[MyAppleMenu] Oct 2, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Oct 2 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Dominates At Inaugural British Technology Awards <http://www.thetechherald.com/article.php/200840/2180/Apple-dominates-at-inaugural-British-Technology-Awards>
by Stevie Smith, The Tech Herald

**** Apple: A Product Plateau? <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/oct2008/tc2008101_791741.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_technology>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
There are only so many world-changing products a company can create, but there's still plenty of room for Apple to extend established product lines.

**** Three Reasons Why Apple Is Unlikely To Shutter iTunes <http://blogs.ft.com/techblog/2008/10/three-reasons-why-apple-is-unlikely-to-shutter-itunes/>
by Kevin Allison, Financial Times
Apple's market power means it still has an advantage in pricing talks.

**** One Way To Turn A Mac Into A PC Just Got Better <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20081001/one-way-to-turn-a-mac-into-a-pc-just-got-better/>
by Walt Mossberg, Wall Street Journal
Fusion is now the better choice for running Windows on a Mac virtually.

**** Glenda Adams: Porting Games To The Mac Is A Tricky Business <http://themacgamer.com/2008/10/01/glenda-adams-porting-games-to-the-mac-is-a-tricky-business/>
by Alex McLarty, The Mac Gamer

**** Will Steve Jobs Shoot Himself In The Foot By Disallowing Flash On The iPhone? <http://theregoesdave.com/2008/10/01/will-steve-jobs-shoot-himself-in-the-foot-by-disallowing-flash-on-the-iphone/>
by Dave Jeyes, Theregoesdave
While a standalone Flash player for the iPhone could be useful, it doesn't solve the problem of being able to successfully navigate websites in Flash onto the iPhone. And even if Steve Jobs allows a plug-in, many web sites would still be hard to navigate on a phone.

**** Virtual Publishing Releases FlatOut 2 Game <http://www.macworld.com/article/135830/2008/10/flatout2.html?t=109>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
FlatOut2 puts you behind the wheel of a variety of different race cars as you take to courses in cities, in industrial parks, out in the country and elsewhere, competing in a no hodls barred contest for first place.

**** Mac's Quick Keys <http://www.smh.com.au/news/digital-life/how-tos/macs-quick-keys/2008/10/01/1222651093034.html>
by Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald
Software has been improving life for all sorts of people for years, among them Robert Black, a Melbourne designer who spends 10 hours or more a day working at his Macintosh.

**** LightSpeed 2.7 Adds QuickBooks Support, More <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/10/01/lightspeed.27.update/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Strikes Back Against Psystar, Asks For Counterclaim To Be Dismissed <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2674>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet.com

**** Working With Acrobat 9 Pro <http://www.macworld.com/article/135841/2008/10/acrobat9.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by James Dempsey, Macworld
Adobe has continued the PDF tradition of being the "universal file format" for many industries, not just content creation. But over the years the PDF format&mdash;and Acrobat itself&mdash;has gone through some major changes, some of which have been great and others that leave me wondering just where Acrobat is going.

**** Clips 1.1 Brings Social Media Previews, Abbreviations <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/10/01/clips-1-1-brings-social-media-previews-abbreviations>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Apple: No Evidence Of Benzene In Mac Pros <http://www.macworld.com/article/135835/2008/10/macpro_benzene.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld
Apple says it has not seen any evidence to back up a French newspaper's claim that Mac Pros are emitting toxic odors, including benzene.

**** Apple Makes Two Great iPhone Moves <http://www.macworld.com/article/135827/2008/10/apple_changes_nda.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
In the past few days, Apple has shown that it's listening to the feedback it's been receiving and is willing to change its policies accordingly. That's an extremely encouraging sign for the iPhone platform.

**** Apple Drops NDA For iPhone Developers <http://www.macworld.com/article/135826/2008/10/nda_dead.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
Apple announced Wdnesday morning via a posting on the front page of its iPhone developer site that it has decided to discontinue the non-disclosure agreement preventing developers from discussing iPhone programming.
Apple said it will issue a new agreement to developers covering released software that will not contain the NDA clauses. Software and features that Apple has not yet released, such as future versions of the iPhone Software Development Kit, will continue to be confidential until their release.

**** Review: MediaImpression 1.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/135711/2008/10/mediaimpression12.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Lee Sherman, Macworld
ArcSoft MediaImpression 2.1's do-it-all approach to media asset management is indeed impressive for such an inexpensive program. But despite a few neat tricks, Mac users wil be far better served with a combination of the Mac's built-in media browser and Apple's iLife suite for cataloging, editing, and creating multimedia presentations.

