[MyAppleMenu] Oct 17, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Oct 17 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Examining Microsoft's "Apple Tax" Comparison Charts <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/10/15.9.shtml>
by Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer

**** Apple Releases Migration And DVD/CD Sharing Update <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/10/17/apple.migration.update/>
by MacNN
Apple has released a Migration DVD/CD Sharing Update that improves the performance of migrations performed over FireWire, Ethernet and wireless networks.

**** Apple China Finds New Leader <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=23210>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** FireWire's MacBook Absence - Inconvenience Or Fatal Flaw? <http://www.macworld.com/article/136200/2008/10/macbook_firewire.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
FireWire's absence is certainly disappointing and will surely be felt for a while by Mac users who had invested in peripherals that use the interface, but I suspect most people will make the transition, and will ultimately find that they're not missing much by making the switch.

**** Review: Apple Keyboard And Wireless Keyboard <http://www.macworld.com/article/135996/2008/10/applekeyboards.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
When it comes to compact, wireless models, there's little competition for Apple's Wireless Keyboard. It's among the smallest and lightest models on the market, yet it doesn't sacrifice full-sie keys and it provides a mostly standard key layout.

**** Apple Vs. Psystar Case Takes A Detour <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/10/16.9.shtml>
by John Martellaro, Mac Observer
Both parties have agreed to Alternative Dispute Resolution. The outcome could result in a negotiated settlement, the terms of which could also remain secret.

**** Apple Claims "Neglect," AIms To Have Lawsuit Dismissed <http://www.iphoneatlas.com/2008/10/16/apple-claims-neglect-aims-to-have-lawsuit-dismissed/>
by iPhone Atlas

**** Early Alarms Over New Mac Malware <http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2228488/early-alarms-mac-malware>
by Shaun Nichols, vnunet.com
A new rouge security application for the Mac could be on the way, according to one industry executive.

**** Steve Says: You Don't Need FireWire <http://www.macuser.com/hardware/steve_says_you_dont_need_firew.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Pourhadi, MacUser

**** MacBook And MacBook Pro Dual Review <http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-review>
by Gizmodo
The class boundary remains, but it's blurrier than ever.

**** Traders Point Students Learn With High-Tech Tools <http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081016/LOCAL020203/810160544/1274/LOCAL06>
by Lana Christian, IndyStar.com

**** Apple's MacBook - The Case Of The New Machine <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=laptops&articleId=9117358&taxonomyId=66&intsrc=kc_feat>
by Dan Turner, Computerworld
This new consutrction method is ingenious, useful and elegant &mdash; an example of why Apple remains Apple.

**** Environmentalists Cheer On Apple For Getting Greener <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/10/environmentalis.html>
by Brian X. Chen, Wired
Greenpeace, an environmental blog, commends Apple for cutting down on the amount of polyvinyl chloride (PVC) used inits notebooks and new cinema display.

**** Apple Sells 200 Million TV Shows, But Is That A Big Deal? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10068141-93.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET News.com

**** Are You Sure You Didn't Spill Anything In Your MacBook? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=2399>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet.com
Apple has taken their fraud protection up a notch in the new MacBooks by adding tiny Liquid Submersion Indicators throughout the notebook's chassis according to AppleInsider.

**** AMEX Intros Slim Blu-Ray Burner For Macs, PCs <http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/10/16/amex.intros.blu.ray.burner/>
by Electronista

**** AirGrab Announces WiFi Radar 1.0 <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=23185>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Review: Spore <http://www.macworld.com/article/136116/2008/10/spore.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Holt, Macworld
For now, Spore is a comical, beautiful, and surprisingly fun journey that will likely satisfy casual gamers but wil disappoint fans hoping to see a Wright masterpiece.

**** Apple 2008 Environmental Update <http://www.apple.com/environment/update/>
by Steve Jobs, Apple
For the past several years, Apple has made a concerted effort to be more transparent about the steps we are taking to protect the environment and make our business more sustainable. In this environmental update, I'd like to inform you of our recent progress and introduce you to a groundbreaking system of reporting that we believe is unmatched in our industry.

**** MacBook Pro Does Not Shift GPUs Like You Shift Cars <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/10/16/macbook-pro-does-not-shift-gpus-like-you-shift-cars>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Why To Start A Startup In A Bad Economy <http://www.paulgraham.com/badeconomy.html>
by Paul Graham
It's hard to say whether advantages like lack of competition outweigh disadvantages like reluctant investors. But it doesn't matter much eitehr way. It's the people that matter. And for a given set of people working on a given technology, the time to act is always now.

