[MyAppleMenu] Jun 6, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jun 6 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** iPhone 2.0 Takes On The World <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/jun2008/tc2008065_290813.htm?campaign_id=yhoo>
by Arik Hesseldahl and Jennifer L. Schenker, BusinessWeek
The new version of the iPHone will do more than perhaps any other device in history to fuel Apple's ability to reach international markets.

**** Toon Boom Offers Pencil Check Pro <http://www.macworld.com/article/133805/2008/06/pencilcheck.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
Pencil Check Pro is line testing software &mdash; software that helps animators create and preview a line test movie with synchronized sound.

**** Speculation Mounts For New iPhone <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7435825.stm>
by Jane Wakefield, BBC News
Apple fans are waiting with bated breath - and a seemingly unending supply of rumours - for the iPhone Version 2.
/Only one new thing, I suppose, is more or less confirmed: 3G. Every thing else are pure speculations./

**** Decoding Apple's WWDC Clues <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9961527-7.html>
by Jennifer Guevin, CNET News.com
With the company's Worldwide Developers Conference around the corner, our intrepid photographer, James Martin, took a stroll past Moscone West and managed to snap these photos of banners hanging inside before the convention hall heavies came and shooed him away.

**** Rogers Wireless Halts June-July Vacations <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/06/rogers.halts.vacations/>
by MacNN
Managers at retail locations of Rogers Wireless, one of Canada's three major cellular companies, are being told not to take vacations during a specific period beginning later this month, a source from within the company claims.

**** Australian Resellers Get Mystery Apple Boxes <http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/06/06/aus.mystery.apple.boxes/>
by Electronista
Australian resellers are receiving packages from Apple they aren't allowed to open until after Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference, /MacTalk/ says.

**** Voice Recording For iPhone, iPod Touch <http://www.macworld.co.uk/ipod-itunes/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21569>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Plum Amazing is a new company that's sprung up to develop applications for the iPod touch and iPhone, and today announced its first two mobile applications, which will ship "as soon as the AppStore comes online".

**** iPhone 3G To Hit Europe July 1St? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1823>
by Jason D. O'Grady, ZDNet.com
T-Mobile Germany has added a yellow offer sticky in the last few days to their iPhone page stating that they will only be offering the current iPhone until 30 June 2008.

**** Future Photoshop UI Changes <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/06/future_photoshop_ui.html>
by John Nack, Adobe
"Are you telling me," I asked, "that we're going to put a huge, battleship-gray box into the background on the Mac, as it is on Windows? /Why would we do that?"/
After I'd used the app frame for a little while&mdash;well, what do you know? I like it, and not because they pay me to say so.

**** The iPhone Stakeout: Part I <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/06/05/iphone-stakeout-apple-tech-personal-cx_0605iphone.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
A visit Wednesday evening to a West Coast distributor center of Apple contract manufacturer Quanta Computer shows a company hustling to get mysterious boxees of, well, something, on the move.

**** WWDC 08: Early Photos From Moscone West <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/05/wwdc.08.early.photos/>
by MacNN

**** What Do Mac Developers Want From Apple? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1819>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet.com

**** AT&amp;T Now Out Of iPhones <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/05/att-now-out-of-iphones>
by Charles Jade, Ars Technica

**** Apple Rebates: A Great Side Effect Of Doing It All Yourself <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/06/05/apple-rebates-a-great-side-effect-of-doing-it-all-yourself>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
Since the company makes and sells all its own stuff, it can run what is quite possibly the best rebate website in existence.

**** WWDC 2008 Keynote Bingo <http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2008/06/05/wwdc-2008-keynote-bingo>
by John Siracusa, Ars Technica
The bigger problem (if you can call it that) is that, in the past decade or so, Apple has fulfilled almost every long-standing product fantasy. A modern OS, crazy new case designs, x86 CPUs, a set-top box, a hand-held video player, a phone, a newton successor (n.b. "successor," not "clone"), a sub-notebook... what's left, really?

**** Does Apple Have An OS X Update Up Its Sleeve At WWDC? <http://www.macworld.com/article/133787/2008/06/osx106.html>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
By making OS X faster, more stable, and more secure, it becomes a better OS everywhere it's being used&mdash;whether that be on a Mac, on an iPhone or iPod touch, or on some yet-unknown Apple hardware device that we'll all be craving in the near future.

**** Monopolizing My Mind <http://www.macworld.com/article/133789/2008/06/monopolizemind.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
The people behind coding Monopoly for mobile devices understand how to put board games on the small screen and make them enjoyable.

**** iPhone Won't Beat The Nintendo DS At Its Own Game <http://www.macworld.com/article/133784/2008/06/iphone_ds.html>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
The iPhone, at its heart, is not a gaming machine. Not in the way that the DS is, where every design consideration is given to one task, and one taks only: playing games.
/On the other hand, phones have already killed off PDAs./

**** Low Cost, Ultra-Portable Laptops Changing PC World <http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/story.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10514793>
by Sheena Lee, New Zealand Herald
For around a quarter of the price of a regular notebook, PC makers such as Acer and Asustek Computer displayed simpler laptops at this year's Computex trade fair in Taiwan, hoping to open up a new market and bolster the fortunes of PC makers as an economic slowdown curbs spending.

