[MyAppleMenu] Jul 9, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Jul 9 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Rumour Control - Apple Versus Rogers <http://krisabel.ctv.ca/blog/_archives/2008/7/8/3783146.html>
by Kris Abel, CTV
Enjoy the crazy rumours for their entertainment valu, but please don't be so quick to take them seriously.

**** Fifth Avenue Closing On 10Th; App Store Up Early? <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/09/fifth.avenue.app.store/>
by MacNN
Apple's flagship American store, the Fifth Avenue location in New York City, will temporarily close on July 10th, Apple has announced.

**** The Day My MacBook Died <http://www.geek.com/the-day-my-macbook-died-20080709/>
by Joel Evans, Geek.com
That was it. No commotion, no negotiation, just calm, cool, and confident. I felt reassured that my MacBook would come back soon and now I wait for its arrival. What I really do find most amazing is how I honestly felt like the Apple employees were just as upset as I was that my MacBook wasn't working.

**** Name Mangler 2.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/134027/2008/07/namemangler2.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
If you've got a bunch of files that need renaming, Many Tricks' Name Nalger 2.0 is my favorite tool to use.

**** AT&amp;T Lays Down The Law For Apple <http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2008/07/ahead_of_the_cu_9.html>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
For better or worse, carriers run the wireless game, and nothing can move faster than they want it to.

**** Mac Vs. Windows Laptops <http://www.pcworld.com/article/148032/mac_vs_windows_laptops.html>
by James A. Martin, PC World
Don't buy into the old argument that Mac laptops are categorically mre expensive than Windows machines. Sometimes that's true&mdash;but they're often on par with, or cost less than, their closest Windows laptop equivalents.

**** iPhone Line Forms In Japan At Softbank Flagship Store <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/09/iphone.line.forms.in.japan/>
by MacNN

**** Refresh Your Mac <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2324613,00.asp>
by Logan Kugler, PC Magazine
This simpel process will revitalize your Mac, bringing back the zippy performance it displayed on day one.

**** Apple Expects 15-Minute Setup Process For New iPhone <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aeTd0fpiTAFY&refer=home>
by Connie Guglielmo, Bloomberg
Apple Inc. will start selling its new iPHone at 8 a.m. nationwide on July 11 and plans to activate U.S. customer accounts with AT&amp;T Inc. within 15 minutes.

**** Newer, Faster, Cheaper iPhone 3G <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20080708/newer-faster-cheaper-iphone-3g/>
by Walter S. Mossberg, AllThingsD
If you've been waiting to buy an iPhone until it dropped in price, or ran on faster cell networks, you might want to take the plunge, if you can live with the higher service costs and the weaker battery life.

**** For iPhone, The 'New' Is Relative <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/09/technology/personaltech/09pogue.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin>
by David Pogue, New York Times
It's not so much better that it turns all those original iPhones into has-beens. Indeed, the really big deal is the iPhone 2.0 software and the App Store, neither of which requires buying a new iPhone.

**** Apple's New iPhone 3G: Still Not Perfect, But Really Close <http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columnist/edwardbaig/2008-07-08-iphone-3g-review_N.htm>
by Edward C. Baig, USA Today
It's cheaper, faster and a lot friendlier for business. Apple's blockbuster smartphone already had nifty features such as visual voicemail, a splendid built-in video iPod and the best mobile web browser I've ever used. With GPS newly added to the mix, this handheld marvel has no equal among consumer-oriented smartphones.

**** Live From Abbey Road: Recording History <http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/action/abbeyroad/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Jonny Evans, Apple
What's key is that Live From Abbey Road's relatively small seven-person core production unit can manage to film, edit, colour correct and export the entire show using one set of tools.

**** Only U.S. Apple Retail Stores Getting iPhone 3G <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-9985584-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=OneMoreThing>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
If you want an iPhone 3G outside of the U.S., you won't find one at the Apple store.

**** Apple Just Gave Out My Apple ID Password Because Someone Asked <http://blog.karppinen.fi/2008/07/apple-just-gave-out-my-apple-i.html>
by Marko Karppinen, MK&amp;C

**** Apple May Have Shipped 2.5 Million Macs In Spring Thanks To Vista <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/08/apple_may_have_shipped_2_5_million_macs_in_spring_thanks_to_vista.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider
The poor reception of Windows Vista, along with a strong Mac OS X, will help Apple continue to ship Macs at three times the industry average by the end of spring, according to BMO Capital Markets.

