[MyAppleMenu] Apr 8, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 8 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Refusing Royalty-Free License To Widget Patent <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10214426-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET

Apple believes it has a patent that could potentially throw a wrench into an effort to develop a Web standard for updating widgets.

**** Scrivener Brings Out The Scribbler <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/review/scrivener_brings_out_the_scribbler/>
by John martellaro, The Mac Observer

Scrivener is a writer's tool that assists with a wide range of writing tasks, not just a novel, that can benefit from organizational support.

**** Consumers Don't Care If Steve Jobs Is Apple's CEO <http://www.businessinsider.com/consumers-dont-care-if-steve-jobs-is-apples-ceo-2009-4>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider

Some 80% of consumers surveyed by ChangeWave say Jobs' retirement would have no effect on their likelihood of buying Apple products in the future.

**** Could MacHeist Prompt Apple Into An App Store For Macs? <http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/kit-eaton/technomix/could-macheist-prompt-apple-app-store-macs>
by Kit Eaton, Fast Company

Since its inception in 2006, MacHeist has been variously reviled, applauded and seen soaring success. The annual event, which mixes entertainment, charity, free software, and software bundling, has become a phenom in the Mac world. Given the success of Apple's iPhone App Store, could MacHeist prompt Apple to create an App Store for Macs too?

**** Macs Aren't Safer, Just A Smaller Target <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/macs-arent-safer-just-a-smaller-target/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Riva Richmond, New York Times

Just how relaxed (or smug) should Mac users be?

**** Series Of New iPhone Commercials Highlight More Handy Apps <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/series-of-new-iphone-commercials-highlight-more-handy-apps.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

Apple has released three new ads, each highlighting three apps that might appeal to certain demographics—the idea being that whatever you need, "there's an app for that."

**** Apple Announces First Batch Of WWDC09 Sessions <http://www.macworld.com/article/139893/2009/04/wwdc_sessions.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

**** WordsWorth 1.4 For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139895/2009/04/wordsworth.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Barylick, Macworld

WordsWorth is a puzzle gamer’s dream come true, well worth its $2 price tag on the App Store and could be truly great with a few bug fixes to round out the title.

**** CoverScout 3.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/139889/2009/04/coverscout.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

CoverScout is designed to help you find and edit album art for tracks in your iTunes library or in any folder on your hard drive.

**** Citrix Introduces App Receiver For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139887/2009/04/citrixappreceiver.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by John C. Welch, Macworld

**** DRM-Free iTunes: What It Means For You <http://www.macworld.com/article/139883/2009/04/drm_free_itunes.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** New $1.29 iTunes Tracks Provide An Opening For Competition <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/04/new-129-itunes-tracks-provide-an-opening-for-competition.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

The music sold on the iTunes Store is now 100 percent DRM-free with Apple's new tiered pricing in place. However, not every song that was sold with DRM is available on the store anymore for an iTunes Plus upgrade, and we weren't able to find any music that fell into Apple's lowest-end pricing tier. So why not go to Amazon instead?

**** Can A MacBook Replace A 12-Inch PowerBook? <http://www.macworld.com/article/139875/2009/04/a_macbook_for_a_12_powerbook_refugee.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Derik DeLong, Macworld

About a month ago, I finally had to let go of an old friend. After a couple years of propping him up, it was time to retire my 12-inch PowerBook.

**** Yahoo Messenger Brings Full-Featured IM To iPhone <http://mashable.com/2009/04/07/yahoo-messenger-iphone/>
by Jennifer Van Grove, Mashable

Yahoo Messenger for iPhone, which debuted in the app store this morning, does more than just let you chat with your buddies. The application’s feature set offers the next best thing to online IM, and it’s all packaged inside a slick and easy to use interface.

**** iTunes' New Pricing Structure Is A Band-Aid <http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/04/artists-react-t.html>
by Eliot Van Buskirk, Wired

Although new prices will be a step in the right direction for many iTunes customers, they are a superficial fix for iTunes' real threat: that most consumers and even some artists think 69 cents per track is far too dear.

**** Nambu: New Twitter Client Rocks The Mac Desktop <http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/Nambu:_New_Twitter_Client_Rocks_the_Mac_Desktop>
by Scott Gilbertson, Webmonkey

Nambu is a curiously-named but powerful new desktop client for Mac OS X that’s built for Twitter addicts. Its primary strength is that it offers an interface for Twitter not unlike Apple’s Mail client. Nambu also manages to pack in most of the features found in its competitors and offers some very cool additions of its own, including threaded conversations, support for multiple Twitter accounts and the ability to isolate tweets with links.