**** 'Windows Cloud' To Descend This Month, Says Ballmer <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/01/steve_ballmer_windows_cloud/>
by Kelly Fiveash, The Register
"We need a new operating system designed for the cloud and we will introduce one in about four weeks," said Steve Ballmer.

**** Blogging For Dollars <http://www.slate.com/id/2201325/?from=rss>
by Michael Agger, Slate
How do bloggers make money?

**** Can Chrome Lure Developers? <http://reddevnews.com/features/article.aspx?editorialsid=2566>
by Michael Desmond, Redmond Developer News
Google advances its JavaScript-centric web dev strategy.

**** Some Bookshops I Have Known <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2008/oct/02/favourite.bookshops>
by Alastair Harper, The Guardian
I can't help the false romance. It's through different bookshops I've frequented that I can mark out the different moments of my upbringing.

**** A Nation Of Conspiracy Theorists Can't Be Wrong <http://www.salon.com/books/review/2008/10/02/counterknowledge/index.html>
by Louis Bayard, Salon

>From miracle diets to creationism to rumors about the origins of 9/11, a new book traces our irrational love of misinformation.

**** The End Of Art <http://www.firstthings.com/article.php3?id_article=6228>
by Roger Kimball, First Things
We behave as if art were something special, something important, something spiritually refreshing; but, when we canvas the roster of distinguished artists today, what we generally find is far from spiritual, and certainly far from refreshing.

**** The Final Frontier <http://www.cosmosmagazine.com/node/2209/full>
by Stephen Hawking, Cosmos
The human race has existed as a separate species for about two million years. Civilsation began about 10,000 years ago, and the rate of development has been steadily increasing. But, if the human race is to continue for another million years, we will have to go boldly go where no one has gone before.

**** NSman Who Died Had Not Submitted Medical Certificate <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/379828/1/.html>
by Valarie Tan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Blocked TV: Am I A Bad Programme? <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2008/10/blocked-tv-am-i-bad-programme.html>
by Sam's Thoughts

**** Condolence On Demise Of Civil Graciousness Of Lee Hsien Loong <http://singaporenewsalternative.blogspot.com/2008/10/condolence-on-demise-of-civil.html>
by Law Sin Ling, Sg Review
Lee's vision of Singapore becoming a more gracious society will not be realised by one who delivers a condolence as a political and personal victory speech.

**** Passing Of Lee Kuan Yew's Thorn: JB Jeyaretnam <http://goblokmalaysia.blogspot.com/2008/10/passing-of-lee-kuan-yews-thorn-jb.html>
by Gobloking
Conscience dictates that I must honor this humble, intriguing, /brave/ man who stood like a Giant Cactus in a pristine, over-pruned artificial garden of roses.

**** A Gracious Singaporean? (JBJ Dies.) <http://organically.blogspot.com/2008/10/gracious-singaporean-jbj-dies.html>
by Lee Siew Peng, Organic-Ally

**** Diversity: What's Worked For Us <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/279113.asp>
by Ooi Giok Ling, Today
Various differences in culture and economic means have been accommodated in Singapore, through best practices in planning that we should bear in mind as we continue to see the popular get more diverse with worker in-migration.

**** Wheelchair Friendly - But Sorry, You Can't Board <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/279104.asp>
by Esther Ng, Today
The message of the little blue sticker seems obvious: We're a wheelchair-friendly bus. But, as disabled commuters hve found out the hard way, it doesn't necessarily mean they're welcome aboard.

**** Outpouring Of Love For JBJ <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_284941.html>
by Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times
Whether they knew him from afar or up close, many who went to the Mount Vernon funeral parlour yesterday to pay their last respects said they admired Mr Jeyaretnam for havig fought hard and tirelessly for his beliefs.

**** Singaporeans Pay Last Respects To Mr JB Jeyaretnam <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/379651/1/.html>
by Pearl Forss, Channel NewsAsia
Singaporeans from all walks of life attended Mr JB Jeyaretnam's wake on Wednesday. And online, several hundred people penned their thoughts on the veteran politician.

**** Full-Time NSman Who Died Was Granted 3-Day Medical Leave By SGH <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/379639/1/.html>
by Lip Kwok Wai and Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia

**** Blogtv's "Am I Gay?" Episode <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-942.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
How long do we have to wait before our media starts to ask some hard questions?

**** The Lion Of Anson <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2008/10/01/the-lion-of-anson/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming