[MyAppleMenu] Jul 25, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Jul 25 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Bugs &amp; Fixes: Dealing With iPhone App Bugs And Crashes <http://www.macworld.com/article/134686/2008/07/0725bugsnfixes.html>
by Ted Landau, Macworld
Here's a primer on how to navigate your way out of app trouble.

**** Peeking Inside The iPhone <http://www.forbes.com/home/2008/07/24/mitra-inside-iphone-tech-enter-cx_sm_0725mitra.html>
by Sramana Mitra, Forbes
Apple has the entire semiconductor industry wrapped around its little finger.

**** MetaX 2.4.5 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134205/2008/07/metax2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld
It's an invaluable tool if you plan to put your DVD collection on your Apple TV.

**** Apple Fails To Patch Critical Exploited DNS Flaw <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9706>
by Rich Mogull, TidBITS
Apple has not yet provided a patch, unlike dozens of other companies that make or distribute operating systems or DNS server software.

**** Making The Transition From PC To Mac <http://blog.craigdossantos.com/2008/07/24/making-the-transition-from-pc-to-mac/>
by Craig dos Santos, A Search For (My) Life
I've been a Windows user my entire life, and some old habits die hard.

**** Time To Spend Spend Spend
by Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu
When your OS stinks, you go buy a new OS. (And perhaps a CEO or two.)
When your online strategy stinks, do you go buy Google?
(Is MobileMe such core to Apple's strategy that they have to build it themselves?)

**** Introducing The Anti-iPhone <http://www.rabble.ca/news_full_story.shtml?x=73765>
by Wayne MacPhail, Rabble
I mean, God love open source folks. Their hearts are int he right place but, man, a lot of open source software is the worst looking, unusable junk I've ever seen this side of a Microsoft WIndows ME hack-a-thon.
/I'm more or less convinced that UI design is not compatible with wisdom-of-the-crowd. Just like you typically don't see good movies directed or written by a committee./

**** Apple's MobileMe: The Medium Is The Mess <http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2008/07/apples_mobileme_the_medium_is.html>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
What's both sad and, perhaps, ultimately encouraging is that Apple and its users have been through this before.

**** Aurora Feint iPhone App Delisted For Lousy Security Practices <http://gizmodo.com/5028459/aurora-feint-iphone-app-delisted-for-lousy-security-practices>
by Gizmodo
According to their forums, if you opt-in to the community feature, Aurora Feint looks through your contact list, sends in /unencrypted/ to their servers, and matches you up with your friends who are currently playing right now.

**** Virginia Tech Building Supercomputer Out Of 324 Mac Pros <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/24/virginia-tech-building-supercomputer-out-of-324-mac-pros>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica
Virginia Tech's Center for High-End Computing System is building a new cluster, this time using 324 Mac Pro towers, that will have a theoretical computing capacity of 29 teraflops.

**** Apple's MobileMess <http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/07/24/apples-mobilemess/>
by David Pogue, New York Times
The real problem is how Apple is responding. For a company that's so brilliant at marketing, it seems to have absolutely no clue about crisis management.

**** iPhone Developers Have A Way To Run (Small) Beta Programs <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/24/iphone-developers-have-a-way-to-run-small-beta-programs>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica
The ad hor method allows any developer to authorize up to 100 iPhones to run an application without going through the App Store.

**** Steve Jobs Gassing Up The Gulfstream Again <http://www.alleyinsider.com/2008/7/steve-jobs-gassing-up-the-gulfstream-again>
by Peter Kafka, Silicon Alley Insider
Perhaps he's been jetting off to China and/or Russia, where Apple still doesn't have iPhne deals with carriers.

**** Neil Young Takes On The iPod <http://techland.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/07/23/neil-young-takes-on-the-ipod/>
by Michal Lev-Ram, Fortune
In the iPod age, music sound quality has been dumbed down to "Fisher-Price toy" levels, rock star and tech enthuisast Neil Young said Wednesday.

