[MyAppleMenu] Oct 1, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Oct 1 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Would Apple Really Shutter iTunes? Unlikely <http://www.cnet.com.au/mp3players/musicsoftware/0,239029154,339292381,00.htm>
by Greg Sandoval, CNET.com.au
Apple isn't going to throw that away, and the music industry isn't going to risk losing its largest distributor.

**** Curio 5.1 Task Management App Adds Project Encryption <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/09/30/curio.5.1.adds.encryption/>
by MacNN
Zengobi has announced an updated version of its note taking, mind mapping, brainstorming, and task management software.

**** Apple Shares Recover Some Of Monday's Losses <http://www.businessweek.com/ap/financialnews/D93H6M704.htm>
by BusinessWeek
See Also: Analyst: Apple's Market Beatdown Has No Effect On Its Bsienss <http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/09/analyst-apples.html>, by Brian X. Chen, Wired.

**** 'Little Guy' Claims Foul In Dispute With Apple <http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_south/victorianews/news/29915554.html>
by Don Descoteau, Victoria News
A Saanich web design school is holding its ground, following a threat by Apple to take legal action if the local firm does not change a corporate logo it has used since 2005.
/You can see the disputed corporate logo in question here <http://www.schoolvictoria.com/>. Personally &mdash; and I'm no lawyer &mdash; I think Apple has a strong case./

**** Apple's Digital Music Showdown <http://money.cnn.com/2008/09/30/technology/itunesthreat.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008093014>
by Devin Leonard, Fortune
For five years, Apple's iTunes Music Store has been the internet's most successful music store. But as music publishers have sought a higher share of its proceeds, Apple has threatened to shutter iTunes.

**** Regarding Apple's Direct Sales Of Unlocked, Contract-Free iPhones In Hong Kong <http://daringfireball.net/2008/09/unlocked_iphones_in_hong_kong>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Selling unlocked contract-free iPhones in Hong Kong is the optimal way to supply the mainland Chinese gray market.

**** The iPhone Game Review Conundrum <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9791>
by Joe Kissell, TidBITS
Why reviewing iPhone software - and casual games in particular - is problematic.

**** Adobe Begs Apple To Allow Flash On iPhone, Again <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/30/adobe-begs-apple-to-allow-flash-on-iphone-again>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
At the Flash on the Beach 08 conference in Brighton, UK, senior director of Engineering at Adobe, Paul Betlem, took another public shot at sinking Adobe's claws further into Apple's mobile OS.

**** WindowShade X Revisited <http://www.macworld.com/article/135817/2008/09/windowshadex.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Apple And Where Credit Is Due <http://www.macworld.com/article/135812/2008/09/applecredit.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
When I step back and take a look at some of the very cool things Apple has contributed to my multimedia life, I recall that the company is capable of amazing work. I'd like to recount some of that work now.

**** AOL Releases AIM For Mac 1.0 Beta; World Asks, "Why?" <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/09/30/aol-releases-aim-for-mac-1-0-beta-world-asks-why>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

**** Will The Downturn Accelerate Cloud Computing? <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/10/01/40NF-cloud-adoption_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/10/01/40NF-cloud-adoption_1.html>
by Tom Sullivan, InfoWorld

**** Hollywood Studios Sue To Stop Distribution Of DVD-Copying Software <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-realnet1-2008oct01,0,3710188.story>
by Dawn C. Chmielewski, Los Angeles Times

**** 31 Demonstrations In 1St Month Of Relaxed Rules At Speakers' Corner <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/379598/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's National Park Board said it received 31 registrations in September - of which 11 were indicated as public protests.

**** Death Of Singapore Maverick <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/f7aa79f2-8f00-11dd-946c-0000779fd18c.html>
by John Burton, Financial Times

**** Grand Old Man Of Singaorean Politics Jeyaretnam Dies <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/10/1/nation/2161065&sec=nation>
by Meera Vijayan, The Star
Former Singapore opposition leader J.B. Jeyaretnam died without fulfilling his greatest dream of returning to parliament.

**** Farewell, Great JBJ <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/10/farewell-great-jbj/>
by Melvin Tan, The Online Citizen
Mr JBJ may have had unfulfilled dreams like anyone else but, in my view, has achieved more than what he had originally set out to accomplish.

**** Reform Party: Bleak Future? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/278945.asp>
by Esther Ng and Ansley Ng, Today

**** Busiensses In Marina Bay Took A Hit... <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/278960.asp>
by Tan Hui Leng, Today
With massive road diversions and road closures in place about a week before the street race, businesses in the Marina Bay area generally suffered a decline in sales.

**** Transport Vouchers May Run Out <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_284653.html>
by Maria Almenoar, Straits Times
The 130,000 transport vouchers meant as a cushion against the new public transport fares taing effect today may not be enough to go around.

**** PM Lee, If You Are Unwilling To Write A Sincere Condolence Message, Why Bother To Write? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=760>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
I find PM Lee's condolence letter insincere and unbefitting of his stature as head of government and the ruling party.

**** The Day I Met JBJ <http://iantan.org/?p=1081>
by Ian Tan, Empty Vesel
Now you don't have to agree with the man's beliefs and ideas, you can simply be in awe of his incredible stamina and his personal belief that he was doing the right thing for his fellow men. That's what PAP serously lacks - politicians who impress people with their verve.