 <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffinance.ifeng.com%2Froll%2F20090801%2F1026445.shtml&usg=AFQjCNEky3mu5EXop7t6fiBXTbgHd5IDXQ>
by 凤凰网

淡马锡2009年的巨亏让中国不再迷信新加坡国资管理的模式,但这并不代表“神话”被打破了。目前正值苏州工业园成立15周年,是时候反思一下,一直在输出“模式”的新加坡,究竟收益如何?

**** 我爱荷兰村 <http://www.zaobao.com/fk/fk090801_005.shtml>
by 联合早报

喧闹的荷兰村流光溢彩,觥筹交错,似乎是浅表和短暂的。而在荷兰村组屋里老邻里街坊之间深厚的情谊,体现了人性的美,温暖心扉,却是隽永。

**** David's Family To Present New Evidence To A Higher Court <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2009/08/01/david039s-family-present-new-evidence-a-higher-court.html>
by Jarkata Post

David's family and lawyers believe they are facing a massive wall of conspiracy in court proceedings in Singapore.