[MyAppleMenu] Jun 27, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 27 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Plans A Core For Beijing <http://www.shanghaidaily.com/sp/article/2008/200806/20080627/article_364801.htm>
by Zhu Shenshen, Shanghai Daily
Apple Inc will open a retail store in Beijing this summer, its first shop on the Chinese mainland, to attract fans of iPod, Mac computers and perhaps iPhones.

**** Rogers Says Canadian iPhone 3G Plans To Start At $60 For 150 Mins <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/27/rogers_says_canadian_iphone_3g_plans_to_start_at_60_for_150_mins.html>
by AppleInsider
All price plans require a three-year contract and include unlimited weekend and evening minutes, unlimited Visual Voicemail, and unlimited incoming text messages.

**** Thinking Like A Cocoa Programmer <http://theocacao.com/document.page/580>
by Scott Stevenson, Theocacao
Being a great Mac or iPhone programmer means more than just knowing Objective-C and the Cocoa, it means /thinking/ in a different way about design and writing software.

**** TimeMachineEditor 1.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133938/2008/06/timemachineeditor13.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
If you've ever wanted to change Time Machine's schedule&mdash;for example, because you don't /need/ to back up so often&mdash;Time Software's TimeMachineEditor 1.3.1 lets you do just that.

**** China Mobile Says iPhone Talks Scale Biggest Hurdle <http://uk.reuters.com/article/rbssTechMediaTelecomNews/idUKSHA22939320080627>
by Vinicy Chan and Sophie Taylor, Reuters
Talks to bring Apple's iPhone to mainland China have cleared their biggest hurdle and are now focusing on practical issues, the country's top mobile operator China Mobile said on Friday. But there is no timetable for when China Mobile would bring the iPhone to mainland China, a spokeswoman said.

**** One Difference Between Bill Gates And Steve Jobs <http://jurgen.ca/2008/06/27/one-difference-between-bill-gates-and-steve-jobs/>
by Jurgen.ca
The difference here between Bill and Steve Jobs in this instance is that if Steve had to come to the point of writing an email like that, people would be losing their jobs.

**** Top Ten Things They Don't Tell You About Switching <http://www.airtightinteractive.com/news/?p=115>
by Airtight News
Open the lid on my MacBook and the screen lights up and you are ready to go in 5 seconds every time. Open the screen on my Vista Thinkpad and it's a crap shoot whether it turns on, stays asleep or requires a reboot.

**** Apple To Offer iTunes Remote Control App For iPhone And iPod Touch <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/26/apple-to-offer-itunes-remote-control-app-for-iphone-and-ipod-touch/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com
Apple reveals that they will be offering a free app on the App Store that allows you to remotely control iTunes in your home from your iPhone or iPod Touch.

**** Apple Accepting iPhone Apps Into App Store <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/06/26/apple-accepting-iphone-apps-into-app-store/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com

**** Pro Applications Update 2008-02 Released <http://www.macuser.com/updates/final_cut_server_update_11.php?lsrc=murss>
by David Dahlquist, MacUser
The Update addresses installation issues, compatibility updates, and "general performance issues and improves overall stability". Woot!

**** Open Questions For The App Store <http://blogs.oreilly.com/iphone/2008/06/open-questions-for-the-app-sto.html>
by Paul Kafasis, O'Reilly Digital Media Blog
Apple is controlling the means through which software is obtained on the iPhone. This will be a transition for most developers who are used to selling their own software directly to their customers. As such, there will be some differences in how things work, and there are still many open questions.

**** Matt Neuberg's Review Of OmniFocus <http://blog.omnigroup.com/2008/06/25/matt-neubergs-review-of-omnifocus/>
by Ken Case, The Omni Mouth
Here's my summary of Matt's issues presented in his screencasts along with my response to each issue.

**** Survey: 8 In 10 Businesses Now Using Macs <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9103958&source=rss_topic123>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
Enterprises love the Mac's reliability, rely on virtualization, repots Yankee Group.

**** A Better Finder Rename Updated <http://www.macworld.com/article/134169/2008/06/rename.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** ICANN Adopts New Web Site Naming Rules <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9978448-7.html>
by Marguerite Reardon, CNET News.com
At its meeting in Paris, ICANN, a not-for-profit organizatio that oversees the naming scheme for web sites, voted to accept a proposal that will allow companies to purchase new top-level domain names ending in whatever they like.