**** What Newspapers Still Don't Understand About The Web <http://publishing2.com/2008/06/04/what-newspapers-still-dont-understand-about-the-web/>
by Scott Karp, Publishing 2.0
Why is Google making more money everyday while newspapers are making less? I'm going to pick on The Washington Post again only because it's my local paper and this is a local example.

**** Two Poems <http://www.guernicamag.com/poetry/602/two_poems_10/>
by Hamutal Bar-Yosef, translated by Rachel Tzvia Back, Guernica

**** On The Road, Supposedly Headed For Fun <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121271714929750919.html?mod=rss_Books>
by Jonathan Eig, Wall Street Journal
We'll always have Walley World.

**** Salad Days For The Internet <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/05/fashion/05cyber.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Michelle Slatalla, New York Times
Buy food online to eat locally? It sounded unnatural, or at least counterintuitive. But the phenomenon is growing nationwide.

**** Traditional Fishing To Be Allowed In Batu Puteh, Middle Rocks And South Ledge Waters <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=337900>
by Bernama
Malaysia and Singapore have agreed that fishermen of both countries would be allowed to continue with their current traditional fishing activities in the waters around Batu Puteh (Pedra Branca), Middle Rocks and South Ledge.

**** Simple Analogy On How Tax-Reduction Are Not Helping The Poor <http://leelilian.blogspot.com/2008/06/simple-analogy-on-how-subsidies-are-not.html>
by Lee Lilian, The Itch To Write

**** Singapore's Poor Turn To Temples To Fill Bellies <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/080606/3/3kgmm.html>
by Reuters
Long lines of strained faces wait inside to scoop up ladles of rice, noodles and stir-fries. They then stand next to walls to shovel in the food if they can't find a spot at packed tables.
Most are elderly or labourers, in a country that has the second highest GDP per capita in Asia after Japan but ranks alongside the Philippines and Guatemala for income disparity.

**** Singapore's GIC To Fully Subscribe To New UBS Shares <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=a1lGZK71nIOY&refer=asia>
by Chia-Peck Wong, Bloomberg
UBS, the bank with the second-highest writedowns and credit losses from the subprime crisis, plans to sell new shares at a 31 percent discount to May 31's price to raise about 16 billion Swiss francs in new capital, the company said last month.

**** Taxi And Tour Bus Operators Expect Big Losses After Malaysian Fuel Hike <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/352416/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
THe prices of tour bus tickets to and from Malaysia are likely to increse. Bus transport operators are already expecting to make big losses, following the fuel hike in Malaysia.

**** Transcript Part III: CSJ Vs LKY <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2008/06/transcript-part-lll-csj-vs-lky.html>
by Martyn See, No Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** Judging The Judiciary <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/06/judging-the-judiciary/>
by Gerald Giam, The Online Citizen
The PAP leaders who have been bringing lawsuits against their political opponents all these years never cease to boast about the independence of our judiciary. Unfortunately, what they don't seem to realise is that every frivolous lawsuit they launch only serves to chip away at ordinary Singaporeans' confidence in the judiciary.

**** Sub-Committee To Oversee Joint Survey Of Pedra Branca, Middle Rocks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/352331/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The foreign ministers of both countries released a joint statement on Friday, saying that a technical sub-committee will be set up to oversee joint survey works, to prepare for eventual talks on maritime issues in and around that area.

**** Saving Gaia Ad, But What's The Message? <http://www.choongyong.com/2008/06/06/saving-gaia-ad-but-whats-the-message/>
by Choongyong.com
I applaud the effort to raise awareness, but questions the message behind the TV advertisement.

**** The Real Taste Of Freedom <http://statestimes.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/the-real-taste-of-freedom/>
by The States Times
With the new AG drawing his line in the sand so early in his honeymoon year, it looks like Singapore will be sticking to the artificially flavored stuff.

**** Still Not Much News About Gopalan Nair <http://ethicalmartini.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/still-not-much-news-about-gopalan-nair/>
by Ethical Martini

**** Group Takes Aim At SIA's Rodeo Scene <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/257926.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
Claiming Singapore Airlines' ad shows "a lack of compassion towards animals," the Asia Pacific branch of the US-based animal rights group Peta (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals) gave SIA its Litterbox Award.

**** Nair Out On Bail, Hopes To Leave <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/257932.asp>
by Teo Xuanwei, Today
One of the first things that former Signaproean lawyer and ex-Workers' Party election candidate Gopalan Nair hoped to do after he was released on bail yesterday was to return to the United States to settle some personal affairs.
Nair's lawyer, Mr Chia Ti Lik, said Nair's car has been racking up parking charges at the San Francisco Airport since he came here on May 25. The lease for his law firm in California is also due soon.

**** Tech On TV <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/257889.asp>
by Christopher Toh, Today
We all know laptops are portable, but just how protable ar ethey? And just how sturdy are some of the gadgets today? These are just some of the questions posed on The WTF! Show, a new 30-minute TV technology and consumer gadget review show produced by Mega Media and King Content, and broadcast on Sling HD, the first Singaporean HD channel.

**** A Perfect Hiding Place <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,166622,00.html>
by Ng Tze Yong, New Paper
Today is Mas Selamat's 100th day on the run. He is believed to be in Singapore, but if he did go overseas, one NTU don says it would be to Riau...
/There has been no evidence offered by anyone that Mas Selamat is still in Singapore./