[MyAppleMenu] Jun 9, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 9 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Dreaming Of The iPhone App Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/133827/2008/06/ihnatko_iphone_store.html>
by Andy Ihnatko, Macworld
I've been thinking about the sort of software that we'll see when the App Store opens and figuring out how much money its first month of availabilty is going to cost me.

**** What's Good For Apple Is Better For Everyone Else <http://www.wired.com/gadgets/wireless/news/2008/06/iphone_smartphones>
by Betsy Schiffman, Wired
It's a standard line for companies to say they "welcome competition," but it's usually a throwaway meant to deflect attention from strategic vulnerabilities. In the case of the iPhone, however, competitors earnestly have reason to welcome Apple to the market.

**** A PC Guy And MacBook Air <http://www.mikeyp.com/weblog/2008/06/09#usingthemacbookair>
by MikeyP.com
My experience with the MacBook Air has been total computing bliss. If only Windows machines were this elegant.

**** 3G iPhone Boxes Showing Up At Apple Stores <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/09/3g.iphone.at.apple.retail/>
by MacNN
Apple retail stores around the world are beginning to receive mysterious boxes (one box per store) with strict instructions not to be opened until next week, along with new unidentified signage.

**** PGP Unveils Pre-Boot Uthentication For Mac OS X <http://www.macworld.com/article/133830/2008/06/pgp.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Long time data encryption company PGP on Monday unveiled pre-boot authentication to the PGP Whole Disk Encryption for Mac OS X. The new features are available for Intel-based Macs running Mac OS X Tiger and Leopard.

**** The Keynote Line <http://www.maclife.com/article/the_keynote_line>
by Roboerto Baldwin, MacLife
The queue has already begun for tomorrow's event.

**** Shop And Awe: Apple's Australian Retail Debut <http://www.smh.com.au/news/biztech/shop-and-awe-apples-australian-retail-debut/2008/06/07/1212259178933.html?s_cid=rss_technology>
by Stephen Hutcheon, Sydney Morning Herald
Ron Johnson, the head of Apple's retail division, speaks to us exclusively about the new $15 million Sydney Apple Store - the company's first in the southern hemisphere.

**** Twitter Goes Into Battle Mode In Anticipation Of Apple News <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-9962934-36.html>
by Caroline McCarthy, CNET News.com

**** A Thriller In Ten Chapters <http://books.guardian.co.uk/departments/generalfiction/story/0,,2282065,00.html>
by Robert McCrum, The Guardian
When I joined The Observer in 1996, the world of books were in limbo between hot metal and cool word processing, but it would have been recognisable to many of our past contributors, from George Orwell and Cyril Connolly, to Anthony Burgess and Clive James. Everything smelled of the lamp. It was a world of ink an dpaper; of cigarettes, coffee and strong drink. Our distinguished critic George Steiner used to submit his copy in annotated typescript.

**** The Integrity Of The Courts <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/the-integrity-of-the-courts/>
by Lee Weijia, The Online Citizen
The judgements may becorrect in every conceivable way, but the courts will never have credibility if it is perceived, whether rightly or wrongly, to be biased.

**** Finance Ministry Says 3/4-Tank Rule For Cars Going Into Malaysia To Stay <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/352960/1/.html>
by Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia
At this point, the ministry said, there are no plans to review the three-quarter tank rule. It added the rule is part of Singapore's policy to moderate vehicle usage and reduce traffic congestion.

**** ST Telemedia Move On Indosat Stake 'An Insult' To Indonesia Legal System <http://www.forbes.com/afxnewslimited/feeds/afx/2008/06/09/afx5093965.html>
by Thomson Financial
Tbk, Indonesia's second-largest mobile phone company, to partner Qatar Telecom is 'an insult' to the legal system here, an official of the country's anti-trust body said on Monday.

**** Transcript Part V: CSJ Vs LKY <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2008/06/transcript-part-v-csj-vs-lky.html>
by Martyn See, No Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** Pity That Youthquake 2 Didn't Make It To The Richter Scale <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-894.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
What is an education, unless a person takes an interest in, and to a degree, participates in affairs of the world?

**** Hiring Executive! <http://taoism32.blogspot.com/2008/06/hiring-executive.html>
by Ramblings Of A Chinese American Expat In Singapore
I think if they have this posted in the US, the company will be sued so fast.

