[MyAppleMenu] Sep 19, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 19 13:15:03 EDT 2008

**** Apple Expo 2008: The Highlights From Paris <http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/apple-expo-2008-round-up-467639>
by TechRadar.com
Peripherals, software and a notable absence from Apple itself.

**** A Mac Rig That'll Make Your Eyes Bleed <http://cultofmac.com/a-mac-rig-thatll-make-your-eyes-bleed/2916>
by Giles Turnbull, Cult Of Mac
Admit it: you've always wanted an office like this, haven't you? Your dual-monitor setup looks a bit pathetic now, doesn't it?

**** Why Today's College Student Has A Mac And An iPhone Instead Of A Dell And A Blackberry <http://kileydorton.com/2008/09/18/why-todays-college-student-has-a-mac-and-an-iphone-instead-of-a-pc-and-a-blackberry/>
by Kiley Dorton

**** Writing Roots: I (Heart) Steve Jobs <http://writersontherise.wordpress.com/2008/09/19/writing-roots-i-heart-steve-jobs/>
by Christina Katz, Writers On The Rise
My first Mac spared many a professor my atrocious handwriting. More importantly, it prepared me for the current internet age. And thank goodness for that.

**** Is Apple's Success The Result Of Luck Or Skill? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13506_3-10045516-17.html>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
It's easy to say that Steve Jobs knows it all, if you're an Apple zealot, and even easier to say he knows nothing when you hate Apple. But in reality, Apple's success is due to significant skill and a healthy portion of good luck.
/And to add on, without skill, one cannot take advantage of any portion of good luck./

**** Microsoft May Have Thrown Apple An iPod Nano Headache <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/18/microsoft_may_have_thrown_apple_an_ipod_nano_headache.html>
by AppleInsider
Apple is notifying some of its customers this week that it will be unable to meet quoted delivery times for its new 16GB iPod nanos, fueling rumors that the company was forced to make a last minute change to the product line, possibly at the hands of rival Microsoft.

**** Hasta La Vista, Vista! I'm Back To Mac, Jack! <http://www.crosswalk.com/blogs/johnshore/11581952/>
by John Shore, Crosswalk.com
Apple's operating system doesn't try to protect me, guide me, help me, inspire me, direct me, correct me, or question my choice of breakfast cereals. It pretty much lets me be.

**** Apple Updates Compressor, Apple Qmaster <http://www.macworld.com/article/135630/2008/09/proappsupdate.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

**** Apple Named In Lawsuit Against Singer Chris Daughtry <http://www.macworld.com/article/135620/2008/09/daughtry.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Darymple, Macworld
The lawsuit names Apple as one of the defendants because Apple distributed the song on its iTunes Store.

**** The Limits Of iPod Touch/iPhone Restrictions <http://www.macworld.com/article/135623/2008/09/ipodtouchrestrictions.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Parental controls are built-in, but those controls are about as sturdy as a damp piece of bathroom tissue.

**** Read Me A Story, Brad Pitt <http://www.slate.com/id/2200177/?from=rss>
by Nate DiMeo, Slate
When audiobook casting goes terribly wrong.

**** Democracy On The Wane <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/09/14/democracy_on_the_wane/?page=full>
by Joshua Kurlantzick, Boston Globe
In country after country, democratic reforms are in retreat. The surprising culprit: the middle class.

**** Top Three Socio-Political Blogs In Singapore And Malaysia <http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/2008/09/19/top-three-socio-political-blogs-in-singapore-and-malaysia/>
by The Wayang Party Club Of Singapore

**** AIMS Gets Feedback To Create Virtual Speaker's Corner <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/377150/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
There had been robust and strong criticism of some parts of the committee's report, said the chairman of Advisory Council on the Impact of New Media on Society (AIMS), Cheong Yip Seng.

**** Down Grading Or Wising Up? <http://simonsimple.blogsome.com/2008/09/18/down-grading-or-wising-up/>
by SimonSimple

**** Recent Arrests A Reminder That Blogging Comes With Risks <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080918-recent-arrests-a-reminder-that-blogging-comes-with-risks.html>
by John Timmer, Ars Technica
If there's a theme to any of these cases, it's that the line between real-world actions and blogging is vanishingly small.

**** Shapes And Sizes That Matters <http://allthesefaces.blogspot.com/2008/09/shapes-and-sizes-that-matters.html>
by Whenever I Think, I Think Of You
It's funny how we make of someone based on everything else but his or her heart.

**** Singapore Races For A New Image <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122175577135052797.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Steve Mollman, Wall Street Journal
City-state sees Formula One as a ticket to showing off its splashy side.

**** JBJ Seeks Ruling On Constitution <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/276834.asp>
by Ansley Ng, Today
Lawmakers have debated it at length and the government has stated its position in Parliament. But lawyer and opposition politician Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam is not letting the by-election issue rest. He wants the judiciary to give its opinion on whether it is unconstitutional to not call for a by-election in a Group Representative Constituency (GRC) should a Member of Parliament vacates his or her seat or dies.

**** Everytime You Touch, You Say Goodbye <http://www.singaporebiennale.org/blog/?p=442>
by Singapore Biennale 2008 Blog
Visitors to the Singapore Biennale do not have art etiquette and don't know how to keep their hands to themselves.

**** Facing Down A Grave Security Threat: Politics <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-936.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** A Child Is A Child <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/09/a-child-is-a-child/>
by Tan Kin Lian, The Online Citizen