[MyAppleMenu] Jul 26, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 26 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Staarting To Restore MobileMe Email Access, Some Email Lost <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/26/apple-starting-to-restore-mobileme-email-access-some-email-lost/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com
Apple admits that while the majority of email messages will be fully restored, approximately 10% of messages received between 5.00 a.m. PDT on July 16th and 10.20 a.m. PDT on July 17th have been lost.

**** Open Tech: Apple Can't Stop Us From Making Mac Clones <http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/07/open-tech-apple.html>
by Brian X. Chen, Wired
An official from Open Tech has said the company is confident it can sell its Mac clones and avoid a lawsuit from Apple. He wasn't so confident that he was willing to let us publish his full name, though.

**** Apple's Culture Of Secrecy <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/business/26nocera.html?_r=1&oref=login>
by Joe Nocera, New York Times
On Thursday afternoon, several hours after I'd gotten my final "Steve's health is a private matter" &mdash; and much to my amazement &mdash; Mr. Jobs called me. "This is Steve Jobs," he began. "You think I'm an arrogant <expletive> who thinks he's above the law, and I think you're a slime bucket who gets most of his facts wrong."

**** Big Shiny Apple <http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news/business/story.html?id=23b9c700-27d9-4812-af8a-4099a169b7f5>
by Roberto ROcha, Montreal Gazette
Everyone's MacHappy in Montreal as the Apple flagship opens on Ste. Catherine St.

**** V.C. Advice To Entrepreneurs: It's Not All About The iPhone <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/25/vc-advice-to-entrepreneurs-its-not-all-about-the-iphone/>
by Claire Cain Miller, New York Times
Venture capitalists told mobile entrepreneurs to broaden their focus and build applications for all phones.
/But make sure you have a presence in the iPhone./

**** Are Things Going Rotten At Apple? <http://www.npr.org/blogs/visibleman/2008/07/are_things_going_rotten_at_app_1.html>
by John Ridley, NPR
Better if they could get back to the days when their end-to-end experience really worked end-to-end.
/Cannot handle demand? A good problem to have, but a problem nevertheless. What's more worrying to me is the inability of MobileMe to perform, given that there is no evidence really of major influx of demand over the last month./

**** Teaching Audio Engineering While On The Road With Ozzy <http://www.macworld.com/article/134676/2008/07/audioengineering.html?sr=hotnews>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
"There are two prerequisites to becoming a great audio engineer," said Greg Price. "First, you have to play an instrument and second, you have to use a Mac."

**** Prepping Web Images With iWatermark <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9707>
by Neale Monks, TidBITS
It does everything an impage prep program needs to do with minimal fuss. Simply as a resizing and reformatting tool it would earn its keep; that it adds watermarks as well is icing on the cake.

**** Copy &amp; Paste References Spotted In Existing iPhone Frameworks <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/25/copypaste_references_spotted_in_existing_iphone_frameworks.html>
by AppleInsider
One developer has stumbled upon references to copy and paste in the frameworks of Apple's first beta of iPhone Software 2.1.

**** Review: NetNewsWire For iPhone And iPod Touch <http://www.macworld.com/article/134481/2008/07/nnwiphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld

**** Microsoft Tries To One-Up Google PageRank <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-9999038-93.html>
by Stephen Shankland, CNET News.com
A big part of Google's rise to search engine leadership was an algorithm called PageRank that assesses a specific page's importance by how many other eb pages link to it and by the importance of those linking pages. Microsoft reserchers and academic collaborators, thoug, detailed an idea this week it calls BrowseRank that seeks to bring more of a human touch to that assessment.

**** Will I Am <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/books/review/Schillinger-t.html>
by Liesl Schillinger, New York Times
Heavens to Murgatroyd! What could William Shakespeare, bard of Avon, possibly have in common with the cartoon characters Lilo and Stich, Mickey Mouse and Buzz Lightyear? If you read "My Name Is WIll," a lusty, pun-drunk first novel by the professional wiseacre and award-winning cartoon producer Jess Winfield (who had a hand in the above-entioned entertaiments), you will indubitably find out. But be "vewwy, vewwy careful."

**** Branded <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/books/review/Manjoo-t.html>
by Farhad Manjoo, New York Times
That we are, as a nation, consumed by consumerism will surprise few. But as the journalist Rob Walker points out in "Buying In: The Secret Dialogue Between What We Buy and Who We Are," few of us will admit that we frequently succumb to salesmanship, and that marketing produces in us needs we never knew we had.