**** Programming Is Hard, Let's Go Shopping! <http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/001172.html>
by Jeff Atwood, Coding Horror
Experienced developers learn what their core business functions are and write whatever software they deem necessary to perform those functions extraordinarily well.

**** Rethinking Research In The Google Era <http://www.eschoolnews.com/news/top-news/index.cfm?i=55598>
by Meris Stansbury, eSchool News
As the internet replaces library databases as students' primary research option, a new discussion is emerging in academic circles: is the vast amount of information at students' fingertips changing the way they gather and process information for the better&mdash;or for worse?

**** She Fine-Tuned The Forks Of The Richan Vulgars <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/17/books/17book.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Dinitia Smith, New York Times
It is something of a surprise nearly 50 years after Emily Post's death to be reminded that there was a real person behind the name that has become synonymous with good manners. And it is to Laura Claridge's credit that she has written the first full biography of Post.

**** The Things He Carried <http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/airport-security>
by Jeffrey Goldberg, The Atlantic
Airport security in America is a sham&mdash;"security theater" designed to make travelers feel better and catch stupid terrorists. Smart ones can get through security with fake boarding passes and all manner of prohibited items.

**** Every Man A Derrida <http://www.reason.com/news/show/129283.html>
by Tim Cavanaugh, Reason Magazine
Are the great American habits of directness, foursquare honesty, and a hearty handshake being undermined by fancy-pants French critical theory? You betcha!

**** Rights Group Criticizes Singapore Defamation Suits <http://www.gmanews.tv/story/127776/Rights-group-criticizes-Singapore-defamation-suits>
by Associated Press
An international rights group called Friday on Singapore to stop using defamation lawsuits to stifle criticism and bankrupt opposition politicians.
The critcism by Human Rights Watch came in response to the Hgh Court's decision this week to order Chee Soon Juan and his opposition Singapore Democratic Party to pay US$416,000 to prime minister Lee Hsien Loong and his father, Lee Kuan Yew, in damages stemming from a 2006 defamation case.

**** Singaporeans Will Visit Malaysia Despite Economic Hard Times <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=365273>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama
Singaporeans will continue to flock to Malaysia for shopping and holiday although the worlds economy is currently facing hard times and the city-state is experiencing a technical recession. "The numbers from Singapore remain strong this year," said Tourism Malaysia director for Singapore, Rafidah Idris.

**** Singapore Probes Misconduct In Lehman Bond Sales <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/10/17/ap5568485.html>
by Alex Kennedy, Associated Press
Singapore's central bank said Friday it is investigating allegation sof misconduct by commercial bank officials in connection with the sale of about 640 million Singapore dollars of bonds linked to bankrupt U.S. brokerage Lehman Brothers Holdings Inc.

**** Crisis Tops Parliament Agenda <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_291627.html>
by Zakir Hussain, Straits Times
As the global financial upheaval hits Singapore shores, the issue of jobs, investments and deposits in financial institutions is set to dominate Parliament when it sits on Monday.
See Also: Order Paper For The Parliament Sitting On 20 October 2008 <http://www.news.gov.sg/public/sgpc/en/media_releases/agencies/mica/press_release/P-20081017-1/AttachmentPar/0/file/Order%20Paper%2020%20Oct%2008.doc>, by Singapore Government. (Note: Link goes to Microsoft Word document.)

**** SingTel Cuts iPhone Price Plans <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_291582.html>
by Straits Times
Singapore Telecommunications, South-east Asia's largest phone company, slashed some subscription plans for Apple's iPhone by half to lure users before rivals start offering the phone, Bloomberg news reported on Friday.

**** 'Safe Haven' Image Sparks Singapore, Switzerland: Chart Of Day <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=ajhZisDBE6Vk&refer=asia>
by Lee J. Miller, Bloomberg

>From Zurich to Singapore, the "safe haven" status of wealth-management centers is being challenged by a global credit crunch, prompting on the same day a $59.2 billion bailout for UBS AG and a guarantee of deposits at banks licensed by the Monetary Authority of Singapore.

