[MyAppleMenu] Oct 16, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 16 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** iTunes Welcomes HD TV From More Major Networks <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/10/16/itunes-welcomes-hd-tv-from-more-major-networks>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** How To Turn Your Mac Into A Wi-Fi Access Point <http://www.informationweek.com/news/mobility/wifiwimax/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=211200614>
by Mitch Wagner, InformationWeek

**** Apple: New MacBooks, Same Old Prices <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2008/tc20081014_978766.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_computers>
by Peter Burrows, BusinessWeek
Apple sees no reason to slash prices and sacrifice margins on its laptop computers when consumers are still willing to pay top dollar.

**** What Apple Laptop Pricing Means To Windows OEMs <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/desktop_mobile/what_apple_laptop_pricing_means_to_windows_oems.html>
by Joe Wilcox, eWeek
Apple's pricing strategy is brilliant, if for no other reason than its riskiness.

**** Humor And Leadership: Insights Into The Mind Of Michael Dell <http://media.www.harbus.org/media/storage/paper343/news/2008/10/14/News/Humor.And.Leadership-3488011.shtml>
by Andrew J. Wylie, The Harbus
Perhaps like the video of coach Bobby Knight's chair throwing episode, we see evidence of fact out of context. Mr Dell offered praise for Steve Jobs for the audience's benefit: "Apple has raised the bar in industrial design. THe elegant simplicity of thoughtful design."

**** Apple - Bring Back The Lawyers <http://hardware.silicon.com/desktops/0,39024645,39315327,00.htm>
by Seb Janacek, Silicon.com
Apple is now allowing fan sites to post accurate product photos before the big Steve Jobs announcements. Where's the fun in that?

**** Apple Posts Xsan 2.1.1 Updates <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/10/15/xsan.2.1.1.updates/>
by MacNN

**** Luxpro Finally Sues Apple To Defend iPod Shuffle Clone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/10/15/luxpro_finally_sues_apple_to_defend_ipod_shuffle_clone.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Living up to a promise it made in January 2007, Taiwanese electronics maker Luxpro has at last filed a lawsut against Apple claiming that the American company was plotting a multinational scheme when it sued Luxpro over its iPod shuffle doppelganger.

**** Apple Executive Parade Not Prelude To Change <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10067134-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
The practice of sharing the stage is nothing unusual, no matter what color shirt Cook wears onstage.

**** Microsoft Posts Office 2008, 2004 Updates <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/10/15/office.2004.2008.updates/>
by MacNN

**** Listen To Tim Cook <http://daringfireball.net/2008/10/listen_to_tim_cook>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The "netbook" market is an entirely different game. Apple may well go there eventually, but it won't be for another year or two, and then when they do, it will drive the PC press nuts because Steve Jobs will announce it in such a way that makes it seem as though Apple invented the entire product category.

**** User Reactions To Apple Product Updates Are Mixed <http://cultofmac.com/user-reactions-to-apple-product-updates-are-mixed/3972>
by Lonnie Lazar, Cult Of Mac
Do Apple's customers care how much the company cares?

**** Analysts Accuse New MacBooks Of Excessive Pricing <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/10/15/macbook.prices.excessive/>
by MacNN

**** Review: Bento 2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/136062/2008/10/bento2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by William Porter, Macworld

**** TextSoap 6 Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/136075/2008/10/textsoap.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
TextSoap is a "text cleaning" utility that maintains formatting.

**** Apple Gets Apple-y, Calls iPhone "Game Changer" In New Ad <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/10/15/apple-gets-apple-y-calls-iphone-game-changer-in-new-ad>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Dark Times For Web Ads: Analysts Cut Forecasts <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10066714-93.html>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com

**** Epic Win <http://www.slate.com/id/2202262/?from=rss>
by Christopher Beam, Slate
Goodbye, schadenfreude; hello, /FAIL/.

**** Light Pollutoin: Our Vanishing Night <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2008/11/light-pollution/klinkenborg-text>
by Verlyn Klinkenborg, photography by Jim Richardson, National Geographic Magazine
In a very real sense, light pollution causes us to lose sight of our true place in the universe, to forget the scale of our being, which is best measured against the dimensions of a deep night with the Milky Way&mdash;the edge of our galaxy&mdash;arching overhead.

**** First Maid Dorm To Open On Nov 1, But No Takers So Far <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/383340/1/.html>
by Ting Kheng Siong, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore To Guarantee All Singdollar, Foreign Currency Deposits <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/383331/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Singapore government said it would guarantee all Singdollar and foreign currency deposits of individual and non-bank customers in licensed banks, finance companies and merchant banks.
The guarantee takes immediate effect and will remain in place until 31 December 2010.

