[MyAppleMenu] Apr 13, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 13 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** The Problem With Push: Can Small Developers Afford It? <http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2009/04/the-problem-with-push-can-small-developers-afford-it.ars>
by Erica Sadun, Ars Technica

It's likely that most small- and medium-sized development houses may completely opt out of being push providers. Between infrastructure and security concerns, the infrastructure it will take to properly offer this kind of service may price itself out of reach for those developers. Background processes may not be welcome to Apple and other handset manufacturers, but when looked at closely they offer a more economically sound approach for developers.

**** Deconstructing Apple's Tiny iPod Shuffle <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2009/tc20090410_507831.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_technology>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek

A teardown by researchers shows the device's components cost a mere 28% of its retail price—a fat profit margin. Biggest supplier: Samsung.

**** iPhone Changes Dynamics Of Game Software Industry <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-ct-iphone-games13-2009apr13,0,3005552.story>
by Alex Pham, Los Angeles Times

After years of building large, graphics-intensive blockbusters, developers are starting to make shorter, less expensive games for the iPhone and its phone-less sibling, the iPod Touch.

**** Apple's &quot;Billion App&quot; Countdown Clock, It's Fake <http://uneasysilence.com/archive/2009/04/14094/>
by Uneasy Silence

According to the algorithm that Apple is using for the fake counter, the billionth App would be sold sometime on the 20th at 4:57am.

**** So, Am I An &quot;Apple Fanboy&quot;? <http://devron.wordpress.com/2009/04/12/so-am-i-an-apple-fanboy/>
by Random Digital Musings...

I am not an Apple fanboy. I am a tech aficionado. There’s a stark difference.

**** Apple Closes First Quarter Without Jobs At Helm <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/apple-still-faces-high-expectations/story.aspx?guid={061D7480-CEFA-4115-8680-83EBC889D20D}&dist=msr_1>
by Rex Crum, MarketWatch

When Apple Inc. delivers its next earnings report later this month, it will mark a milestone of sorts: the company's first reporting period without Steve Jobs, its co-founder and chief executive.

**** Gmail Sidesteps The App Store <http://www.technologyreview.com/communications/22424/?a=f>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

The technology behind the new Gmail could challenge Apple's control over third-party applications.

**** Get Efficient With The Finder's Sidebar <http://www.macworld.com/article/139861/2009/04/findertricks.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

Whenever you’ve got a Finder window open, the sidebar can give you one-click access to the items you use most. Items here are arranged by category—Devices, Shared, Places, and Search For.

**** HP Adds iPhone App, Trnscoding To Home Server <http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/04/13/hp.updates.home.servers/>
by Electronista

**** Mac Security Part II: It's A Numbers Game <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/10/mac-security-part-ii-its-a-numbers-game/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Riva Richmond, New York Times

**** How Apple Put Everyone In An App State Of Mind <http://gigaom.com/2009/04/13/how-apple-put-everyone-in-an-app-state-of-mind/>
by Om Malik, GigaOm

Ask mobile app developers, and an overwhelming number are going for iPhone platform first, everything else later.

**** Apple Arbitrage <http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/11/apple-cheaper-london-technology-personal-tech-apple.html>
by Anita Raghavan, Forbes

The weak pound is turning the U.K. into a discount shopping mall for some U.S. goods.

**** 'Hyperlocal' Web Sites Deliver News Without Newspapers <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/13/technology/start-ups/13hyperlocal.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Claire Cain Miller and Brad Stone, New York Times

A number of Web start-up companies are creating so-called hyperlocal news sites that let people zoom in on what is happening closest to them, often without involving traditional journalists.

**** Parrot Asks, &quot;What'd The Fozen Turkey Want?&quot; <http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/04/parrot_says_what_did_the_froze.html>
by Roger Ebert, Chicaco Sun-Times

A joke should have the perfection of a haiku. Not one extra word. No wrong words. It should seem to have been discovered in its absolute form rather than created. The weight of the meaning should be at the end. The earlier words should prepare for the shift of the meaning. The ending must have absolute finality. It should present a world view only revealed at the last moment. Like knife-throwing, joke-telling should never be practiced except by experts.

**** 'Big Bang's' Success: It's Not Rocket Science <http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/la-ca-bigbang12-2009apr12,0,7729851.story>
by Maria Elena Fernandez, Los Angeles Times

It makes absolute sense that the folks at the Apple store Genius Bar would freak out at the sight of the cast of “ The Big Bang Theory.” Or that thousands of fans would fill a room to spend time with them at Comic-Con last summer. But when the paparazzi of Mexico City went so berserk over the five actors during a promotional visit in December that they required an armed bodyguard, the young cast knew their little sitcom was turning into a sensation.