**** Review: OmniFocus For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/134678/2008/07/omnifoucs_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
If you seek a powerful (though sometimes challenging) mobile applcation for creating action items and orgnizing them within contexts and project&mdash;and one that also acts as an extension of an even more powerful desktop application&mdash;OmniFocus for the iPhone can clearly help you get that done.

**** Not So Fast, 3G <http://www.macworld.com/article/134673/2008/07/3g_notsofast.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld
We wanted to look a little further into the matter and find out if the iPhone 3G really twice is as fast as its predecessor.

**** Review: Final Cut Server 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134657/2008/07/finalcutserver11.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Mike Curtis, Macworld
Advanced asset management and workflow software for video content creators.

**** Jumsoft Releases Personal Finance Tool, Money 3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134660/2008/07/money.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Tim O'Reilly: Internet Innovation Requires An Open Web <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080725-tim-oreilly-internet-innovation-requires-an-open-web.html>
by Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

**** Web Integration On A Grander Scale <http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/columns/stopthepresses_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003831535>
by Steve Outing, Editor And Publisher
We've reached a point where we have to go beyond user comments as the sole means of interaction on news articles.

**** Prowling In The Land Of Unequal Opportunity <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/25/books/25book.html>
by Richard Eder, New York Times
The point is that the best of the pieces are something quite different from journalism. They are small absurdist gems.

**** Buy Shanghai! <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/07/21/080721fa_fact_marx>
by Patricia Marx, New Yorker
A city for sale.

**** To Starbucks, A Closing; To Newark, A Trauma <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/23/nyregion/23starbucks.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Kareem Fahim, New York Times
The green aprons, the blond wood, the safari-themed coffee art and the chalkboards. From Chula Vista, Calif., to Bangor, Me., all Starbucks are more or less the same. And that's how the company wants it.
But every store, as it turns out, is not quite the same.

**** The Balcony Is Closed <http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2008/07/the-balcony-is-closed.html>
by Roger Ebert, Chicaco Sun-Times
I remember what Gene said to me in that dressing room before the Carson Show: "Roger, we're a couple of kids from the Midwest. We don't belong here."

**** Singapore Says It Doesn't Take New Position On Pulau Batu Puteh <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=348555>
by Zakaria Abdul Wahab, Bernama
Singapore said Friday that it did not take a new position when senior minister of state for foreign affairs Balaji Sadasivan responded to questions by members of Parliament about Batu Puteh on Monday.
The foreign affairs ministry said Singapore first stated its claim to a territorial sea limit that extended up to a maximum of 12 nautical miles and an exclusive economic zone in the ministry's press statement on Sept 15, 1980.
This was reiterated in another press statement by the ministry on May 23 this year following the International Court of Justice judgment on sovereignty over Pedra Branca (Batu Puteh) and Middle Rocks, it said in a clarification to media queries on the issue.

**** Why Clear My Dirty Dishes? It's The Cleaners' Job <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_261297.html>
by Elizabeth Wilmot, Straits Times
An effort to get patrons at a food court to return their trays has had dismal results so far.
/Maybe some monetary reward will help move things along, eh?/

**** SMRT Posts 6.2% Increase In Net Profit For Q1 FY209 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/362804/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
SMRT said it saw increased ridership on its commuter trains, but its bus and taxi operations were hurt by rising fuel costs.

**** Government To Announce Details Of Changi Airport Corporatisation Soon <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/362733/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The corporatisation of Changi Airport is imminent, with details to be announced soon, said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong at the official opening of Changi Airport's Terminal 3 on Friday.

**** Inflation Brakes Asian Construction <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/3d5b8166-599c-11dd-90f8-000077b07658.html>
by Raphael Minder, Financial Times
Asian governments, faced with the highest inflation for a decade or more, are shelving billions of dollars worth of landmark infrastructure projects and shifting funds to more immediate economic assistance.

**** Kudos For Malay-Language TV Programmes Here <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/266988.asp>
by Today
"Even as broadcasters strive... to remain competitive... a balance should be struck betweens taying commercially viable and fulfilling their social role."