**** Government Urged To Look Into Trafficking Of Filipino Women In Singapore <http://www.gmanews.tv/story/127489/Govt-urged-to-look-into-trafficking-of-Filipino-women-in-Singapore>
by Kimberly Jane T. Tan, GMANews.TV
A lawmaker has said the government should pay more attention to the increasing number of "sexually trafficked" Filipino women workers, most especially in Singapore.

**** Where Singaporeans Get News <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_291165.html>
by Straits Times
Most Singaproeans turn to at least three media sources, primarly mainstream media like newspapers and TV, for their daily news and entertainment fix.
/We have more than two sources of 'mainstream' news? News on Channel 5 (television) and news on ChannelNewsAsia.com (internet) and news on 938Live (radio) and news on Today (newspaper) should be considered one single source, not four./

**** Singapore GIC Says UBS Stake Will Be Slightly Diluted <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSSGC00236020081016>
by Kevin Lim, Reuters
The Government of Singapore Investment Corp said on Thursday its over 9 percent stake in UBS AG will be diluted by the Swiss government's move to invest 6 billion francs in the embattled lender.

**** $35M Belt-Up Help <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_291162.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
The government will had out $35 million to help mini bus operators fit seat belts in their vehicles over the next five years.

**** Same Offence, Different Gender, Different Treatment <http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.com/2008/10/same-offence-different-gender-different.html>
by Where Bears Roam Free
How is it that concealing the name of the woman offender in Case 1 protects the underaged victim, but in Case 2, a male offender, naming him does not cause detrimental effect to the victim?

**** Jurong East Swimming Complex <http://temasekpoly.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/jurong-east-swimming-complex/>
by Temasek Poly
At the entrance, even before going in the swimming complex. A row of them is already standing behind a glass panel. And looking insid ethe swimming complex so happily. So sick...

**** It's All About Populism <http://poorscholar.wordpress.com/2008/10/15/its-all-about-populism/>
by A Poor Scholar

**** Sing$ Falls To Near 1-Year Low <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Money/Story/STIStory_291142.html>
by Straits Times
The Singapore dollar has fallen to near a one-year low against the US dollar on concern that the global economy is headed for a recession, undermining growth in the island's economy, Bloomberg news reported.

**** Singapore Denies Plans For SE Asia Crisis Fund <http://www.iii.co.uk/news/?type=afxnews&articleid=6952260&subject=economic&action=article>
by Koh Gui Qing, Reuters
Singapore said it was not aware of a plan by Southeast Asian nations, backe dby Japan, China and South Korea, to set up a multibillion-dollar fund to buy toxic debt and help the region's banks hit by the financial crisis.

**** Singapore To Cut Rent For The Development Of Art Museums <http://www.artinfo.com/news/story/28989/singapore-to-cut-rent-for-the-development-of-art-museums/>
by Artinfo

**** Singaporeans And Malaysians Asia's Top Text-Message Senders <http://www.topnews.in/singaporeans-and-malaysians-asias-top-textmessage-senders-276568>
by DPA

**** Will Singapore Follow Hong Kong? <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2008/10/singapore-watching-hong-kong.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind
One can appreciate the delicate position Singapore's finance minister is in &mdash; and his prudence.

**** Discover The New English <http://www.thedailystar.net/story.php?nid=58840>
by Nury Vittachi, The Daily Star
Singaporeans go shopping with the sentence: "Everything also I want."

**** Cabbie 'Stalked' Me <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/281767.asp>
by Julia Koh, Today
Should taxi drivers be privy to customers' phone numbers? Or should the transport company's phone operators be the only point of contact between commuters and drivers?

**** Living Together In Perfect Harmony? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/281794.asp>
by Yolanda Chin, Today

**** Why Electricity Price Hike Was Needed <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_290960.html>
by Jenny Teo, Energy Market Authority, Straits Times
The increase in the tariff this quarter was necessary because of the 38 per cent spike in the forward fuel oil price from US$83 to US$115 per barrel between April and July this year.

**** NTU Won't Have Its Media Exploited <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_290954.html>
by Er Meng Hwa, Nanyang Technological University, Straits Times
Nanyang Technological University will not allow our media platforms to be exploited to provide publicity for uninvited people who enter our campus to draw attention to themselves. This is our right and responsibility as publisher.