[MyAppleMenu] Mar 12, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Mar 12 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Escape The Museum Game Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/132483/2008/03/escape.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** iPhone SDK Downloads Top 100,000 <http://www.macworld.com/article/132485/2008/03/iphonesdk.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Review: Aperture 2.0.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/132459/2008/03/aperture2.html>
by Russ Juskalian, Macworld
Aperture 2.0.1 delivers o the promise that Apple set out on when Aperture was first released in 2005. It's easy and fun to use, an din incredibly powerful tool for the professional or serious amateur photographer.

**** Apple iPhone SDK Upends Mobile Market <http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/03/apple_iphone_sd.html?source=rss>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
Apple's software development kit for iPhone and iPod Touch sets the bar high for Nokia, Microsoft, Adobe.

**** The Search For The Killer iPhone App <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/mar2008/tc20080311_060174.htm?chan=technology_technology+index+page_top+stories>
by Olga Kharif, BusinessWeek
Many developers are hard at work building tools for Apple's popular phone, despite what some consider limits on their ability to collaborate.

**** The iPhone Impact On Open Source <http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=2107>
by Dana Blankenhorn, ZDNet.com

**** Who Knew: Steve Jobs Break Rules <http://www.news.com/8301-13953_3-9890633-80.html?tag=nefd.top>
by Jean-Louis Gassee, CNET News.com
Steve might look like he's running a business but he is, in fact, a creator, an artist, not a buisness manager &mdash; notwithstanding the terrific numbers.

**** Apple Plans Third Autralian Store <http://www.smh.com.au/news/technology/apple-plans-third-australian-store/2008/03/12/1205125970544.html>
by Asher Moses, Sydney Morning Herald
The stores, part of a an aggressive international expansion by Apple, will become part of the company's lucrative network of about 200 retail outlets worldwide.

**** Another One From The Audio Telly-O Tally-O Count Machine
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Why must the iPod nano remind me how many times I've been goofing off... er.... enjoying a nice break with its built-in games?

**** Why I Got A MacBook Air <http://amitp.blogspot.com/2008/03/why-i-got-macbook-air.html>
by Amit Patel, Amit's Thoughts
Portability is nice. Really nice. Really, really nice.

**** What Do You Mean It's The Same!? <http://www.thetrendwatch.com/2008/03/11/what-do-you-mean-its-the-same/>
by Trendwatch Daily

**** Is .Mac Worth The Money? <http://www.pcmech.com/article/is-mac-worth-the-money/>
by David Risley, PCMech
The offering is actually rather weak when put up against the competition which is easily available online through other companies.

**** Get "Back To My Mac" Without Paying For It! <http://techfromthekid.wordpress.com/2008/03/12/get-back-to-my-mac-without-paying-for-it/>
by Tech Through The Eyes Of A 13 Year Old
The idea here is that after taking a few simple steps, you can enable most of the best features of Back to My Mac.

**** Norton Places Big Bet On Mac Virtualization Vulnerabilities <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080311-norton-places-big-bet-on-mac-virtualization-vulnerabilities.html>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
Since Windows is one of the most popular virtualized OSes on Apple's computers, security giant Norton felt it was time to try a new two-punch strategy on the Mac security market with Norton AntiVirus Dual Protection.

**** Apple iPhone SDK - The Hype <http://www.kimchy.org/apple-iphone-sdk-the-hype/>
by KimchyBlog
Oh my god! Apple, I am humbled by your radical and amazing approach to IDEs.

**** Review: Apple's Time Capsule, Mind-Numbingly Easy Backup <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9891216-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1040_3-0-10>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com
It is the most seamless, easy to use backup system I've ever seen. The only complaint I have is that setup was surprisingly cumbersome.

**** Apple Partners Say iPhone 2.0 Is Ready For Business <http://www.crn.com/hardware/206903037>
by Jennifer Lawinski, ChannelWeb
Apple's latest round of iPhone enhancements are not just one small step for Apple, say VARs, they're potentially a tipping point that will enable partners to sell more Macs to businesses.
Now please let them sell the darned things.

**** Japan Investigates After iPod Nano Overheats, Sparks <http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080311/tc_afp/technologyjapanipodapple>
by AFP
An iPod nano in Japan overheated and discharged sparks, the Japanese industry ministry said Tuesday in a list of recent serious incidents involving consumer products.

**** Apple Works To Trademark 'Thinnovation' <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/03/11/thinnovation.trademark/>
by MacNN

**** Hello App Store <http://furbo.org/2008/03/07/hello-app-store/>
by Craig Hockenberry, Furbo.org
You'll make up that 30% without even trying.

**** Former Apple Executive Looks For 2009 Trial In SEC Case <http://www.macworld.com/article/132471/2008/03/heinen.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Leopard, Four Months Later <http://www.macworld.com/article/132452/2008/03/leopard4mo.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** iPhone SDK Bug Filing <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2008/03/11/iphone-sdk-bug-filing/>
by Rogue Amoeba
We want to make the iPhone platform as robust and powerful as possible.

