[MyAppleMenu] Jun 26, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Jun 26 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Why Do Apple Laptop Upgrades Cost 200% More Than Dell's? <http://crave.cnet.co.uk/laptops/0,39029450,49297849,00.htm>
by Rory Reid, Crave
Apple is generally more expensive than Dell for components that are, in most cases, identical to those used in Dell machines.

**** Apple's iPhone Retains Allure Among Early Buyers <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=av46FEiGPidQ&refer=home>
by Connie Guglielmo, Bloomberg
Early iPhone users, some of whom paid as much as $599 for the web-surfing device, said they will be among the first to buy.

**** MenuMeters 1.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133920/2008/06/menumeters13.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
Curious what's going on with your system's CPU, disk drives, network activity, or memory usage? While there are many apps that can track these things for you, my personal favorite is Raging Menace's MenuMeters.

**** When Installing Software Is Too Simple <http://www.macworld.com/article/134067/2008/06/firefox3_install.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
Installing software on the Mac is generally very simple; developers just need to remember that not everyone using a Mac has been doing so for years. A little bit of text, in addition to the lovely graphics, can go a long way to preventing needless tech support inquiries.

**** Coming Soon: A Laptop In Your Pocket <http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21799>
by Sharon Machlis, Computerworld
Your laptop is likely to soon go the way of 5.25-in. floppy disks, made obsolte by smaller, more useful technology: the smart phone.

**** Could Smart-Phone War Boost Sluggish Cell Market? <http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/smart-phone-war-cure-summers-cell-phone/story.aspx?guid={DFCBF70F-ED6A-4A54-BDBF-BA225C27F1AF}&dist=msr_2>
by Therese Poletti, MarketWatch
The wireless-phone business has become starkly divided into haves (Apple, Research In Motion) and have-nots (everyone else).

**** Hello, I'm A Mac. <http://www.maleszyk.com/2008/06/25/hello-im-a-mac/>
by Bryan Maleszyk
What followed was a series of communication breakdowns, buck-passing, and ineptitude of a magnitude far greater than any I've any witnessed with any product company.

**** Elephants Rejoice: The Mouse Is Dead <http://www.macuser.com/speculation/elephants_rejoice_the_mouse_is.php?lsrc=murss>
by Dan Pourhadi, MacUser
A future interface optimized for something else will obviously work best with something else. That's where Elgan's claim shines&mdash;how can we dispute it when any opposing detail can be shot down as temporary and variable?

**** The Mouse Is Dead <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/features/article.php/3755221/The+Mouse+Is+Dead.htm>
by Mike Elgan, Datamation
Available on MacBook Air and MacBook Pro laptops, this pointing device represents a body blow to the appeal of using a mouse with an Apple mobile computer. The new trackpad is superior because in addition to pointing and clicking, you get gestures, which adds a whole new layer of control.
/Apple should really start selling a keyboard with a multi-touch track pad./

**** Shelf Life <http://www.smh.com.au/news/articles/shelf-life/2008/06/25/1214073260936.html>
by Garry Barker, Sydney Morning Herald
Apple is building a community and, as always, thinking about what is, and can be, different.

**** Apple Memo Coaches Employees On iPhone 3G Launch Questions <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/25/apple_memo_coaches_employees_on_iphone_3g_launch_questions.html>
by Kasper Jade, AppleInsider
Apple is distributing to its retail and sales personnel an internal iPhone 3G Frequently Asked Document document which implies that first-day sales and activation procedures are still being ironed out. It does, howeve,r provide some information on bulk iPhone 3G sales for buisnesses.

**** 'Wall-E' Draws Design Inspiration From Apple <http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2008/06/wall-e-draws-de.html>
by Dawn C. Chmielewski, Los Angeles Times
In "Wall-E," Pixar Animatio Studios indulges in its own bit of homage to its one-time corporate cousin, Apple.

**** Starbucks Dumping CDs, iTunes Gift Cards <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/6/starbucks_sbux_dumping_cds_itunes_gift_cards_aapl_>
by Peter Kafka, Silicon Alley Insider
Starbucks, which has been scaling back its once-grand ambitions to turn itself into an entertainment hub, is about to shrink its plans yet again. We hear that by September, the chain will have dumped all of its in-store music retail offerings.