**** Guy Walks Into A Bar Car <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/04/20/090420fa_fact_sedaris>
by David Sedaris, The New Yorker

Lost loves and lost years.

**** Newfane <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/04/20/090420po_poem_nurkse>
by D. Nurkse, The New Yorker

**** Lunch Poem For F.S. <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/04/20/090420po_poem_galassi>
by Jonathan Galassi, The New Yorker

**** More Singaporeans Using Smartphones <http://digital.asiaone.com/Digital/Features/Story/A1Story20090411-134613.html>
by Amit Roy Choudhury, Business Times

**** Only 17 Bus Services In Singapore Overcrowded? <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,198760,00.html?>
by SM Ong, New Paper

Does the PTC seriously expect us to believe that, of the over 250 bus services run by SBS Transit and SMRT, only 17 of them are overcrowded during rush hour?

What alternate universe does the PTC live in? I want to live in that universe.

**** They're Not Just Looking For Sex <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,198724,00.html?>
by Maureen Koh and Tan Kee Yun, New Paper

Do the rising number of clubs catering to women - at least 11 which have opened in under a year - necessarily mean that women are becoming bolder or wilder?

**** Before You Eat, Remember To... Look <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,198717,00.html?>
by Elysa Chen, New Paper

Hawkers reveal how they decide where it's safe to eat.

**** Support Love <http://angrydr.blogspot.com/2009/04/support-love.html>
by Angry Doc

Because if it's not going to be about love in the end, then what's the whole point?

**** Aborted Summit In Pattaya <http://beyondsg.typepad.com/beyondsg/2009/04/aborted-summit-in-pattaya.html>
by George Yeo, Beyond SG

PM was told by the Thai Government that he and the Singapore delegation should evacuate by sea, to be ferried by small boats to a nearby LST which would take us to Sattahip naval base. From there we could drive to U-Tapao. It all seemed quite unseemly to me that leaders and ministers had to leave in this way. But anyway we packed our belongings and waited for instructions since the Thais were responsible for our security. Happily we were informed around 3.30pm that the demonstrators had dispersed and we could travel by road to U-Tapao with full dignity.

**** China Plans $10 Billion Asean Investment Funding <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=azo6VdjXJ7RY&refer=home>
by Dune Lawrence, Bloomberg

**** PAP Must Take Its Head Out <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2230-pap-must-take-its-head-out>
by Singapore Democrats

Why are the ministers making themselves millionaires when they can't lead?

**** Kenneth Jeyaretnam, Obama And Eric Hobsbawm <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2009/04/kenneth-jeyaretnam-obama-and-eric-hobsbawm.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind

**** State Media's Verdict On Geylang Serai Food Poisoning Disaster: It Has <i>Nothing</i> To Do With The Government! <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7660>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

While I concur that every Singaporean has a part to play in ensuring public hygiene and food safety, it is not fair to attribute the blame squarely on us.

If we are responsible for everything, then why do we still need to pay million of dollars for a minister to be in charge of the environment?

**** Singapore GDP Probably Shrank A Fourth Quarter On Export Slump <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601102&sid=aSvpf8qAM73o&refer=uk>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singapore’s economy probably shrank for a fourth straight quarter as manufacturing and exports collapsed, adding pressure on the central bank to allow the currency to weaken to revive growth.

The worst global economic slump since World War II has pushed trade-dependent Singapore into the deepest recession in its history. Government efforts to prevent job losses by handing out cash to companies haven’t stopped manufacturers such as Creative Technology Ltd. from firing workers, and economists expect the island to loosen monetary policy this week.

**** “融入”在于“投入” <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090413_503.shtml>
by 龙永华, 联合早报

吃得了咸鱼必须抵得住渴,針无两头利。要融入环境必须全心投入,义无反顾。主动、自发性地与人交往,不能一味处在期待与被动的状态。

**** 新加坡各房地产公司 加速在西安发展步伐 <http://info.caexpo.com/zixun/jingjqj/2009-04-13/59409.html>
by 南博网

虽然面临经济危机,新加坡公司在陕西发展的脚步不但没有停止反而加快。新加坡房地产巨头嘉德置地(中国称为凯德置地)、盛邦、淡马锡属下的丰树、雅诗阁在西安的项目正如火如荼地建设。越来越多的新加坡中小企业也来到陕西寻求发展机会。

**** Blogs And Free Speech: Report Paints Sorry Picture <http://www.merinews.com/catFull.jsp?articleID=15764641>
by Merinews

China, Singapore, Tunisia and Myanmar are the countries where bloggers have been arrested for exposing corruption or abuse of human rights.

