[MyAppleMenu] Sep 5, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 5 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Review: BusySync 2.1.6 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135218/2008/09/busysync216.html>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld
After you get past the initial setup, BusySync 2.1.6 is usually invisible in day-to-day use, and makes calendar sharing for a family or small group as painless as it can be without the use of a dedicated calendar server.

**** Happy Birthday: iMac Is Ten (In The UK) Today <http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/index.cfm?newsid=22692>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
One month on since the tenth anniversary of the 1998 launch of the iMac, todaymarks a decade since the UK arrival of the product.

**** A Little Tip: Conversations In Mail <http://smokingapples.com/software/tips/leopard-tips-coversations-mail/>
by Milind Alvares, Smoking Apples

**** The Princess Bride Game <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=984>
by Michael Scarpelli, Inside Mac Games
The game looks great ad has great sound and music is enjoyable. However, as a game, the title doesn't really deliver.

**** DEVONthink Pro Office 1.5 <http://moxys.it-enquirer.com/main/macos/more/1549>
by Erik Vlietinck, IT.Enquirer

**** Back To School: Writing Tools, Part III <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/09/04/back-to-school-writing-tools-part-iii/>
by Brett Terpstra, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
To round out our roundup, we'll take a look at some (possibly) unexpected solutions, as well as some utilities which can aid any writer.

**** iPhone-Cannibalizing-iPod Meme Again <http://jadedconsumer.blogspot.com/2008/09/iphone-cannibalizing-ipod-meme-again.html>
by The Jaded Consumer
So far, Apple seems to be doing pretty well with this.

**** What's At Stake For Apple At Tuesday's iPod Event <http://www.macworld.com/article/135382/2008/09/ipodevent.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
Apple is coming off a summer marked by several high-profile product launches&mdash;and nearly as many exasperating missteps.

**** Rejected iPhone Dev To Apple: Pull My Finger! <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/04/rejected-iphone-dev-to-apple-pull-my-finger>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
"There seems to be a disconnect between Apple's message of allowing vulgarity in the iTunes store but not in the App Store. Also, the message of 'limited appeal' to the iPhone community doesn't seem true."

**** Adding Streaming Radio To Apple TV <http://www.macworld.com/article/135380/2008/09/addradiotoappletv.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Bring On The Browser Wars! <http://www.slate.com/id/2199356/?from=rss>
by Farhad Majoo, Slate
Why I'm overjoyed about Google Chrome.

**** Does Windows Still Matter? <http://executivesuite.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/09/04/does-windows-still-matter/?hp>
by Joe Nocera, New York Times
It seems to me that even without the browser-as-platform, Windows is already dying a death by a thousand cuts.

**** They Still Haven't Cracked The eBook <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/09/ebooks.html>
by Alison Flood, The Guardian
Sony has just released its Reader. It's slim, tan and a commuter magnet, but I want more.

**** A Lesson In Verse <http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/sep/05/schools.1419education?gusrc=rss&feed=books>
by Mark Lawson, The Guardian
Carol Ann Duffy's work on violence is ideal for classroom discussion. It's a poem, not a memo.

**** Temasek Sells Senoko Power To Japanese Consortium For S$3.6 Bln <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_lite.php?id=357435>
by Bernama
Singapore's Temasek Holdings finally sold its wholly-owned power generation company, Senoko Power Ltd, to a Japanese consortium, Lion Power Holdings Pte Ltd, for S$3.6 billion.

**** Gopalan Nair Found Guilty <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/Story/STIStory_275478.html>
by Straits Times
Former Singaporean lawyer Gopalan Nair was found guilty on Friday of abusing police officers and disorderly behaviour. The prosecution askd the court to jail Nair on the first charge of using abusive words because of the racial nature of the abusive words used, his lack of remorse and his conduct during the trial.

**** My Opinion On Single Mums - Single Mothers And Their Predicament In Singapore <http://leelilian.blogspot.com/2008/09/my-opinion-on-single-mums-single.html>
by Lee Lilian, The Itch To Write
While other expectant mothers immerse in the joy of pregnancy, a group of mothers-to-be spend sleepless nights wondering what's next for them and their unborn child.

**** Supermarket Giants Cut Rice Prices <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_275434.html>
by Jessica Lim, Straits Times
Three major supermarket chains here have lowered their prices on house-brand rice since July and experts say months of record-high antes could be fading into the past.
/The three chains &mdash; acutally, more like 2 and a half &mdash; are Cold Storage, Sheng Siong and Giant./

**** Retiring Abroad: One Ex-Singaporean's Experience <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_275254.html>
by Cheong Wing Lee, Straits Times
Retiring overseas is not a bed of roses, but only if one is not prepared to make the necessary adjustments and sacrifices to suit the environment.

**** Bloggers Go Offline To Speak Up <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,175577,00.html?>
by Ng Tze Yong and Benson Ang, New Paper

**** In Jurong GRC, More Wanted A By-Election Than Not <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-929.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Has the ruling party forgotten about the principle of choice and representation, the very underpinning of democracy?

**** Get Out Of My Elite Neighbourhood <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/09/get-out-of-my-elite-neighbourhood.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
I am dismayed that so many well-to-do, educated professionals in my country can be so blatant about their bigotry against poor people of other ethnic groups and nationalities.