[MyAppleMenu] Apr 12, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 12 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** iPhone Apps Are Changing The World Of Software And The Way We Work And Play <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2009/apr/12/iphone-applications-music-industry>
by Luke Bainbridge, The Guardian

Since they launched last July, iPhone applications have become one of the fastest - and most popular - technological innovations ever. There are thousands of simple and free apps, including ones that are altering the face of music.

**** Software That Monitors Your Work, Wherever You Are <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/business/12ping.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Damon Darlin, New York Times

LiveOps, a rapidly growing company in Santa Clara, Calif., that operates virtual call centers — agents working from home across the country — has also found that software can perform other management tasks. How it uses that software points to the direction in which technology is taking the workplace.

**** On The Lookout, With A Digital Security Camera <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/business/12novel.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Anne Eisenberg, New York Times

A new, six-ounce security camera the size of a deck of cards uses a different approach to cover a 180-degree field of view. It employs fixed, inexpensive sensors that divvy up the surveillance job, and smart software that instantly puts their separate views together into one live streaming video.

**** If Only Literature Could Be A Cellphone-Free Zone <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/12/weekinreview/12richtel.html>
by Matt Richtel, New York Times

There’s not much fun, or tragedy, when a simple call can clear up everything.

**** CEO Of Me Inc. <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/03/AR2009040301921.html?wprss=rss_print/washpostmagazine>
by Vanessa M. Gezari, Washington Post

How to satisfy the needs of work and home? A business professor and entrepreneur searches for answers -- in the classroom.

**** The Importance Of Demolishing Lies Right Here And Now <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6720>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

We have to stay vigilant all the time against the mainstream media and I sincerely call on all netizens to join us in our quest to be the media watchdog.

**** Kenneth Jeyaretnam Can Bring Much Needed Economics Expertise To Reform Party <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2666>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

**** Christian Fundamentalists Love Big Government <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/thelegaljanitor/~3/ld_MyhuDdJM/>
by The Legal Janitor

**** From Now On, Be Wary Of AWARE <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1004.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

I am pessimistic about the prospect of reversing this. This means that gay people, and anyone with liberal views on sexuality, including abortion, will have to be watchful of what new AWARE does in the future. The moment the new leaders use the organisation to further a religious, sectarian agenda, efforts must be made to counter it.

An interesting question arises: Shouldn't the Registrar of Societies step in if it is later shown that a society is being used for a quasi-religious agenda? You can bet the government will rush in the moment that agenda is Islam-related. But it is one of the tragedies of Singapore that with the over-representation of Christians in government, they will not see any danger should it be a Christian agenda. They may think it can only improve Singapore!

**** 在新加坡的我们,要不要摈弃民族主义? <http://waterfairy1206.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!79B24F9AA7A6BF69!5167.entry>
by Weiwei

新传媒主播张海洁作演讲的时候,提到了这样一个概念:当我们这些新移民,或者来新加坡不久的人们,聚在一起臭骂房东,鄙视新加坡人的时候,当我们更进一步打算融入这个社会把新加坡当作自己家的时候,我们,是不是要摈弃民族主义?