**** Callous Labelling Of Mental Illness Smacks Of Gutter Politics <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/callous-labelling-of-mental-illness-smacks-of-gutter-politics/>
by The Online Citizen
The present accusations are far more insidious than amateur political intimidation. They are a refined version of a form of gutter politics that uses medical accusations to serve political ends that we have seen before.

**** Government To Consult Johor N Pulau Pisang <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/6/9/nation/20080609121335&sec=nation>
by Izatun Shari, The Star
The federal government will consult the Johor state government officially before engaging with Singapore on taking over th emanagement administration of the lighthouse on Pulau Pisang.

**** Gopalan Nair Case Moves Media Activism To A New Level <http://journalism.sg/2008/06/09/gopalan-nair-case-moves-media-activism-to-a-new-level/>
by Journalism.sg
Nair's actions may mystify most Singaporeans - even government critics and opposition members - who prefer to stay clear of legal trouble if they can help it.

**** Temasek Unit Says Indosat Stake Sale 'Purely Business Decision' <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=aPU8jodwEEr8&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg
A Temasek Holdings Pte unit defended a plan to sell shares in PT Indosat, saying the divestment wasn't related to a May court ruling compelling the Singapore company to pare its investments in Indonesia's mobile-phone companies.

**** Attractions Too Pricey For Families <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_245827.html>
by Daryl Tan, Straits Times
Parents say that high admission fees and miscellaneous charges at spots like the Night Safari or Singapore Flyer are pricing them beyond a regular family's reach. A check of 10 main attractions here found that a day out would set a family of four back by $125 on average.

**** Fears Of Singapore Staking A Claim <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/National/2262230/Article/index_html>
by Satiman Jamin, New Straits Times
The fear that Pulau Merambong could become another contentious point with Singapore stems from its proximity to the republic, being about 1.6km from the reclaimed area of Tuas.
Tales of Gelang Patah fisherman harrassed by Singapore marine police near Pulau Merambong are not uncommon.

**** Temasek's Hands In Too Many Pies <http://utwt.blogspot.com/2008/06/temaseks-hands-in-too-many-pies.html>
by Under The Willow Tree
Perhaps it is time for the government to rethink its strategy with regards to its management of its sovereign wealth, and perhaps consider some sort of proper privatization of the GLCs under Temasek's ownership.
/Will you be comfortable if some private entity manage taxpayer's money? I certainly don't./

**** Pregnancy Perks Extended <http://mumsthewordorpa.blogspot.com/2008/06/pregnancy-perks-extended.html>
by Mum's The Word (Or Pa)
These little gimmes may not mean much in the larger scheme of things. Yet perhaps they not only brighten one's day, but serve to reaffirm the essential goodness of humanity... /Oh, what nonsese/.

**** Character Assassination Of The Most Uncharitable Kind <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/character-assassination-of-the-most-uncharitable-kind/>
by Anthony Yeo, The Online Citizen

**** Freedom Of Expression In Singapore Vs. Sri Lanka <http://ict4peace.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/freedom-of-expression-in-singapore-vs-sri-lanka/>
by ICT For Peacebuilding
The facade of a progressive, westernised society hides the reality of media cocooned in a straight-jacket of repressive legislation and government control.

**** Ms Chua Lee Hoong, Why Do You Even Bother? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=243>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net
Chua Lee Hoong has made absolutely no effort at hiding the true intentions of the state media which she works for. One propaganda piece after another, each one distoring the facts with greater and greater impunity, leaves me no doubt that Ms Chua and her state media are obsessed with putting the man down at all cost, even at the risk of destroying whatever credibility they have left (if any).

**** Transparency - More Or Less? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/transparency-more-or-less/>
by Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen
I would like to suggest a balance to satisfy the call for more transparency and the need to forestall others anticipating GIC's moves - why not disclose on a delayed 2-year basis? Historical information which is more than two years old, are of no use to others, and will also improve Singapore's international standing and reputation for disclosure and transparency.

**** 'No One Solution' <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/258360.asp>
by Walter Woon, Today
I gave the example of those who think that the right to free expression means that one can insult the prophet of a great religion with impunity. I asked rhtetorically, can we accept this in our society?

**** It's About Cruelty, Not Profits <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/258369.asp>
by Dudley Au, Today
There is no middle ground, where the supposed balance meets.

**** Tharman Shanmugaratnam Says Singapore Not Headed For A Recession <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/352786/1/.html>
by Chio Su-Mei, Channel NewsAsia
Finance minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam on Sunday gave the assurance that Singapore is not heading for a recession. "From all indications we have at this point, I don't think we're heading for a recession. But there will be discomfort on the ground."