**** 申訴兒子遭新加坡警艇撞斃‧老漁夫被扣引渡到新 <http://www.sinchew.com.my/node/109879?tid=1>
by 星洲日報

士姑來一名63歲巫裔老漁夫沙蘭阿旺3週前召開發佈會,申訴兒子在新加坡水域遭新方警方追撞後傷重死亡。老漁夫如今反遭大馬警方逮捕後,交由新加坡警方處置。

**** Living Reefs Of Pulau Hantu <http://wildshores.blogspot.com/2009/04/living-reefs-of-pulau-hantu.html>
by Wild Shores Of Singapore

What a fabulous way to spend Easter holidays, sunrise on the reefs of Pulau Hantu at low tide!

**** Economics 101 In Singapore <http://thestonecypher.blogspot.com/2009/04/economics-101-in-singapore.html>
by Warren Longwell, The Stonecypher

The idea about motivating government regulators with vast sums of money is not a new or novel idea. It actually works. We know this because it has worked in Singapore for more than thirty years.

**** Simon Road Oyster Omelette: Crispy Or Sticky? <http://ieatishootipost.sg/2009/04/simon-road-oyster-omelette-crispy-or.html>
by iEat.iShoot.iPost

Traditional little coffeeshop where you still get to see the hawkers frying their stuff on the outside. With a Hokkien Mee, Oyster Omelette and a Satay stall, it would almost seem that it is a coffeeshop designed to be a supper place.

**** 没有人性的人渣? <http://ayolamimpi.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!753D1440FED21FCD!516.entry>
by 下午茶

谁不晓得工资低、成本轻就有竞争能力?谁不晓得如果能够买来一批奴隶,昧着良心去干,发财是轻而易举?

**** Old And New Citizens Do Not Get Equal Chance In Singapore <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7665>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

The reservist obligation of Singapore males is a bane to us. How can we compete with new citizens who do not have to take 14 days off each year to serve national service?

**** Ladies, Have You Forgotten Your Narrative? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/313430.asp>
by P N Baliji, Today

If it is a case of being upset at the way leadership was seized from right under their noses, constitutionally mind you, then they should be magnanimous in defeat, lick their wounds and prepare to fight another day. Whether in politics or activism, it is that kind of maturity that Singapore needs.

**** Bring Back The Top-Down Scrutiny <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/313426.asp>
by Lim Teck Kong, Today

I used to see [head of the Hawkers Department] making his rounds in the previous centre where my father’s stall was, as well as the current one (Redhill Hawker Centre), to ensure that everything was in place and that no one was breaking the law. If there was such a person (my father had once smoked while cooking), the head would march up to him and discipline him for the bad deed.

**** Singapore's Independence: What Was The Point? <http://econlog.econlib.org/archives/2009/04/singapores_inde.html>
by Bryan Caplan, EconLog

Lee may be the father of independent Singapore; but his own account of the facts suggests that Singapore's economic miracle would have begun 10-15 years earlier if the nationalist movement had never existed. I have to ask, then: What was the whole point of Singaporean independence?

**** Senile Old Man. <http://singaporecitizen.wordpress.com/2009/04/12/senile-old-man/>
by Everyday's Life In A Snapshot - For Lesser Mortals Only

Suzhou Industrial Park and success does not go together, unless you are from China. Everyone who really knows the truth must know that Singapore got their asses kicked in Suzhou, and we had to suffer in silence, while proclaiming that it was a success so as not to lose face.

**** IRAS Website &quot;Under Maintenance&quot; <http://www.techgoondu.com/2009/04/13/iras-website-under-maintenance/>
by Alfred Siew, Techgoondu

What do you do when the entire nation is rushing to file their taxes just two days before the April 15 deadline?

**** The Year Of Online News Competition? <http://singaporekopitok.blogspot.com/2009/04/year-of-online-news-competition.html>
by Singapore Kopi Tok

Now, not only is there rivalry between the offline and online media, there is also intra-online media competition developing.

**** Saturday Is Dine-Out Night <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_362996.html>
by Bryan Huang, Straits Times

Do you eat out on a Saturday evening with your friends or family? Then you are in good company, as one in two Singaporeans dines out on Saturday, according to the latest global online study released by The Nielsen Company.

