[MyAppleMenu] Jun 2, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jun 2 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** iPhone: One Year Later <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_and_wireless&articleId=318051&taxonomyId=15&intsrc=kc_feat>
by Matt Hamblen, Computerworld
Apple's splash into the cell phone market proved consumers will pay for hip devices. Now the race is on to one-up the iPhone.

**** First Look: Adobe Acrobat 9 <http://www.macworld.com/article/133707/2008/06/acrobat9.html>
by Melissa J. Perenson, PC World
With the new Acrobat 9, Aodbe adds features that elevate Acrobat to a potential must-have application for business and individuals alike.

**** The Future Of Mobile Social Networking <http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20844/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review
iPhone users will soon be able to enjoy Whrrl, software that combines activity recommendations with real-time location data.

**** What Is A Task And A Note - OS X iCal/Mail/Gamil Vs Outlook <http://tech.kateva.org/2008/06/what-is-task-and-note-os-x.html>
by John Gordon, Gordon's Tech
OS X Notes/Tasks are almost the mirror image of Outlook Notes/Tasks.

**** Bloomberg Versus Apple <http://www.nysun.com/editorials/bloomberg-versus-apple/79070/>
by New York Sun
If this was all so clear to newspaper eidtors and the judge, one wonders why the politicians who are the ostensible clients of the class action lawyers did not realize it before giving Grant &amp; Eisenhofer the go-ahead to run up Apple's legal bills.

**** The MacBook Air: Thin Enough To Slice A Cake <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/06/01/AR2008060100746.html>
by Erick Schonfeld, TechCrunch.com

**** Me.com Belongs To Apple; Vegas iMac Deal <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/06/01/me_com_belongs_to_apple_vegas_imac_deal.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
Apple's internet service strategy has become clearer with the transfer of Me.com to the company.

**** Spring <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/06/09/080609po_poem_stern>
by Gerald Stern, New Yorker

**** Dearborn Suite <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/06/09/080609po_poem_levine>
by Philip Levine, New Yorker

**** Coffeehouse Is Not The Same Old Grind <http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2008/06/01/coffeehouse_is_not_the_same_old_grind/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Book+reviews>
by Danielle Drellinger, Boston Globe
Writers and coffee go together like deadlines and trying to avoid starting your article with a cliche.

**** Magical Spielism <http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2008/06/01/magical_spielism/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Book+reviews>
by Steve Almond, Boston Globe
The novelist John Gardner claimed there are two basic plots in fiction: someone goes on a trip, or a stranger comes to town. Salman Rushdie's "Enchantress of Florence" opens with a stranger coming to town, and ends with the same fellow heading off on a trip.

**** On A Punishing Trail, Personal Truths Are The Reward <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/pacificnw/2004445698_pacificpmarathon01.html?syndication=rss>
by Benjamin J. Romano, Seattle Times
Behind a chalk line on a dustry road int he igh valley east of Snoqualmie Pass, 93 extraordinarily fit humans are making final preparations for a 100-mile journey through lush Cascade forests, rock, wind-swept ridges, slick, ankle-twisting ravines, rain, darkness and extreme fatigue.

**** A Distance Place Of Entitlement: Singapore And Lee Kuan Yew <http://www.sh0n.net/spstarr/blog/?p=25>
by Shawn Starr, What's The Weather?
Spoken like a true person of entitlement. For one could neve rbelieve corruption could have existed within one's government. You see Mr. Lee, if you came to the West with that kind of smugness, the people would toss you and your party out, sound economics or not. No court would save you here.

**** Chee Siblings Get Jail Terms For Contempt Of Court <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/351353/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore Democratic Party chief Chee Soon Juan has been sentenced to 12 days in prison for contempt of court. His sister, Chee Siok Chin, has to serve a 10-day jail term.

**** Barking Up The Wrong Tree On FDW Legislation? <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/barking-up-the-wrong-tree-on-fdw-legislation.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
proponents of legislating mandatory rest day should really be calling for legislation making accreditation compulsory, i.e. licensing.

**** Chee's Sister Jailed 10 Days For Contempt Of Court <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/STIStory_243558.html>
by Zakir Hussain, Straits Times
In passing sentence at the High Court, justice Belinda Ang noted that Ms Chee had disobeyed the court's orders and scandalised the court over three days last week during a hearing to assess damages in a defamation suit brought against the Chee siblings and the SDP by prime minister Lee Hisen Loong and minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew.

**** Amazing Weather In Singapore <http://www.autho-rity.info/2008/06/01/amazing-weather-in-singapore/>
by Authority Sites Directory Blog

**** Big Brother Singapore <http://prabaganesan.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/big-brother-singapore/>
by Batu 9
Taking back policies in a week does not make you look smart or revolutionary, and right now it seems all that it takes for our policies down is a bit of advice from our neighbours.

**** Lost Islands Of The Singapore River - Part 1 <http://timesofmylife.wordpress.com/2008/06/02/lost-islands-of-the-singapore-river-part-1/?from=myapplemenu>
by Times Of My Life
Guess this sandbar is completely removed fromt he mouth of the Singapore River by now.

**** Re-Discovering Singapore 1 <http://jyinggg.blogspot.com/2008/06/re-discovering-singapore-1.html>
by Drawing On A Smile

**** Peace And Flights
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
I always enjoyed going to Changi Airport, because it was a quiet, peaceful and calm space.
But a recent visit to Terminal 3 has shattered this mental image, and I found myself not enjoying the trip at all. It was just like yet another Singapore shopping mall.
I guess I should have turned left towards Terminal 1 and 2 when I got off from the MRT train, but I didn't, and now I am afraid of going there again. I guess I'll have to find another place in Singapore where I can find peace and calm.
Or I should just stay home. :-)

**** Transcript Part II: CSJ Vs LKY <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2008/06/transcript-part-ll-csj-vs-lky.html>
by Martyn See, No Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** My Magic Sets The Bar For Local Film-Makers <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_243502.html>
by Cara Van Miriah, Straits Times
The honour of competing alongside 21 other shortlisted films - including those by luminaries like dcirectors Clint Eastwood and Steven Soderbergh - was an encouraging indication of how far the Repbulic's film scene has come since lapsing into moribund inactivity for three decades after a golden age in the 1950s and 1960s.

**** Park 'Dis-connectors' Not For Jogging Or Cycling <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_243402.html>
by Liang Wern Kang, Straits Times
I look forward to when park connectors truly connect, even if it means underground tunnels or wheelchair-friendly bridges, as this will help the environment, our health, traffic and economy in the long run.

**** Go On, Clench The Iron Fist <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/190514.html>
by Mollymeek
The rest of the world outside Singaproe could watch and smile wryly. Those in Singapore could continue to participate in the demonization of Fools. Or they could continue to sigh, with or without resignation. Bitterness could continue to grow and continue to be repressed.

**** Molly's Questions For MM Lee <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/190409.html>
by Mollymeek

**** Which Hat Was Tan Kin Lian Wearing? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/257063.asp>
by P N Balji, Today
However hard he tried to portray the battle in his blog as one between insurer and policyholder over changes in bonus payouts, somehow his previous role in the organisation became the news.