**** iPhone SDK May Block Firefox, Java, Background Apps <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/03/11/iphone_sdk_may_block_firefox_java_background_apps.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Conditions set out in Apple's iPhone SDK are dampening hopes of porting some highly valued applications to the handheld device &mdash; including interpreted code, programs within programs, and background applications.

**** Important Updates Released For Office 2008 And 2004 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9496>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Does Linux Lack Mass-Market Appeal? <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13506_1-9890857-17.html>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
Linux will never be a mass-market product, so why push it?

**** Web Mashups Made Easy <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20400/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
Software being developed at Intel makes it easy for people with no programming experience to combine data from different web pages.

**** Google-DoubleClick May Bode Well For Microsoft-Yahoo Deal <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9891259-7.html?tag=>
by Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com
With the Google-DoubleClick merger wrapped up Tuesday, Yahoo may face even greater pressure to find itself a buyout partner, according to Wall Street analysts and investors.

**** EU Approves Google's DoubleClick Acquisition; Here Comes The Display Ad Ripples <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8207>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet.com

**** Drop It Like It's DropBox <http://gigaom.com/2008/03/11/drop-it-like-its-drop-box/>
by Om Malik, GigaOM

**** Your Waiter Tonight... Will Be The Chef <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/12/dining/12waiter.html?ex=1362974400&en=8eb8ce8cdda15a91&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Julia Moskin, New York Times
The chefs are not only cooking and plating the food, but also serving it, taking coats, recommendign wine and confirming reservations.

**** Poaching, With Particulars, Can Handle Fish Perfectly <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/11/AR2008031100727.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/foodanddining>
by Andreas Viestad, Washington Post
When was the last time anyone asked how you would like your fish cooked: medium, or medium-rare?

**** Who Says Women Aren't Funny? <http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/04/funnygirls200804?printable=true&currentPage=all>
by Alessandra Stanley, Vanity Fair
The idea that women aren't funny&mdash;and which male said /that?/&mdash;seems pretty laughable these days. TV has unleashed a new generation of comediennes, who act, perform stand-up, write, and direct&mdash;dishing out the jokes with a side of sexy.

**** New Taxi Stand Rule In CBD Irks Commuters And Cabbies <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_216105.html>
by Yeo Ghim Lay and April Chong, Straits Times
The taxi stand rule was meant to help improve road safety in the Central Business District, but it is raising the hackles of both commuters and cab-drivers, as well as residents and businesses in the area.

**** Singapore Scribbles <http://speebee.blogspot.com/2008/03/singapore-scribbles.html>
by Soham Pablo, Life And Other Weird Things
By any account, Singapore is a unique place.

**** The Great Escape Of Mas Selamat Kastari - Revisiting ISA <http://aussgworldpolitics.wordpress.com/2008/03/11/the-great-escape-of-mas-selamat-kastari-revisiting-isa/>
by Readings From A Political Duo-ble
By making the assumption that Mas Selamat Kastari is guilty and taking the government's words at face value that this is a dangerous man at large, the Singapore blogosphere is indirectly agreeing that it is perfectly acceptable to detain someone without a due process of court, and that human rights can be sacrificed for hte perceived good of social stability. To stretch this logic further, the Singapore blogosphere is comfortable with and believe that the war on terror is one that can be won even at the expense of eroding human rights.

**** Like Umno, The PAP's Hegemony On Power Can Only Be Broken By A United Opposition Campaign <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=134>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

**** Goodbye VHS? Not Yet <http://www.asianewsnet.net/stech.php?aid=15665>
by Bernard Koh, Straits Times

**** MM Lee Should Send His Own Grandchildren To Do The Killing And Dying <http://wherebearsroamfree.blogspot.com/2008/03/mm-lee-should-send-his-own.html>
by Where Bears Roam Free
For a change, how about MM Lee sending his own loved ones to die at the frontline, instead of expecting other people's loved ones to die, for the sake of fulfilling his insane desire of having cheap oil?

**** Why Will Public Transport Not Be Taken Over By Government <http://blog.alicecheong.com/?p=254>
by Alice Cheong In Wonderland
There is no good reasons for the scholar high up there to get their hands dirty.

**** Singapore Invests In Benetton <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/4761f3ac-efd9-11dc-8a17-0000779fd2ac.html>
by Adrian Michaels, Financial Times
Sovereign wealth finally arrived in Italy yesterday when the Singapore government agreed to invest about &euro;1bn (US$1.53bn) in the main investment vehicle of the Benetton family.

**** Increasing Numbers Of Singaporeans Marrying Outside Their Race <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/191688,increasing-numbers-of-singaporeans-marrying-outside-their-race.html>
by DPA
Increasing numbers of Singaporeans are marrying a bride or groom from a different race, reflecting the waning influence parents have over their offspring in the cosmopolitan city-state, news reports said on Wednesday.

by Koh Jie Kai, theonlinecitizen

**** MHA Responds To Queries On Committee Of Inquiry's Probe Into Mas Selamat's Escape <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/334278/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
According to the ministry, deputy prime minister and home affairs minister Wong Kan Seng has said that after the inquiry is completed, the public will get a full account of how Mas Selamat escaped and what has been done to tighten security to prevent a repeat of such incident.