[MyAppleMenu] Jun 7, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 7 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Breaking: Exclusive Leaked Pics Of The iPhone 2! Thinner Design? Check! Different Colors? Check! Video Chatting? Check And Check! <http://www.crunchgear.com/2008/06/06/breaking-exclusive-leaked-pics-of-the-iphone-2-thinner-design-check-different-colors-check-video-chatting-check-and-check/>
by Matt Hickey, CrunchGear

**** The Importance Of AAPL's Event On Monday Isn't A New iPhone <http://weblogs.jupiterresearch.com/analysts/gartenberg/archives/2008/06/the_importance.html>
by Michael Gartenberg, Jupiter Research
Everyone wants to be a platform, that's because platforms are powerful. But there's a natural catch-22 to platforms. Developers typically are not interested in developing until there's a solid base (like a million + units) and device companies can't get that base without third party apps. Apple has broken this logjam quite well, giving a real user base of millions of devices to developers who seem eager to flock to it.

**** Those Intense iPhone Users <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/06/06/those-intense-iphone-users/index.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Laura M. Holson, New York Times
It's no surprise that 25- to 34-year-olds make up the largest segment of owners, or a third of all iPhone users. But the over-50 set makes a significant showing, too, as 14.4 percent of iPhone users are aged 55 years old to 64 years old.

**** Apple Launches Official Keynote Podcast Ahead Of WWDC Address <http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-launches-official-keynote-podcast-ahead-of-wwdc-address/>
by Charles Starrett, iLounge

**** Service Scrubber Cleans Services Menu <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9643>
by Adam C. Engst, TidBITS
Here's hoping Apple puts more thought into making services more discoverable in the next big cat, and until then, I strongly recommend that you use Service Scrubber to make the Services menu work the way you want.

**** WWDC Goes Mainstream <http://www.macworld.com/article/133815/2008/06/ihnatko_wwdc.html>
by Andy Ihnatko, Macworld
I come not to bemoan this phenomenon, but to praise it.

**** Ambrosia To Make Mahjong Game For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/133817/2008/06/aki.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Ambrosia Software on Friday announced plans to get into the iPHone software busines with Aki Mobile Mahjong, a rewritten version of their Mac game Aki Mahjong Solitaire designed specifically for the iPhone.

**** The iPhone's A Game Changer For Phone Games <http://www.macworld.com/article/133811/2008/06/iphone_games.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
I think that original-thinking developers are looking at the iPhone as an opportunity to try new things.

**** Bugs &amp; Fixes: Troubleshooting Advice And Mac OS X 10.5.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133808/2008/06/0606bugsnfixes.html>
by Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Apple To Open Store At The Louvre In Paris <http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_9499328?nclick_check=1>
by John Boudreau, San Jose Mercury News
For those who view Apple's design sensibilities as something akin to art, the company's plans for a store at the Louvre in Paris should come as no surprise.

**** Dilberts Of The World, Unite! <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080623/sirota>
by David Sirota, The Nation
Can a populist uprising flourish in a sector traditionally hostile to collective action?

**** Cities For Living <http://www.city-journal.org:80/2008/18_2_urb-leon_krier.html>
by Roger Scruton, City Journal
American visitors to Paris, Rome, Prague, or Barcelona, comparing what they see with what is familiar from their own continent, will recognize how careless their countrymen often have been in their attempts to create cities. But the American who leaves the routes prescribed by the Ministries of Tourism will quickly see that Paris is miraculous in no small measure because modern architects have not been able to get their hands on it.

**** Playing The Odds <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/08/books/review/Johnson-G-t.html?partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by George Johnson, New York Times
State lotteries, it's sometimes said, are a tax on people who don't understand mathematics. But there is no cause for anyone to feel smug.

**** The Ache Of Censorship <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/06/06/RVLTV9BUO.DTL&feed=rss.books>
by Yiyun Li, San Francisco Chronicle
Good and evil, black and white, never make for memorable characters. It is the gray banding the nature of every human that makes me still wonder, from time to time, about the people, anonymous or apparent, operating the machine of censorship.

**** Sonnet By Billy Collins <http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,,2284289,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=10>
by Guardian

**** So What's The Game Plan? <http://statestimes.wordpress.com/2008/06/07/so-whats-the-game-plan/>
by The States Times

**** The Phoney War <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/the-phoney-war/>
by The Online Citizen
Given the apparent flimsiness of the charges, the only thing that Nair's arrest might serve to accomplish is to reveal the extent to which the judiciary's integrity will be compromised for political ends.

**** Lessons About Discrimination From The Book Of St James <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2008/06/lessons-about-discriminations-from-book.html>
by Huang Shoou Chyuan, nofearSingapore
Whatever it is, don't tell me that even if I am willing to pay the sky-high price and work to be the best of the best that I am barred because I am not Green or not Singoopoolean!

**** "Don't Rock The Boat!" <http://sturmdesjahrhunderts.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/dont-rock-the-boat/>
by Die Neue Welle

**** David Vs Goliath In Court <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/6/7/focus/21471972&sec=focus>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
In the court of public opinion, neither side came out winners.
The opposition leader, however, has emerged with an improved standing among Singaporeans who hanker for a stronger opposition. Coffeeshop critics talk of "bullying".

**** Restrictions Follow Critics To Cyberspace <http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=42703>
by Lin Quan Zhong, IPS
When Lee Hsien Loong became Singapore's prime minister after his fater, Lee Kuan Yew, four years ago, he encouraged citizens to "feel free to express diverse views, pursue unconventional ideas, or simply be different." Today, these hopes for a city-state that can be more relaxed about criticism and more open to frank debate appear to have been too high.

**** Instant Messages Outpace SMS Texting <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_245124.html>
by Tan Weizhen, Straits Times

**** What Is Chee Soon Juan's Game Plan? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/258109.asp>
by Today
Put those questions in the context of a society that shies away from a public fight, even more a political fight, and Chee's personality, actions and intentions become even more intriguing.

**** SDP Starts Fund To Raise $2K For Chees' Appeals <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_245118.html>
by Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times
The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) launched a legal defence fund on Friday and appealed for ocntributions so that party chief Chee Soon Juan and his sister Siok Chin can mount appeals against their convictions for contempt of court.