[MyAppleMenu] Jun 4, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jun 4 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Apple's Biggest Threat: High Expectations <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=9015>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet.com
When Jobs actually delivers another great sermon to the APple faithful there's a slight letdown. Why? Folks got too far ahead of themselves in anticipation of Apple's keynote.

**** Apple Inks Japan iPhone Deal With Softbank <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/06/04/japan.iphone.deal.inked/>
by MacNN
In a statement released today, SoftBank said it will sell Apple's iPhone later this year, but did not provide any other details in the terse statement.

**** File-Saving Issues On Mac OS 10.5.3 <http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2008/06/filesaving_issu.html>
by Jack Nack, Adobe
The slightly longer story is that saving directly to a network is a generally bad idea.

**** When It Comes To Apple, Proprietary, 'Schmaprietary' <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10787_3-9959188-60.html>
by Charles Cooper, CNET News.com
If it's going to attract new customers, the high-tech industry will need to behave more like the consumer electronics industry. That means simplicity. I want to plug in my stereo, turn it on, and listen to a CD. I don't want to first download the CD-enabling software. And when it comes to tech companies, Apple is the closest to providing that sort of simplicity, be it for music or photos. The company's "closed" behavior, you can argue, is what makes that simplicity possible. What limited Apple's appeal is now working to its advantage.

**** Apple Expands iTunes U To Four New Countries <http://www.macworld.com/article/133749/2008/06/itunesu.html?t=201>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Apple on Tuesday extended the reach of iTunes U into four new countries. Australia, Ireland, New Zealand and the UK joins the U.S. and Canadian universities offering content on the free service.

**** Apple And Google's Awkward Mobile Marriage <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/6/apple_and_googles_awkward_mobile_marriage_aapl_goog>
by Hank Williams, Silicon Alley Insider
Here's the thing: Apple /needs/ Google.

**** Roxio Toast 9 Titanium - Mac Review <http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/reviews/review.phtml/3190/4214/roxio-toast-9-burning-software.phtml>
by Doug Harman, Pocket-lint
Toast 9 Titanium is a remarkable piece of software because despite the remarkable feature set, the interface is so easy to use that Toast seems, well, so simple that it cannot do the things it can.

**** The Straight-Up Lowdown On Apple TV Annoyances <http://www.macworld.com/article/133750/2008/06/appletvannoyance.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
You fire up iTuns and the Apple TV is there one minute and gone the next.

**** Essential Mac Maintenance: Rev Up Your Routines <http://www.macworld.com/article/133730/2008/06/maintenance_routines.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
Macs are rlatively hassle-free&mdash;most people can get by without doing any routine maintenance at all. But you can greatly reduce your chances of problems, both big and small, by regularly performing a few simple tasks.

**** Monopoly Reaches iTunes Store <http://www.ipodnn.com/articles/08/06/03/monopoly.at.itunes.store/>
by iPodNN
The latest game on the iTunes Store is Electronic Arts' adaptation of the classic boardgame Monopoly, Apple has announced.

**** Grandfather Builds Web Browser For Autistic Boy <http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/06/03/grandfather_builds_web_browser_for_autistic_boy/>
by Brian Bergstein, Boston Globe
John LeSieur is in the software business, so he took particular interest when computers seemed mostly useless to his 6-year-old grandson, Zackary. The boy has autism, and the whirlwind of options presented by PCs so confounded him that he thew the mouse in frustration.

**** Start-Up Releases Smaller Version Of Flip Camcorder <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/04/technology/04flip.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Brad Stone, New York Times

**** Blackberry Deprivation <http://www.weeklystandard.com/Content/Public/Articles/000/000/015/166ljydr.asp?pg=1>
by Jalme Snelder, Weekly Standard
As George W. Bush told a small group of friends just days before being sworn in, "Since I do not want my private conversations looked at by thouse out to embarrass, the only course of action is not to correspond in cyberspace." In the last eight years, president Bush has not sent a single message. And future presidents are all but certain to follow in his footsteps.

**** Inflated Phrases <http://www.signandsight.com/features/1703.html>
by Christian Demand, Signandsight
Most texts which accompany contemporary art production are so twisted and woolly that they could easily pass for self-parody.

**** A Yellow House In New Orleans <http://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/content.cfm?ArticleID=319&Entry=CurrentIssuehttp://www.oxfordamericanmag.com/content.cfm?ArticleID=319&Entry=CurrentIssue>
by Sarah M. Broom, Oxford American
We stood facing a fifty-foot-long burrow int he ground beginning near the curb and running, shadowlike, the length of where the house used to be. My friend asked where certain rooms were, where Ivory and my banjo-playing dad, Simon, once slept. I tried to pinpoint them, but found myself confused.

**** How I Learned To <Heart> Breakfast (Or At Least What To Eat For It) <http://nymag.com/restaurants/features/breakfast/47396/>
by Amanda Fortini, New York Magazine
Since so many researchers argue that breakfast does matter, I began to investigate.

**** Attorney-General Says "Human Rights Now A Religion" With Fanatics <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-890.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
In a large part of the world, and one with which we depend on for our survival and prosperity, there is a broad current of opinion moving inexorably forward. Silly rhetoric by our attorney-general is hardly the right way to cope with change.

**** Singapore Will Wait To See What New Evidence Malaysia Can Produce Over Pedra Branca <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/351895/1/.html>
by Imedla Saad, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore law minister K Shanmugam said Singapore will wait and see if the Malaysian government can come up with any new evidence to renew Malaysia's claim on Pedra Branca. "My own view is that the international court has ruled, and both countries have said that they accept the ruling... As to what this new evidence is, we'll wait and see," said the Singapore law minister.

**** Law Minister Shanmugam Condemns Attacks On Judiciary <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/351893/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Singapore's law minister K Shanmugam said it is the duty of all citizens to condemn attacks made on the country's judiciary.
/It seems like he is saying that all we need to have an independent and just judiciary is to not say we don't have an indpendent and just judiciary, and to condemn anyone who claim that we don't have an indpendent and just judiciary./

**** More Turning To Cheaper Housebrands To Beat Rising Costs <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_244334.html>
by Judith Tan, Straits Times
The Nielsen Retail Index survey also showed that more Singaporean shoppers are turning to supermarkets for fresh foods.

**** St James Power Station Article <http://www.alvinloh.com/?p=236>
by Dejavu
If the club doesn't appreciate your money and your business, find somewhere else then.

**** Blogger Arrested In Singapore For Supposing Otherwise <http://edsperience.vox.com/library/post/singapore-dissident-lee-kuan-yew-if-bloggers-who-defame-me-identify-themselves-i-will-sue-them.html>
by ed'sperience

**** Thoughts On Singapore Becoming High-Cost, Low-Tech <http://the-double-0-project.net/blog/?p=138>
by Noughts
It appears likely that we are going to face a future where both the developers of technology and the people who manage them are going to be foreigners.

**** AirAsia Says It Needs More Flights To Singapore To Stay Competitive <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news_business.php?id=337184>
by Bernama
AirAsia Tuesday said it would need to step up its frequency to Singapore by at least another four flights daily to stay competitive and keep its rising ocsts, such as increasing fuel prices, at bay.