[MyAppleMenu] Sep 20, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 20 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** The Mac Switch - 2 Years Later <http://ebphotography.com/blog/2008/09/17/the-mac-switch-2-years-later/>
by eB Photography

**** New Microsoft Ad: I'm A Mac, But I'm Listening <http://www.huffingtonpost.com/raymond-leon-roker/new-microsoft-ad-im-a-mac_b_127913.html>
by Raymond Leon Roker, Huffington Post
If a commercial can say something 85% of U.S. computer users have probably felt at one point, it's that Microsoft can bring as many counterparts to John odgman's character as the Apple side can. As a die-hard Aple fan, I got the message.

**** Apple's Best iPod Ever? Touching Is Believing <http://www.bostonherald.com/business/technology/reviews/view.bg?articleid=1120126&?sr=hotnews>
by Tom Rose, Boston Herald
The design improvements are minimal, the hardware remains largely the same and many of the software advances are the work of other companies, yet Apple's new iPod touch represents a giant stride forward for portable entertainment devices.

**** New Offiical Apple Program For Teaching iPhone Dev At Uni <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/19/new-official-apple-program-for-teaching-iphone-dev-at-uni>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica
Apple has started a new, official program for university professors and instructors wishing to teach courses in iPhone development. The program is offered via Apple's Developer Connection to accredited, higher education institutions in the US for free.

**** Apple Issues Safety Alert For iPhone 3G Power Adapter <http://www.macworld.com/article/135657/2008/09/adapter.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Apple on Friday announced the Ultracompact USB Power Adapter Exchange Program. The program allows users of iPhone 3G units with the ultracompact USB power adapter to exchange it, free of charge. Apple has initiated the exchange because of a safety issue.

**** A Vignette About Vignette's Reinvention <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10046865-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Jim Kerstetter, CNET News.com

**** The Looming Crisis: Personal Syndication Overload <http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10046826-2.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Rafe Needleman, CNET News.com
Today, for kicks, I tried to draw a map of all the places I write content, all the places it is displayed, and all the intermediate services that re-post my content in places other than where I orginally write it.

**** Burn Her! <http://www.slate.com/id/2200227/?from=rss>
by Tim Harford, Slate
Why it's dangerous to be a witch in a recession.

**** Laughter In The Dark <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/books/review/Handey-t.html>
by Jack Handey, New York Times
In general, the easiest way to locate the Humor section in any bookstore is to go through the front entrance of the bookstore and to the farthest point from the entrance. That's where the Humor section will be.

**** 'American Lightning' By Howard Blum <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-howard-blum21-2008sep21,0,255387.story?track=rss>
by Richard Rayner, Los Angeles Times
How the dynamiting of the Los Angeles Times in 1910 shaped the city for the next 100 years.

**** Empire Of Ice <http://men.style.com/gq/features/landing?id=content_7468>
by Jeanne Marie Laskas, GQ
On a $500 million man-made island in the frozen Arctic Ocean, just off the coast of a vast, uninhabitable tundra known as Alaska's North Slope, a pipeline begins. In temperatures that hover around forty-five degrees below zero, in perpetual darkness, a tight-knit band of roughnecks spends twelve hours a day, seven days a week, drilling down, down into the earth and pulling up precious crude. If you want to know how badly we need oil, here is your answer.

**** Japanese On Signs At The Expense Of Tamil Irks Singapore's Indians <http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/2008/09/20/3661342.htm>
by Japan Economic Newswire Via Acquire Media NewsEdge
Singapore's use of Japanese on signboards in an apparent bid to lure more Japanese tourists has roused concern among some ethnic Indians who make up almost 10 percent of the city-state's citizens, with some feeling snubbed at the exclusion of their native language Tamil.

**** The Mechanics Of A Multi-Cultural Country <http://www.culturaldiplomacynews.org/index.php?id=29,1014,0,0,1,0>
by Shamsiah Ali, Cultural Diplomacy News
The unique aspect about this country is the fact that despite having a population composed of a myriad of races, religions and ethnicities, the people identify themselves as one entity: as Singaporeans.

**** Burmese Patriots "Undesirable," Says Singapore Government <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-937.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Can you penalise someone when the rule he is said to have broken is an unjust rule in the first place?

**** The Political Opening Up - Is It For Real? <http://catherinelim.sg/2008/09/20/the-political-opening-up&#8212;is-it-for-real/>
by Catherine Lim
All the changes being currently witnessed, far from being the result of a new mindset and vision of the government in response to the needs of the people, are no more than a necessary, and hence forced and reluctant, response to outside forces that it has no control over.

**** Hard Hit By U.S. Meltdown <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2008/9/20/columnists/insightdownsouth/2063923&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
These days being a world banking hub is beginning to look like a great idea turned sour for Singapore, particularly its investment in foreign banks, as the citizens are finding out.
The US meltdown is hitting this financial centre like a tonne of bricks at a time when it is already in the midst of an economic slowdown and super-high inflation.

**** TechX Contest Preps Non-Superpower Military Bots For Urban War <http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/robotics/4283639.html>
by Wayne Ma, Popular Mechanics
Like DAPRA's competitions in the U.S., Singapore's new robot showdown offers big bucks for smart bots, and these iRobot mods could lead the way for smaller countries to hand-build autonomous armies of their own.

**** An Oversight, Not Abetment <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/277009.asp>
by Malaysian High Commissioner To Singapore, Today
I take serious exception to the allegation by Mr Walter Chia that "a Malaysian Commission vehicle attempted to abet an immigration offence by ferrying a Malaysian overstayer from Singapore to Johor".
The fact is that a Malaysian worker who was medically unfit had been discharged on April 18 by a Singapore hospital and the hospital had sought our help to repatriate him to Malaysia to continue his treatment. The worker was found at our security post in the High Commission in a wheelchair at around 4 pm that same day.
In view of the worker's medical condition, we made an urgent decision to send him to a a hospital in Johor Bahru. It was only <at the checkpoint> that <my staff> realised that he had overstayed in Singapore by one day. This was a geniue oversight and not an attempt to "abet an immigration offence".
Since the word "abet" bad been used, let me state for the record that on Sept 11, the High Commission had received an urgent request late in the evening of that day from the Singapore Foreign Ministry.
Our assistance was sought to move a subject, linked to a very high Singapore personality, who had been injured and whose passport had been mislaid from Johor Bahru to SIngapore for medical treatment.
The point I wish to make is that when the Singapore Foreign Ministry requested for our assistance, the subject did not possess a passport. When we rendered this assistance, at no time did it ever occur to us that the Singapore Foreign Ministry was asking us "to abet an immigration offence". We did this out of the goodness of our hearts and the high friendship that we hold for the Singapore people.

**** KF Seetoh On Singaporean Street Food <http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2008/09/kf_seetoh_on_si.php>
by Sarah DiGregorio, Village Voice
Eleven years ago, KF Seetoh realized that Michelin was "bullshit, man," and started work on his own guidebook, the Makansutra.

**** AG Walter Woon Says Prosecutions In Singapore Are Not Done Arbitrarily <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/377176/1/.html>
by S. Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia