[MyAppleMenu] Mar 17, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 17 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** The iPhone SDK Agreement Is A 'Giant Joke'... On Several Levels <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9895391-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com
It is likely that I would not be able to use some open-source software with the SDK due to its licensing restrictions. It is impossible that I would be able to forcefeed Apple's SDK with conflicting open-source licensing terms and thereby "infect" Apple's code.

**** Apple Introduces 802.11N Airport Express <http://www.macworld.com/article/132550/2008/03/airport.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple on Monday introduced a faster version of its AirPort Exress wireless base station. Now equipped with the 802.11n specification, Apple says the AirPort Express can deliver five times the performance and twice the range of the previous model.

**** Corel Painter X A Great Tool For Digital Art <http://www.greatfallstribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080317/LIFESTYLE/803170306>
by Katherine Leonard, Great Falls Tribune
Art has a whole new meaning with Corel Painter X. Corel is a program designed for people who are interested in digitally created art or graphic art.

**** How OS X Screwed Up Spaces <http://jonnyengland.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/how-os-x-screwed-up-spaces/>
by Jonny Goes To England
Spaces pretty much defies my logic of how multiple workspaces should work.

**** Why The MacBook Pro Makes A Decent Server <http://jasarien.com/2008/03/17/why-the-macbook-pro-makes-a-decent-server/>
by Jasarien.com

**** The iPod Touch For Work And Productivity <http://www.geekpreneur.com/the-ipod-touch-for-work-and-productivity>
by Geekpreneur
Spend a little time experimenting with apps and you'll soon find that behind the iPod's slender build is a pretty useful hand-held computer that can have a serious impact on both your productivity and your way of working.

**** My iPod Touch Is Rarely Used For Music <http://www.louisgray.com/live/2008/03/my-ipod-touch-is-rarely-used-for-music.html>
by Louis Gray
With web access and TV or film, the need to play music is fading.
/Just to chime in, I don't have music on my iPod nano either. It's all podcasts. :-)/

**** Unwanted App Launch Problem Solved, No Thanks To Apple <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9504>
by Matt Neuburg, TidBITS
Mac OS X has been around for 7 years now, and yet we're still living in this world of secret files that do secret things, with no user interface and no documentation.

**** Web Creator Rejects Net Tracking <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7299875.stm>
by Rory Cellan-Jones, BBC News
The creator of the web has said consumers need to be protected against systems which can track their activity on the internet.

**** The Undercover Parent <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/16/opinion/16coben.html?ex=1363320000&en=b22ba88ca4efcf9c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Harlan Coben, New York Times
Today's overprotective parents fight their kids' battles on the playground, berate coaches about playing time and fill otu college application s&mdash; yet when it comes to chatting with pedophiles or watching beheadings or gambling their entire life savings, then.../then/ their children deserve independence?

**** Dollars And Nonsense <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/03/16/dollars_and_nonsense/>
by Patrick McVay, Boston Globe
It was my own money, and if I wanted to look ridiculous, that was my business.

**** Confessions Of A Protestor World Consumer Rights' Day - Protest In Front Of Parliament House Part 4 <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=144#more-144>
by Chia Ti Lik, Sgpolitics.net

**** Special Lanes At Woodlands Checkpoint Ease Traffic Flow For School Buses <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/335518/1/.html>
by May Wong, Channel NewsAsia

**** Asian Firms Boost Salaries To Secure IT Talent <http://news.zdnet.co.uk/itmanagement/0,1000000308,39366071,00.htm>
by Sol E Solomon, ZDNet Asia
IT professionals in Singapore, Malaysia and Hong Kong saw salary increases of up to 40 percent last year, as companies in those countries jostled for skilled IT talent, a new survey finds. Busiensses in the region have also resorted to other retention practices to keep their staff.

**** Contradictions And More Nonspeak <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/183087.html>
by Mollymeek
I reject your demand for me to be transparent because... I refuse to be transparent.

**** Life Gets Tough For Asia's Sovereign Wealth Funds <http://asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1104&Itemid=32>
by Philip Bowring, Asia Sentinel
/Asia Sentinel/ warned three months ago that the sovereign wealth funds had become too easy a touch for US financial giants. Their investments in the likes of Citibank, Morgan Stanley, UBS, Merrill Lynch and Blackstone, intended to gain seats in the sancta sanctorum of western finance, would probably come back to haunt them. And so it transpires as prices of the whole financial sector continue to plummet.

**** LTA Eases Taxi CBD Rule, Allows Pick Up, Drop Offs On Side Roads <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_217622.html>
by Yeo Ghim Lay, Straits Times
Taxis are allowed to pick up and drop passengers on side roads in the Central Busienss District which are not served by public buses, the Land Transport Authority announced on Monday. The rule, however, remains for trunk roads served by buses.

**** Something Rotten <http://enougherasers.wordpress.com/2008/03/16/something-rotten/>
by Alien Nation
Protests are an integral part of the democratic machine. The government in Singapore likes pretending that by banning protests they are protecting the country's stability.

**** Hunt For JI Fugitive Mas Selamat Continues <http://inconceivableconcepts.blogspot.com/2008/03/hunt-for-ji-fugitive-mas-selamat.html>
by Inconceivable Concepts
I think, the hunt is just a show to placate the fears of Singaporeans.

**** A Brief Modern History Of Environmentalism In Singapore <http://biologicalconservation.blogspot.com/2008/03/brief-modern-history-of.html>
by Singapore Attitudes To Biological Conservation
Even more amazing I believe are the many many individuals ranging from professors to the common man who could appreciate the beauty and the treasure trove of wildlife that we have here in Singapore.

**** State Media's Biased Report On SDP's Rally Brings Its Credibility To New Low <http://wayangparty.wordpress.com/2008/03/17/state-medias-biased-report-on-sdps-rally-brings-its-credibility-to-new-low/>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club Of Singapore
The more the government try to deceive the public with misleading and biased articles, the greater the backlash will be from the reader.

**** Stringent Checks At Causeway Necessary <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/3/17/nation/20666863&sec=nation>
by Nelson Benjamin, The Star
Malaysia cannot interfere with the stringent inspection of commuters at the checkpoints here as this is deemed a security matter, Malaysian high commissioner Datuk N. Parameswaran said.
He said while he sympathised with the plight of thousands of commuters, especially lorry drivers, who were stuck for hours at the checkpoints, there were other modes of transport. He instead hoped that the "human side" of the problem could be addressed, such as placing portable toilets, allowing lorry drivers to change crew after certain hours and also for food to be provided for lorries stuck at the Causeway and Second Link.

**** Unmasking The Disgruntled Sheep <http://aidilomar.com/2008/03/16/unmasking-the-disgruntled-sheep/>
by Aidil Omar, Sheep City

**** Taxi-Stand Rule: 300M A Tiring Trip By Wheelchair <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_217462.html>
by Nancy Chia, Handicaps Welfare Association, Straits Times
In implementing this new rule, the LTA probabl failed to address the concerns of people in wheelchairs. This grop of people depends largely on taxis to meet their transport needs.