**** Seeking Perfection In The Kitchen Of A 4-Star Restaurant <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/business/26pursuits.html>
by Harry Hurt III, New York Times
At my request, Eric and Chris Muller arranged for me to get a firsthand experience of Le Bernardin's exquisite attention to detail during two seven-hour lunch and dinner shifts.

**** Not All Bad News <http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11792392>
by The Economist
Newspapers are thriving in many developing countries.

**** SM Goh Confident PAP Will Eventually Win Back Hougang <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/362984/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
"In your walkabouts, check on the estate maintenance. If Mr Low has done a good job, give him credit for it. If there are deficiencies, point them out to the residents. In short, play the role of an effective opposition in Hougang."
"Eventually I believe we will win Hougang back, but whether we do or not, I think (we should) serve the people. That's what we are here for."

**** Historical Documents May Be Hidden And That Hinders Claiming Them: Sidek <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=348752>
by Bernama
One of the problems of obtaining historical documents taken abroad was that they were difficult to locat eand there was a posibility that were being hidden by certain quarters.
National Archives director-general Sidek Jamil said that was one reason and not that the countries concerned did not want to cooperate.

**** 'I've Never Considered Fleeing': Bailed Lloyd Speaks Out <http://www.theage.com.au/national/ive-never-considered-fleeing-bailed-lloyd-speaks-out-20080726-3les.html>
by Caroline Marcus, The Age
A legal source in Singapore said prosecutors were "scraping the bottom of the barrel" to add new charges in order to make an example of the correspondent.
"Recreational drugs are not accepted and anything to do with it, (the Singapore government) will come down like a ton of bricks," said the source.

**** Do Not Test Us, Rais Cautions Singapore <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=348683>
by Bernama
Singapore has been told not to test Malaysia through its claim of an exclusive economic zone (EEZ) around Pulau Batu Puteh as such action is tntamount to "stirring a hornet's nest", foreign minister Datuk Seri Rais Yatim said Saturday.
"If you want to negotiate, lets negotiate. THere is no need to encroach, no need to test the market or our waters," he told reporters.

**** Singapore Visitors Fall For First Time In 51 Months: Government <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5in8YKNhR5dI9_4K1WVGZ5deezJbQ>
by AFP
The number of visitors to Singapore fell 4.1 percent in June, the first monthly decline after more than four years of gains, the city-state's tourism board said.

**** The Unusual Suspects <http://www.aziacity.com/sg/magazine/feature/the_unusual_suspects>
by Ramesh William and Zaki Jufri, Azia City Singapore
Getting to know three of our city's most famous "eccentrics."

**** Temasek Sold '5M Merrill Shares', Not Half Its Stake <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_261446.html>
by Grace Ng, Straits Times
/The Sraits Times/ understands that Temasek has in fact not sold half its stake -it only apeared to do so due to a reporting glitch.

**** Dilemma Over Organ Sales <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2008/7/26/columnists/insightdownsouth/21916683&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
For many, the idea of people selling their kidneys is disgusting. To them it is an ethics issue.
However to the large numbers of kidney sufferers and their loved ones, it is survival.

**** Accused Reporter Peter Lloyd Steps Out In Public <http://www.news.com.au/mercury/story/0,22884,24074924-401,00.html>
by Lisa Davies, The Mercury
In his first appearance in public since his arrest last week, there was no evidence of the ebullient on-air persona that Aunty's viewers know so well.

**** Temasek Continues To Hold 87 Million Merrill Lynch Shares Sources <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200807250413DOWJONESDJONLINE000386_FORTUNE5.htm>
by Dow Jones
Singapore state investment company Temasek Holdings Pte. Ltd. continues to hold 87 million shares in Merrill Lynch &amp; Co., nearly the entire stake it purchased in December 2007, two people familiar with the matter said Friday.
An online article dated Thursday stating that Temasek had sold 87 million shares is erroneous, the people told Dow Jones Newswires.

**** PSC, A*STAR Clarify Scholarship Policies Following Philip Yeo Remarks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/362844/1/.html>
by Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia
The Public Service Commission (PSC) said all government scholarships, including those awarded by the Public Service Commission and Agency for Science, Technology and Research (A*STAR), are awarded strictly on merit, regardless of family background.