**** Meet The iPod Doctor: He Makes House Calls <http://money.cnn.com/2008/06/24/technology/ipod_repairman.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2008062413>
by Devin Leonard, Fortune
Busted your iPod? Demetrios Leontaris makes his living fixing the popular digital players - and bringing relief to anxious owners.

**** Acrobat 9 Is Out... BOHICA For You Dirty Hippy Mac Users <http://www.bynkii.com/archives/2008/06/acrobat_9_is_outbohica_for_you.html>
by John C. Welch, Bynkii.com
I know, I know, I should stop being surprised that every releae of Acrobat 9 for the Mac sucks a little bit more. But I am, at least somewhat. Every time.

**** The Hidden Financial Impact Of Apple's iPhone <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/25/the_hidden_financial_impact_of_apples_iphone.html>
by Andy M. Zaky, Bullish Cross
Apple's war-chest holds nearly $1,170 billion in currently deferred revenue and $763 million in non-currently deferred revenue from sales of the iPhone and Aple TV as of the close of its fiscal second quarter.

**** Speedy Mac Helps You Open Things Quicker <http://www.macworld.com/article/134159/2008/06/speedymac.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Mariner Ships MacGourmet Deluxe <http://www.macworld.com/article/134153/2008/06/macgourmet.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Billed as "iTunes for recipes," it lets you create and edit recipes, make wine and cooking notes, browse your collection and build category lists like "appetizers."

**** Apple Drops In Greenpeace Rankings <http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/25/apple.falls.in.greenpeace/>
by Electronista
The drop is attributed to stricter overall criteria, under which companies are required to support curts to greenhouse gaes dictated by treaties such as Kyoto, and enforce them within their operations.

**** Do You Need To Be A Programmer To Run A Software Company? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=1459>
by Mary Jo Foley, ZDNet.com

**** Microsoft And Salesforce Agree: You Can't Separate Software From Services <http://www.webware.com/8301-1_109-9977458-2.html>
by Rafe Needleman, Webware

**** Why Writers Can't Go It Alone <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/06/why_writers_cant_go_it_alone.html>
by David Barnett, The Guardian
We love independent filmmakers and musicians, and celebrate their maverick spirit, so why don't we want independent writers?

**** Albanian Custom Fades: Woman As Family Man <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/25/world/europe/25virgins.html?pagewanted=1&ei=5087&em&en=cfff294accb08148&ex=1214539200>
by Dan Bilefsky, New York Times
Pashe Keqi recalled the day nearly 60 years ago when she decided to become a man. She chopped off her long black curls, traded in her dress for her father's baggy trousers, armed herself with a hunting rifle and vowed to forsake marriage, children and sex.

**** Policymakers Changing The Way They Deliver Messages, Says Minister Teo <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/356591/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
Defence minister Teo Chee Hean said policymakers are changing the way they deliver their messags - instead of the usual carrot-and-stick approach, they are favouring a softer method to help shape public attitudes.

**** Activists Charged For Protest <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/activists-charged-for-protest/>
by The Online Citizen

**** Manhattan Dirtier Than Singapore <http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/archives/2008/06/manhattan-dirtier-than-singapore/>
by James Joyner, Outside The Beltway
I think there are cultural differences. Americans seem much more willing than people in most of the rest of the developed world to accept visual blight. Dilapidated structures, abandoned buildings, garish billboards and neon signage, overhead utility cables, and the like are quite normal even in close proximity to affluent areas.

**** Singapore Opposition Leader On Trial For Illegal Public Speaking <http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/215082,singapore-opposition-leader-on-trial-for-illegal-public-speaking.html>
by DPA
Singapore's most vocal opposition leader and a supporter will go on trial again July 14 for speaking in public without a permit, the third time the pair face a judge since the run-up to the 2006 general elections.

**** Fremont Blogger In Legal Limbo Till Case Next Month <http://www.insidebayarea.com/argus/localnews/ci_9693430>
by The Argus
With print journalists wary of making wavs in a nation that denies free speech, Nair's arrest is the latest example of a government that has turned to targeting web reporters, said Margaret John, an Amnesty International coordinator.

**** New 7Th Storey Hotel To Make Way For Downtown Line Development <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/356533/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
One of Singapore's oldest hotels - New 7th Storey Hotel at Rochor Road - will be demolished to make way for the new Bugis MRT station for the Downtown Line.
The owners - who said they only heard about the news from the medai - are upset over the decision. They said they have spent some S$100,000 in renovations this year.