**** Is All Fair In Apple's iTunes $1.29 Variable Pricing? <http://blogs.computerworld.com/itunes_amazon_apple_variable_pricing_store_99_cents>
by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld

Sources at Apple tell me that Apple is getting different prices than Amazon from the recording idustry. The record companies are, and have been for awhile, favoring Amazon. In fact, Amazon is selling songs for less than the price that Apple pays for them in some cases.

**** Tap Tap Is Tops <http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2009/04/tap_tap_is_tops.html>
by Maggie SHiels, BBC News

The very addictive Tap Tap Revenge, that involves users tapping through beats or shaking their device along with the music, has made history by becoming the most downloaded of all the 15,000+ apps in the App Store.

**** Review: Galcon For IPhone <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=8048885abac57d61bd83ea03b9bc407d>
by Jeff Whitfield, Macworld

In this entertaining game, you try to conquer planets controlled by your enemy. Galcon is fast-paced and a perfectly fun way to pass five minutes.

**** Google Local Gives Small-Town Feel <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Search-Engines/Google-Local-Gives-SmallTown-Feel-836924/?kc=rss>
by Nicholas Kolakowski, eWeek

Google has refined its search to give users local results off nonspecific keywords, such as "restaurants" or "gym." Users can also input specific location or street names, without the added keywords of a city or state, to obtain local results. Google has been expanding its search features and other capabilities as it continues to compete with Microsoft and Yahoo for online market share.

**** A Desktop That Begs To Be Organized <http://solution.allthingsd.com/20090407/a-desktop-that-begs-to-be-organized/?mod=ATD_rss>
by Katherine Boehret, Wall Street Journal

**** He Who Smelts, Simply Melts <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/04/07/AR2009040700968.html?wprss=rss_artsandliving/foodanddining>
by Bonny Wolf, Washington Post

It turns out I belong to a cult. We are not organized, we don't have meetings and until a few days ago, I didn't even know we existed. Then I started calling around looking for smelts and realized I am not alone. Area fishmongers carry smelts every year for people who don't think winter's over until the tiny silver fish appear in markets.

**** Noah Webster Gives His Blessing <http://www.slate.com/id/2215628/?from=rss>
by Daniel Redman, Slate

Dictionaries recognize same-sex marriage&mdash;who knew?

**** Wine And Pizza <http://dinersjournal.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/04/07/wine-and-pizza/>
by Eric Asimov, New York Times

I guess the sad idea is that nobody actually bakes their own pizza, so delivery pizza is in fact the standard.

**** Do You Own Facebook? Or Does Facebook Own You? <http://nymag.com/news/features/55878/>
by Vanessa Grigoriadis, New York Magazine

Trust is a fragile commodity.

**** The Dark Side Of Dubai <http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/johann-hari/the-dark-side-of-dubai-1664368.html>
by Johann Hari, The Independent

Dubai was meant to be a Middle-Eastern Shangri-La, a glittering monument to Arab enterprise and western capitalism. But as hard times arrive in the city state that rose from the desert sands, an uglier story is emerging.

**** Larger Than Life In London <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/05/opinion/05gill.html?_r=1>
by A. A. Gill, New York Times

It’s invariably the little things, the unconsidered, off the cuff, in passing, unrehearsed things that snag our attention, and seem to be telling of the bigger things. In the case of Barack Obama’s first visit to London and the Group of 20 conference to save the endangered habitat of bankers and real estate salesmen, it was the handshake with the bobby that seemed to be emblematic. In a forest of waving palms, this handshake meant more.

**** Take A Walk <http://www.salon.com/env/feature/2009/04/08/walking/index.html>
by Bill Bunn, Salon

There is only one way humans are made to move. They are made to walk. There are many other ways to get around. You can canoe, for instance. Or paraglide. Or jog. But these modes of transportation are not the staple of human mobility. Walking is unavoidable, a necessity for those with two working legs.

**** A Skeptic's Guide To Passover <http://www.slate.com/id/2215127/?from=rss>
by Michael Lukas, Slate

Scientific explanations for the parting of the Red Sea, the 10 plagues, and the burning bush.

**** Mindef Clarifies Doctor's Bond <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_360948.html>
by Jermyn Chow, Straits Times

In a letter to the media on Tuesday, the defence ministry said it would have preferred to keep such exchanges private out of respect for Capt (Dr) Ooi and his family. However, it said an earlier letter by the family had raised 'several issues', and it was necessary to clarify them.