**** Yanks Thump Sox <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/19/AR2008061902920.html>
by Gene Weingarten, Washington Post
One frequent newsroom complaint is that they are cutting back drastically in the use of copyeditors. It's true, but I for one am not complaining. I say good riddance.
(Paragraph Two: Four errors. "They" have no antecedent; should read "publishers." "Copy editors" is two words. The phrase "I, for one," needs two added commas.)

**** Whose Future Is "Shining", Really? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/whose-future-is-%E2%80%9Cshining%E2%80%9D-really/>
by Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen
It seems that this "golden era" which MM Lee declared we are in is only for a select group - and we also wonder whose future it is that is 'really shining'.

**** The Logic Of Heritage Conservation In Singapore <http://www.toomanythoughts.org/blog/2008/06/logic-of-heritage-conservation-in.html>
by Tym Blogs Too
Oh, I totally agree, Mr Minister. Very soft sell on this one.

**** The Big Taxi Surcharge Muddle <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_252210.html>
by My Paper
A confusion over what constitutes the 'City' area means that some people could end up paying $3 more than they should.

**** More Local Film-Makers Tackle Sex And Nudity <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_252008.html>
by Boon Chan, Straits Times
Sex was a major theme in more short films and at least two features in the past two years.

**** For Voters, Politicians, Lift Ban On Political Films <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_252099.html>
by Choo Zheng Xi, Straits Times
This law is ineffective against films posted on sites such as YouTube and Gogle. Unenforceable laws diminish the respectability of the legal framework, and should not be on the books.

**** The New 7Th Storey Hotel Has To Go! <http://hopherehopthere.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-7th-storey-hotel-has-to-go.html>
by Hop Around With Me
The deepest impression I have about this place is the old lift that they have.

**** CASE Finds Many Cooked Food Dishes Being Sold For S$2.50 And Below <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/356748/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
The Consumers Association of Singapore (CASE) did a survey last month and it found that 240 of 395 food items surveyed could be bought at S$2.50 and below.

**** No Deal Over Air Space Between Malaysia And Singapore <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/6/27/parliament/21672483&sec=parliament>
by The Star
There's no military agreement between Malaysia and SIngapore that authorises the use of the country's airspace by the republic's fighter jets. Deputy defence minister Datuk Wira Abu Seman Yusop said that any intrusion detected would see Malaysia sending a protest note to the republic.

**** A Paean For Intellectuals <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/a-paean-for-intellectuals/>
by The Online Citizen
The only way to achieve this is to roll back the paternalistic controls that may have served Singapore well in the first few decades but are now clearly hindering its progression. Otherwise this paean is liable to become a dirge for a society that could not see beyond its fanatical focus on economic returns.

**** Tak Boleh Tahan - I Have Stand So Much! I Can Stand No More! <http://chiatilik.wordpress.com/2008/06/27/tak-boleh-tahan-i-have-stands-so-much-i-can-stands-no-more/>
by Chia Ti Lik
The issues of high cost of living caused by the bloody ruling party are that which affects all Singaporeans - someone must stand up to the PAP for this rubbish that they have created.

**** Minister Mentor: Which Ever Way But Lose? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2008/06/minister-mentor-which-ever-way-but-lose.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish
The arrogance that Singapore without PAP will sink has to stop. It is suffocating.

**** Government's Graduate Equation Needs Balancing <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/06/govts-graduate-equation-needs-balancing.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
A fundamental shift in mindsets with respect to university education is needed. Our knowledge economy needs many more graduates, and it will be better to fill the skilled positions with Sngaporeans rather than importing more foreign talent.

**** Good On Temasek, Shame On The Government <http://utwt.blogspot.com/2008/06/good-on-temasek-shame-on-government.html>
by Under The Willow Tree

**** Keeping It Fresh Water Will Flow From Marina Barrage To Upper Peirce Reservoir - And Vice Versa <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/261878.asp>
by Lin Yanqin, Today
To make the Marina Reservoir created by the Marina Barrage more than just a stagnant body of water, underground drains are gong to be built so that water can circulate throughout Singapore's water channels, keeping the lake fresh.

**** The Best Of Systems Are Not Immune To Human Failures <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/261837.asp>
by Toh Yong Chuan, Ministry Of Home Affairs, Today
It is misconceived to generalise that these human failures are reflective of systemic failure when the findings of the investigation do not support such a conclusion.

**** Averages Don't Tell Entire Story <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/261848.asp>
by Koh Wei Kiang, Today