[MyAppleMenu] Mar 20, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 20 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Singapore Telecom To Launch Apple's iPhone In September - Report <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-23910104.htm>
by Thomson Financial
"The news, if true, is positive for SingTel. Given iPhone's (appeal to consumers), we believe iPhone would lead to higher market share for SingTel. However, the impact on SingTel's bottom line should not be very significant given Apple's hard bargaining tendency and tough competition from StarHub," said DBS Vickers in a note to clients.
/The money is not in Singapore. For SingTel to get into bed with Apple, the money is Australia, where SingTel has a wholly-owned subsidiary doing mobile phone services./

**** eMusic Chief Cries Foul On All-You-Can-Eat iTunes Plan <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20776>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple's plan to tie music sales to iPods may attract ire from anti-trust authorities, warned the head of competing music service, eMusic, last night. CEO David Pakman said: "<This is> classic Sherman Antirust Act behaviour. It's called tying, and it's where a company with a monopoly position in one market uses that monopoly position unfairly to compete in another."
/If Apple is in a monopoly position, I think eMusic does have a point. The key is whether Apple does have a monopoly position. Nevertheless, indie musicians should be concerned about Apple's possible venture./

**** How Leander Kahney Got Everything Wrong By Being An Irredeemable Jackass <http://daringfireball.net/2008/03/kahney_jackass>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Kahney's point seems to be that it's somehow surprising that Apple has succeeded despite being different than Google, and but also that Google is somehow representative of a typical Silicon Valley company. It is not. Google and Apple are both unusual companies &mdash; and in many ways, particularly the speicfic ways Kahney claims they're so very different, they're actually alike.

**** Analysts Disagree On Whether Apple Can Refuse Adobe's 'Gift' Of Flash For iPhone <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_and_wireless&articleId=9069938&taxonomyId=15&intsrc=kc_top>
by Eric Lai, Computerworld
Adobe's plan to develop Flash release for mobile device sets up possible rapprochement.

**** AirPort Update Adds Archive For Time Capsule, External Mounted Drives For AirPort Extreme <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9517>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** First iPhone Developer Acceptances Confirmed <http://www.tuaw.com/2008/03/19/first-iphone-developer-acceptances-confirmed/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog
Five iPhone limit.
/And there's your practical limitation on the number of beta testers./

**** How To Back Up Entourage With AppleScript <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9069678&source=rss_topic123>
by John C. Welch, Computerworld
Save mail data smartly and integrate with Time Machine.

**** In Addition To New Features, Safari 3.1 Tackles Security Issues <http://www.macworld.com/article/132602/2008/03/safari.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
The majority of the issues fixed in Safari 3.1 involved issues that could leave a user visiting a maliciously crafted web site vulnerable to cross-site scripting.

**** Apple Releases Time Machine And AirPort Updates 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/132605/2008/03/timecapsule.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Time Machine and AirPort Updates 1.0 includes compatibility improvements for using Time Machine with Time Capsule, as well as AirPort driver fixes, according to notes provided with the update.

**** Apple's Windows Invasion <http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/operating_systems/apples_windows_invasion.html>
by Joe Wilcox, Microsoft Watch
The Apple updater offered installation of new software, not something that had been there before. Whoa.

**** Adobe Clears Up Likelihood Of Flash For iPhone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/19/adobe_clears_up_likelihood_of_flash_for_iphone.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
"To bring the full capabilities of Flash to the iPhone web-browsing experience we do need to work with Apple beyond and above what is available through the SDK and the current license around it."

**** VC Confab: Please, No More Social Networks <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9898358-7.html>
by Stefanie Olsen, CNET News.com

**** The First, The Free, And The Good <http://stevenf.com/2008/03/the_first_the_free_and_the_good.php>
by Steven Frank
My current hypothesis is that there are at least three positions of prominence in each segment &mdash; three ways to be number one, if you will: The First One, The Free One, and The Good One.

**** Clicking, At Last, On 'Don't Print' <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/20/fashion/20WORK.html?_r=1&ex=1363752000&en=69ad978b3e81c873&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Lisa Belkin, New York Times
This week, when it comes time to press "print" on my dozens of pages of data, I froze.

**** Singapore Telecom To Launch Apple's iPhone In September - Report <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-23910104.htm>
by Thomson Financial
"The news, if true, is positive for SingTel. Given iPhone's (appeal to consumers), we believe iPhone would lead to higher market share for SingTel. However, the impact on SingTel's bottom line should not be very significant given Apple's hard bargaining tendency and tough competition from StarHub," said DBS Vickers in a note to clients.
/The money is not in Singapore. For SingTel to get into bed with Apple, the money is Australia, where SingTel has a wholly-owned subsidiary doing mobile phone services./

**** SMRT Appeals For Lighter Fine <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_218876.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Rail operator SMRT Corp is appealing against a $387,176 fine imposed upon it for a seven-hour delay that affected over 57,000 rush-hour commuters in January.
It is basing its appeal on the efforts it made to mitigate the service disruption.

**** Reporting Then And Now: The Role Of The Press In Singaore <http://journalism.sg/2008/03/20/reporting-then-and-now-the-role-of-the-press-in-singapore/>
by Ngiam Tong Dow, Journalism.sg
I believe passionately in the sacred mission of the press, which is to uphold truth, and protest the integrity of our nation in clear, simple, inspiring writing. Our role is to read the verdict of the people correctly, so that the government can continue to retain the mandate of heaven to rule.

**** If One Were Dr Choong... <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/03/20/if-one-were-dr-choong%e2%80%a6/>
by Dharmendra Yadav, theonlinecitizen

**** Singapore New Destination For Vietnamese Labor <http://www.thanhniennews.com/society/?catid=3&newsid=36893>
by Thanh Nien Daily
The number of Vietnamese workers in Singapore was still modest, said Tran Quoc Ninh, vice chairman of the Vietnam Labor Export Association, but the island-nation would surely become an important labor market in the very near future.

**** Singapore, Thailand Resume Two Key Programmes <http://www.asianewsnet.net/news.php?aid=15819>
by Ling Chang Hong, Straits Times
Old friends Singapore and Thailand swept away last year's troubles yesterday as they pledged to work more closely to enhance cooperation.

**** Singapore Companies Lose Customers At Faster Rate <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/336076/1/.html>
by Timothy Ouyang, Channel NewsAsia
Companies in Singapore are losing customers faster when compared to firms across the region, according to a recent survey which found that six out of ten consumers here changed service providers in the past year.

**** Nationalism Should Not Be Exclusive <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/243896.asp>
by Terence Chong, Today

**** Make Cab Stands Disabled-Friendly? <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_218608.html>
by April Chong, Straits Times
Secretary of the Disabled People's Association Judy Wee said it would be better to have more wheelchair-accessible drop-off points because "there is no point stopping at a side road when there is a kerb there'.

**** SingTel To Bring In 3G iPhone? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/243923.asp>
by Channel NewsAsia
The iPhone may finally see its official launch in Singapore by SingTel as early as September, according to industry sources.
When contacted, the telco would neither confirm nor deny this, but a local vendor who works closely with Apple associates in the United States told Channel NewsAsia that "SingTel has more or less sealed the deal".