**** Freeverse Releasing More Than A Dozen iPhone Games <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/08/freeverse.12.iphone.games/>
by MacNN

**** No iPhones For Canadian Apple Stores? <http://www.macworld.com/article/134342/2008/07/noiphone_canada.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** REALbasic 2008 Release 3 Ships <http://www.macworld.com/article/134341/2008/07/realbasic.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** O2: Apple To Blame For iPhone 3G Ordering Woes <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/08/o2.vs.apple.on.3g.supply/>
by MacNN
"We have been working continously with <Apple> to get as much stock for the UK as possible," says O2 sales director Steve Shurrock. "Unfotunately, they have only been able to supply a small proportion of the number of phones we asked for, because they are launching simultaneously in 22 countries."

**** Plat'Home Launches Coffee-Cup-Sized Linux Network Box <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13846_3-9986147-62.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Dave Rosenberg, CNET News.com
Plat'Hoe claims that their devices "can be installed in minutes." And because of their small size, offices without server rooms &mdash; or server rooms that are overcrowded &mdash; can easily use them.

**** Web Must Stay Open, Says Web Inventor <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21941>
by Computerworld UK
Government, business and academics must do more to ensure the web remains an open platform, says Sir Tim Berners Lee, the founder of the world wide web.

**** You Are Not Reading Enough <http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2008/07/09/notes070908.DTL>
by Mark Morford, San Francisco Chronicle
Has the internet killed the joys of sitting down with a good book?

**** Train In Vain <http://www.goodmagazine.com/section/Features/train_in_vain>
by Ben Jervey, Good
Europe and Asia have figured it out, so why is the American rail system still so unspeakably awful?

**** Great American Pyro <http://www.slate.com/id/2194999/?from=rss>
by Bruce Reed, Slate
Here in the District, we couldn't shoot off firecrackers over the Fourth because they're too dangerous, but we can now keep a loaded pistol by our bedside, ready to shoot down prowlers in self-defense.

**** Malaysia Not Threatened By Singapore's Purchase Of Jetfighters - Air Force Chief <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=345057>
by Bernama

**** Singapore Government Dismisses Human Rights Allegations In IBA Report <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_256242.html>
by Irene Ngoo, Straits Times
The Singapore government, responding to human rights allegations by an international association of lawyers, on Wednesday dismissed them as without substance and feeble. The Singapore government said the association did not justify its 'grave allegation' of bias with evidence, and slammed its statement as 'a feeble justification'.

**** Singapore's Minister Mentor Slips Up Under Oath <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1316&Itemid=31>
by Asia Sentinel
It was the kind of error that would earn a Singapore opposition politician a trial for perjury, probably with a heavy fine and perhaps a jail term. But when Lee Kuan Yew testified in the recent trial of opposition leader Chee Soon Juan probably "misspoke" - told a crucial untruth, deliberate or not.

**** Singapore Falls Short On Rights: Lawyers' Group <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5ieSWT6VcrvWzs38GxJ-IF3IYHf_w>
by AFP
Despite its impressive economic development, Singapore fails to meet international standards for political and human rights and there are concerns about the independence of its judiciary, an association of lawyers said.

**** Regulate, Not Ban, The Sale Of Human Organs <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-902.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
The problem isn't what to do about organ trading. The problem is why poverty and inequality are so severe.

**** Singapore Cracked Up! <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2008/07/singapore-cracked-up.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

**** Higher ERP And More Gantries... <http://leelilian.blogspot.com/2008/07/higher-erp-and-more-gantries.html>
by Lee Lilian, The Itch To Write
Aren't taxis public transport? Why make it so difficult for this group of Singaporeans to make a living?
/On a macro level, taxi is simply not an efficient public transport, compared to buses and trains. If one taxi journey makes the same level of congestion as a private car, then the congestion tax should be the same./
/The government shouldn't have any obligations to make sure taxi drivers can make a living. The obligation by the government should be that if taxi drivers want to switch career, there are jobs waiting for them./