**** 154 Casualties. 48 Hospitalized. 2 Deaths. 122 Rats. All The Rojak Man's Fault? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/04/154-casualties-48-hospitalized-2-deaths-122-rats-all-the-rojak-man’s-fault/>
by Khairulanwar Zaini, The Online Citizen

While the mass food poisoning may be the fault of an errant individual stall owner, the dirty state of the market reflects a worrying systemic failure on the part of the NEA and the Geylang Serai Temporary Market Management Committee.

**** Singapore Says Banks Still Lending To Property Firms <http://www.lse.co.uk/MacroEconomicNews.asp?ArticleCode=49rsto3kiftsq9c&ArticleHeadline=singapore_says_banks_still_lending_to_property_firms>
by Reuters

Singapore developers and construction firms can still access credit markets and there is no need for loan guarantees to help the industry, the government said on Monday.

**** SAF Allowed Three Officers To Be Prematurely Released From Their Bonds Since 2000 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422001/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

Deputy prime minister and defence minister Teo Chee Hean says that since 2000, the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) has allowed three officers to be released prematurely from their bonds. Speaking in Parliament on Monday, Mr Teo said the SAF is not an unreasonable organisation when it comes to the issue of officers serving out their bonds.

**** 换汇指南:抓紧兑换手中的新加坡元 <http://forex.jrj.com.cn/2009/04/1317384109119.shtml>
by 外汇理财周刊

“亚洲四小龙”之一的新加坡在此次金融危机中也未能逃脱经济下滑的厄运,其货币新加坡元更是一跌千丈。所以,随着近期国内银行对外汇汇率的改革,手头持有外汇,特别是持有新加坡元的投资者应抓紧时间去兑换人民币,以免其继续贬值而造成更多的损失。

**** MM Lee Tells New Singaporeans To Master English <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/NewsBreak/20090413161339/Article/index_html>
by Bernama

Singapore’s former prime minister Lee Kuan Yew told the republic’s new citizens to master English if they want to succeed in the city-state.

**** Chan Sek Keong Re-Appointed As Chief Justice <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422012/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** More Awareness Needed About The "Leadership Grab" In AWARE <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2669>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Concerns over the hijacking of AWARE by anti-gay conservatives is not unfounded. According to the Straits Times as well as the popular website fridae.com, some members of AWARE’s new committee as well as other outspoken members have written to the Straits Times Forum Page opposing the repeal of Section 377A of the Penal Code which criminalises sexual relations between men.

**** IRAS Says There Were Problems With E-Filing On Monday Morning <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422042/1/.html>
by Patwant Singh, Channel NewsAsia

IRAS has apologised for the inconvenience caused and is investigating the cause.

**** Parliament Prorogued, To Reconvene With President's Address On 18 May <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422050/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

The second session of the Eleventh Parliament will convene with the President's Address on 18 May at 8.30pm. Parliament is usually prorogued to enable the House to take stock of progress made and map out its legislative programme for the new session.

**** Parliament Passes New Bill To Manage Law And Order <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422051/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

Second minister for home affairs, Mr K Shanmugam, said: "The approach is to seek the optimal balance between the freedom to exercise political rights while not affecting public safety security and not affecting stability."

**** A Tale Of 2 (Kinds Of) Deaths <http://civicadvocator.net/a-tale-of-2-kinds-of-deaths/>
by Civic Advocator

**** Traffic Conditions Along CTE Improve With New Kallang-Paya Lebar Expressway <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422053/1/.html>
by Timothy Ouyang, Channel NewsAsia

Speaking in Parliament on Monday, second minister for transport Mrs Lim Hwee Hua said that has led to the 50-cent reduction in ERP charges at the gantry along the southbound CTE, before Braddell Road between 8.30am and 9am.

**** MRT Stations On Track To Have Screen Doors On All Platforms By 2012 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/422040/1/.html>
by Timothy Ouyang, Channel NewsAsia

Senior parliamentary secretary for transport Teo Ser Luck told the House on Monday that the first group of MRT stations - Jurong East, Pasir Ris, and Yishun - will have screen doors by the end of this year.

**** Singapore Says New Law Will Prevent Meeting Disruption <http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSTRE53C2MM20090413>
by Reuters

Singapore passed a law affecting freedom of assembly on Monday it said would help prevent the sort of disruption of international meetings that caused the cancellation of a summit in Thailand last weekend.

An opposition member of parliament, however, said the rules would tighten restrictions on Singaporeans' rights.