**** Democracy In Singapore <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121443744095705301.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Wall Street Journal
Lee Kuan Yew's Singapore can rightly be proud of many achievements, but full democracy is not one of them. The city-state he founded in 1965 and led as prime minister until 1990 is economically prosperous and its citizens enjoy a range of freedoms. Political dissent is not among them.
Which makes a recent David vs. Goliath exchange between one of the country's few opposition politicians and Mr. Lee worth noting. The dialogue took place in a courtroom and is therefore privileged &mdash; which means we can report on it without risking a lawsuit, which Mr Lee often files against critics.
Mr Chee is no orator, and on one level the dissident was no match for the eloquent Mr Lee. But when the subject turned to the moral underpinnings of democracy &mdash; freedom of speech, assembly and association &mdash; the debate went game, set and match to Mr. Chee.

**** Stop Getting Bored
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
Do you hate taking public transport because the commute time &mdash; including all the waiting &mdash; can be long? Here's my way of entertaining oneself.
First, buy an iPod. No, I didn't try out all the other MP3 players on the market, but from what I've read, the iPod and iTunes combination offers the best podcast listening experience. (Automatic bookmarking and syncing, smart playlists, and one-click subscription are my favorite features.)
Secondly, subscribe to some podcasts. You can find many inside iTunes Store. They are free, and you don't need an iTunes account to subscribe.
Here are some podcasts that I enjoy :-
1. The Leonard Lopate Show <http://www.wnyc.org/shows/lopate/>, at WNYC. "Best conversations with writers, actors, ex-presidents, dancers, scientists, comedians, historians, grammarians, curators, filmmakers, and do-it-yourself experts."
2. Leo Laporte <http://twit.tv/>, at TWiT. I usually listen to This Week in Tech, The Tech Guy, MacBreak Weekly, Jumping Monkeys, and Munchcast.
3. Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me! <http://www.npr.org/programs/waitwait/>, at NPR. "The oddly informative news quiz."
You really don't need to watch yet another old sitcom rerun on Mobile TV, or listen to all the shallow local radio shows. Enjoy.
(Sorry, I can't help you from all the crowding and all the idiot commuters.)

**** Singapore Is Weak! <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2008/06/singapore-is-weak.html>
by Hard Hitting In The Lion City
As much as I respect Mr. Lee, if Singapore is ruined by the opposition in just 5 years, I'm afraid the PAP will have to take some of the blame as well.

**** Oldest Singapore Bus Stop To Be Preserved: LTA <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_251753.html>
by Tan Hui Yee, Straits Times
A 1970s bus stop due to be razed as part of improvement works will now be saved.

**** Opposition Would Ruin Singapore: Lee Kuan Yew <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5hO5GOaqrgGNspmaeLjs7LFRH6Fsw>
by AFP
The Singapore opposition would ruin the wealthy city-state's achivements in five years if they ever gained power, the country's founding father Lee Kuan Yew said.
/What I think he is saying is that opposition will ruin his idea of what Singapore should be./

**** Ok, Our Fault Again... <http://leelilian.blogspot.com/2008/06/ok-our-fault-again.html>
by Lee Lilian, The Itch To Write
Errmmmm... yes, it's again our fault, Singaporeans, you are careless, negligent!

**** Qantas, Singapore Deny Merger Speculation Due To Fuel Prices <http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23922761-23349,00.html>
by Steve Creedy, The Australian
Qantas and Singapore Airlines have moved to quash speculation they are looking at a merger as a result of crippling fuel prices.

**** Singapore's PM Says Water Security May Spark Conflicts <http://www.reuters.com/article/environmentNews/idUSSIN27852320080624>
by Melanie Lee, Reuters
Singapore's prime minister said on Tuesday that water security may be a source of conflicts, while launching an institute in the city-state to research Asia's water problems.

**** Inflation Drove This Man To Loansharks <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/inflation-drove-this-man-to-loansharks/>
by Daniel De Costa and Glenn Tan, The Online Citizen
Is our CID doing enough in serving the citizens that it has sworn to protect?

**** Religion And Its Discontents <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/06/religion-and-its-discontents.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot

**** Singapore's Quest To Be Less Dependent On Malaysia For Water Started At Separation <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/356371/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's quest to be less dependent on Malaysia for its water supply came about from day one when the country separated from its neighbour in 1965, minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew revealed on Wednesday.