**** SMRT To Add 112 Train Trips On Weekdays <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/383493/1/.html>
by Greta Georges, Channel NewsAsia

**** LTA Launches Transport Portal And Real-Time SMS <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/383489/1/.html>
by Greta Georges, Channel NewsAsia
The Land Transport Authoity (LTA) has kicked off two new initiatives - a transport portal and a message service.
See Also:
Added Convenience For Public Transport Users - Public Transport Portal And Real-Time SMS Bus Arrival Information <http://app.lta.gov.sg/corp_press_content.asp?start=2025>, by Land Transport Authority, Singapore Government.

**** Stop Putting Promises Into Other People's Mouth
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Did ComfortDelgro promise that the taxi fuel surcharge will be dropped when "the price of fuel falls below $109", as alleged by this blogger <http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2008/10/unkept-singaporean-promise.html>?
No. What ComfortDelgro promised <http://www.cdgtaxi.com.sg/mediaviewer?mediaid=531> was this instead: "The surcharge... is a temporary measure to offset the spiralling increases in diesel costs. It will be removed when diesel prices fall back to $1.19 per litre which was the market price on 17 December 2007." (Note: Previous link goes to PDF document.)
And, as Channel NewsAsia <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/383230/1/.html> reported today, the price of diesel fuel at Shell, SPC, ExxonMobil and Caltex is $1.603 per litre, still higher than that $1.19 figure promised.
To get the facts of something so easily google-able wrong will significantly weakens whatever arguments that follow in the post.

**** A Singapore Artist's Spilled Milk <http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/10/18/arts/jessop.php>
by Sonia Kolesnikov-Jessop, International Herald Tribune

**** Expat Life In Singapore: Moonlight Picnic <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2008/10/16/living-in-singapore-mid-autumn-festival.xml>
by Rosie Milne, Telegraph
The mooncakes we took to the picnic were "Western mooncakes", as the Beloved Son put it. A friend gave them to us, and she'd got them from Raffles Hotel, no less. The main ingredient was Champagne truffle. Not Hmm, this time, but yum!

**** It's Safer To Worry <http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2008/10/17/lifefocus/2256969&sec=lifefocus>
by Sujesh Pavithran, The Star

**** Lee Hsien Loong V Singapore Democratic Party And Others And Another Suit <http://lwb.lawnet.com.sg/legal/lgl/rss/supremecourt/59056.html>
by Singapore High Court

**** Pssst, Want Singapore Citizenship? It's DIsposable. <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2008/10/16/pssst-want-singapore-citizenship-its-disposable/>
by Groundnotes
If we value government scholarships so highly, if we store so much symbolic value in something an 18 year old signs, then we must really be hopping mad over news that our table tennis China-imports Li Jiawei and Feng Tianwei may be dumping their Singapore passports to return to China right? Balls.

**** Singapore And Israel <http://nafkamina.blogspot.com/2008/10/singapore-and-israel.html>
by Nafka Mina
Compare Singapore to other 'Chinese" countries in Asia and note the difference in wealth, law and order, cleanliness, manners, etc. Certain population need taming, for want of a better term.

**** Singapore U-Turn, Guarantees All Bank Deposits <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2008/10/singapore-u-turn-bank-deposits-guaranteed.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind
The only possible complaint: Why so slow, Singapore?

**** In Singapore, An Uphill Battle For Justice ANd Basic Rights <http://www.robertamsterdam.com/2008/10/in_singapore_an_uphill_battle.htm>
by Robert Amsterdam

**** Use Of Police Resources For Welfare Purposes - Who Is Paying? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/use-of-police-resources-for-welfare-purposes-&ntilde;-who-is-paying/>
by Selene Cheng, The Online Citizen
/If the vehicles are idling and not being used for operations, why can't they be used for other purposes? Surely, it will save money in the long run (if all the money used are properly accounted for), and isn't that what we as taxpayers want?/

**** Singapore Men Put Love On Hold <http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/World/Singapore_men_put_love_on_hold_/rssarticleshow/3604744.cms>
by Reuters
"No money no honey" seems to be ringing true for Singapore's bridal agencies, which are seeing slowing business as the financial crisis and a looming recession hit love in the country.

**** More Are Dining At Home <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_291493.html>
by Jessica Lim, Tessa Wong and Lim Wei Chean, Straits Times
The belt-tightening comes amid new economic data that shows Singapore has entered a technical recession, its first in six years.

**** Now That It's Over, What About Them? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_291413.html>
by Tan Mien Wee, Straits Times
I am writing to ask if the authorities will compensate retailers in the Suntec City Mall area, for the severe disruptions leading to drastic sales shortfalls during last month's Formula One event.