[MyAppleMenu] Mar 8, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 8 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Even In HD, Apple TV's Picture Is A Little Fuzzy <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2004268643_ptappletv08.html>
by Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times
Apple's improvements to Apple TV are welcome, and the device is as stylish and functional as one hopes from the company, but it hasn't yet found its real purpose in a digital life.

**** Apple Bites Into Handheld Gaming <http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/ent/stories/DN-gamer_0308gl.ART.State.Edition1.4634466.html>
by Victor Godlinez, Dallas Morning News
Is Apple finally getting serious about games? Could be.

**** Who Should Be Thanked For The Return Of Mr. Jobs To Apple? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1390>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet.com
Ellen Hancock in the fall of 96 was steered over to NeXT and the rest is history.

**** Sun: We'll Put Java On The iPhone <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/03/07/sun-iphone-java_1.html>
by Paul Krill, InfoWorld
Sun Microsystems is developing a Java Virtual Machine for Apple's iPhone and plans to release the JVM some time after June, enabling Java applications to run on the popular mobile device.
/Will Apple allow this? After all, a JVM on the iPhone may mean that developers need not go through Apple to distribute iPhone applications, reducing Apple's role in the ecosystem./

**** The Beauty Of 99 Cents iPhone Apps <http://mooseyard.com/Jens/2008/03/the-beauty-of-99%C2%A2-iphone-apps/>
by Jens Alfke, Thought Palace

**** Steve Jobs Made Me Miss My Flight <http://www.michaelnygard.com/blog/2008/03/steve_jobs_made_me_miss_my_fli.html>
by Wide Awake Developers
"There's no drive. And no ports on the back. It has a couple of lines where the drive should be."

**** Can't Help Falling In Love <http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2008/03/07/cant-help-falling-in-love>
by John Siracusa, Ars Technica
In the end, it's a question that the iPhone development community will have to answer for itself.

**** Review: MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo / 2.4GHz And 2.5GHz <http://www.macworld.com/article/132407/2008/03/macbookprocore2duo.html>
by Jackie Dove, Macworld
Penryn processor delivers fleet performance.

**** iPhone SDK And Restrictions: Some Of The Details Aren't Great <http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/03/07/iphone-sdk-some-of-the-details-arent-great/>
by Michael Arrington, TechCrunch
The bottom line is - any application that wants to periodically interact with the web to do stuff, won't be able to on a continual basis.

**** ScreenFlow 1.0.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/132372/2008/03/screenflow102.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
At $99, it's not inexpensive, but if you do a lot with screen captures, it's well worth the investment.

**** Greg Laswell: Sonic Soul <http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/laswell/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Dustin Driver, Apple
"When it comes to writing and recording tracks, GarageBand is the easiest thing you could possibly use."

**** Code Signing And You <http://www.rogueamoeba.com/utm/2008/03/07/code-signing-and-you/>
by Rogue Amoeba
It could very well be a wonderful environment for the average Joe whose every need is met by Cupertino-approved wares, but it's certainly not the kind of environment I want on /my/ desktop.

**** The Physics Of Control <http://rc3.org/2008/03/07/the-physics-of-control/>
by Rafe Colburn, rc3.org
I think it's a mistake to assume that the business model for iPhone developers will be the same two years from now as it will be in June when iPhone 2.0 launches, and I think it's a mistake to assume that the API restrictions imposed on developers then will be the same as they are now, as well.

**** Analysts: iPhone Announcements Answer Corporate Complaints <http://www.macworld.com/article/132434/2008/03/analysts_iphone.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** First Cheap 'iClone' Phone Hits Stores Here <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_214642.html?from=myapplemenu>
by Alfred Siew, Straits Times
The first copycats of Apple's handheld gizmo, the iPhone, have hit the shelves here, sporting many of the key features found on the much-yped Apple original - but at a fraction of the cost.

**** Software That Makes Software Better <http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10789417>
by The Economist
Programmers are using a variety of software tools to help them produce better code and keep bugs at bay.

**** The Battle For Wikipedia's Soul <http://www.economist.com/printedition/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10789354>
by The Economist
The popular online encyclopedia, written by volunteer contributors, has unlimited space. So does it matter if it includes trivia?

**** 10 Broken Technology Ideas - And How To Fix Them <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9064780&intsrc=hm_ts_head>
by John Brandon, Computerworld

**** Facts From Fiction <http://www.economist.com/books/displaystory.cfm?story_id=10797614>
by The Economist
Recent scientific progress means that ever more imaginative scenarios have begun to look feasible.

**** Just Pussyfooting Around For Now <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2008/3/8/columnists/insightdownsouth/20568652&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Stringent restrictions have placed local filmmakers in a straitjacket when competing in the world.

**** MM Lee, Mas Selamat And GE2008 <http://seefei.wordpress.com/2008/03/08/427/>
by Burning Pipit
I am sick that a mistake of this proportion only warrant a lame "We are sorry" from DPM Wong. We need more leaders like LKY.

**** Before A Cop Opens Fire... <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/241823.asp>
by Teo Xuanwei, Today
Several former cops /Today/ spoke to believed, given the facts disclosed so far, that the officer's decision to open fire was a legitimate judgment call.