**** No Reason To Exclude Working Shareholders From Jobs Credit <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_360791.html>
by Arthur Tan, Straits Times

This seems to run counter to the objective of trying to help companies stay afloat.

**** Pay Issue Over Charity, Religious Heads: So What's New? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_360645.html>
by Narayana Narayana, Straits Times

The more pragmatic attitude of "quid pro quo" or more simply "what's in it for me?" had already then replaced any ideals of altruism.

**** Latest Fines Won't Affect Bus Companies <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_360647.html>
by Colin Lim, Straits Times

Fines amounting to merely $4,500 and $100 are pocket change to the bus companies and may send the wrong message to them.

**** Bacteria In 2 Geylang Food Poisoning Case Identified <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/420935/1/.html>
by 938 Live

In an update on the rojak food poisoning outbreak, the Health Ministry (MOH) says early investigations reveal that two cases of food poisoning have tested positive for the bacteria called Vibrio Parahaemolyticus.

MOH says the bacteria is part of the normal flora of the marine environment and is a common cause of food poisoning associated with consumption of raw or partially cooked seafood.

**** The Ming Yi Fiasco: A Sombre Lesson In A System Which Relies On &quot;Trust&quot; <http://wayangparty.com/?p=7505>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

The Ming Yi fiasco has proven to Singaporeans again beyond doubt that a system which relies on trust alone is a faulty one open to abuse. When there are no checks and balances in the system, a powerful, charistmatic or influential leader will be given a blank cheque to run the organization without having to account to anybody. And that lies the real danger. Can we expect human beings to check on themselves?

**** Politically Motivated Defamation Suits Hurt Free Speech And Do Serious Damage To The National Discourse <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2645>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

To suggest that defamation suits are a valid means of promoting good dialogue is to regard citizens as politically and socially immature brats who are unable to exercise good judgment.

**** Overpackaged Singapore <http://eicolab.com.au/2009/04/08/singaporeans-love-plastic-bags/>
by Eicolab

Singaporeans seem to love the plastic bag.

**** Devalue Singapore Dollar? It's Going To Hurt <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2009/04/devalue-singapore-dollar-its-going-to-hurt.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind

**** Should Church/Charity Leaders Be Paid Handsomely? <http://www.christelquek.com/qhq/Blog/Entries/2009/4/4_Should_church_charity_leaders_be_paid_handsomely.html>
by Christel Quek

I’m just upset that we’re increasingly misguided in our faiths. The church’s exponential growth in terms of attendance and income should never be attributed to a single person alone.

**** 经营印度罗惹摊27年 老摊主:很吃惊好难过 <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090408_504.shtml>
by 陈锦柏 陆彩霞 胡洁梅, 联合早报

老字号“芽笼士乃罗惹”摊的印度罗惹导致100多人集体食物中毒事件,老摊主昨晚终于打破沉默,接受记者访问,道出他的心声。

**** Defending The Right To Bonuses <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/04/08/defending-the-right-to-bonuses/>
by Groundnotes

After years of rewarding the smartest guys with the best credentials to drive the economy, we now realize that the smartest guys may not necessarily be the best guys to do the job. Wall Street is learning that a credential-based meritocracy is not always the best way to go. This lesson is seeping into the consciousness of Singaporeans as they read about the paradigm shifts in corporate culture over in the US. With the rationale for our high ministerial salaries so informed by market logic and US corporate culture, it is no wonder that someone has come out to defend the right to bonuses.

**** One More Victim Dies In Geylang Food Poisoning Incident <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/420957/1/.html>
by 938 Live

**** Spring Cleaning In Full Swing At Geylang Serai Market <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/420959/1/.html>
by 938 Live

938LIVE understands from stallholders that since the temporary market started functioning some three years ago, no spring cleaning had been organised.

**** Thanks Minister, I Also Do Not Want Singapore To Be A Rogue Regime! <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2009/04/thanks-minister-i-also-do-not-want.html>
by Huang Shoou Chyuan, NoFearSingapore

If we include foreign donors into the scheme, we are unable to monitor the donor back in their homeland and we do not know where the money goes to and we are never sure that the money from the recipient really went to help defray expenses only.

**** Singapore Said To Restrict Donor Payments <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g63BaFw8Q7by5jdBTPK6JmC1WUDA>
by AFP

Singapore will temporarily restrict payments for organ donations to its nationals to prevent wealthy locals from exploiting poor foreigners, a report said.