[MyAppleMenu] Jul 8, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Jul 8 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Apple Expo 2007 Dates Announced For September <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/07/08/apple-expo-2008-dates-announced-for-september>
by Jeff Smykil, Ars Technica
This year's Apple Expo is once again being held across the pond in Paris at the Porte de Versailles. While Apple will no longer be attending, big names like Microsoft, Epson, Nike, Mini, and Kensington will be.
/Conference organisers have to be ready for two potential changes: Apple will withdraw from all trade shows, and Apple may well organize its own trade show. (It already does WWDC successfully.)/

**** Japan To Get 3G iPhone From 7 AM On Friday <http://www.macworld.com/article/134327/2008/07/iphonejapan.html>
by Martyn Williams, Macworld
On Friday the iPhone will go on sale in more than 70 countries (sic). New Zealand is likely to see the first launch followed by Australia an then Japan.
/No, the majority of the 70 countries will not have iPhone this week./

**** Browser Security: IE Vs Safari Vs Firefox <http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/secu/article.php/3757531/Browser+Security:+IE+vs.+Safari+vs.+Firefox.htm>
by Kenneth van Wyk, Datamation
Although Safari has been losing pretty pathetically in my other categories here, its integration with OS X is a work of genius.

**** MobileMe Steals Live Mesh Thunder <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/07/08/mobileme_live_mesh/>
by Tim Anderson, The Register
MobileMe is a lesser thing in concept, but if it works as promised, it will deliver more value sooner for individuals.

**** Keep Track Of Your Stuff The Easy Way <http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/tech/drmac/5876275.html>
by Bob LeVitus, Houston Chronicle
When you consider all the time you'll save, and all the items you won't be losing, Delicious Library 2 is a bargain.

**** Id Software CEO Speaks On Apple And Gaming <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?newsid=21931&pagtype=allchandate>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Hollenshead explains he's seeing Apple make a much bigger investment in the gaming sector, and observes the appearance of developers from Electronic Arts and Id Software at WWDC 2007.

**** Secrets Of The Mac Trackpad, From iBook To MacBook Air <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9105438&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld
While almost anyone who has ever used a laptop knows the basics of using a trackpad as a pointing device, not everyone knows about all the features that Apple has added to its trackpads over the years.

**** Pimp My Code, Part 15: The Greatest Bug Of All <http://wilshipley.com/blog/2008/07/pimp-my-code-part-15-greatest-bug-of.html>
by Wil Shipley, Call Me Fishmeal
It's a bug we should have caught. We should have spent the time to get the images in the 10,000 item file. I messed up.
Software is written by human. Humans get tired. Humans become discouraged. They aren't perfect beings. As developers, we want to pretend this isn't so, that our software springs from our head whole and immaculate like the goddess Athena. Customers don't want to hear us admit that we fail.

**** Apple-Rogers Falling Out: A Story Too Good To Be True? <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/07/07/apple-rogers-falling-out-a-story-too-good-to-be-true/>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune

**** MobileMe Launching On July 9Th Between 6PM-12AM PT <http://www.macrumors.com/2008/07/07/mobileme-launching-on-july-9th-between-6pm-12am-pt/>
by Arnold Kim, MacRumors.com
Apple has announced the launch date and time for their MobileMe service.

**** Under The Hood: The iPhone's Gaming Mettle <http://toucharcade.com/2008/07/07/under-the-hood-the-iphones-gaming-mettle/>
by Touch Arcade
What gear gives the iPhone its game?

**** Frenzied Demand For Apple's New 3G iPhone <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jul/07/new.iphone>
by Richard Wray, The Guardian
Demand for the new 3G version of the iPhone has outstripped supply, and O2, Apple's exclusive UK mobile phone partner, says it has run out of stock for customers wanting to pre-order the device before it goes on general release on Friday.

**** Apple Stores To Open At 8.00 AM Friday For iPhone 3G Launch <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/07/07/apple_stores_to_open_at_800_a_m_friday_for_iphone_3g_launch.html>
by AppleInsider
US-based Apple retail stores will join those of AT&amp;T by opening at 8.00 a.m. local time on Friday, July 11th, to usher in the new iPhone 3G, the company said Monday.

**** Woe, Canada <http://www.macworld.com/article/134320/2008/07/canada_iphone.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Don't let the suits fool you, they are trying to rob me blind.

**** The Tyranny Of "Free" <http://www.macuser.com/software/the_tyranny_of_free.php>
by Dan Moren, MacUser
This is economics at its most basic. Seriously. It doesn't get any more basic than this.

**** Butterflies Are Free, So Why Aren't iPhone Apps? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13509_3-9984637-20.html>
by The Macalope, CNET News.com
The Macalope keeps hearing from so-claled analysts how the future will be ruled by ad-based software services that everyone will love because they'll be "free!" (with ads!). Personally, he thinks you can keep your Buy n Large future. He's happy to pay for a better user experience.
/Somewhere, in a retirement home, a young Bill Gates is smiling./

**** Six Of The Best: Mac OS X Menu Extras <http://cultofmac.com/six-of-the-best-mac-os-x-menu-extras/2234>
by Craig Grannell, Cult Of Mac
We present our favorites from the slew of apps vying for a place in your menu bar.

**** Media Catalog 4.0 Adds Quick Look Support To Indexing App <http://www.macworld.com/article/134321/2008/07/mediacatalog4.html>
by James Wickboldt, Macworld
Developer Robert Kuilman updated Media Catalog Monday, adding drag support and Quick Look features to the media indexing application.

**** Committee Calls For More Content For Elderly, Children In Chinese TV Shows <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/358835/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Advisory Committee for Chinese Programmes wants to see more content for the elderly and children, and fewer commericalised variety shows and dramas capitalising on inappropriate themes.

**** Sequence Ships For Mac OS X <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=21916>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
App4mac has introduced Sequence for Mac OS X, a tool with which to capture and save an image or a movie of your screen to your computer.

**** Europa Universalis: Rome Game Ships For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/134304/2008/07/eurome.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
A turn-based strategy game, Europa Universalis: Rome puts players in the role of the leader of a Mediterranean civilization during the era from the first Punic War through to the start of the true Roman empire.

**** Add-On Brings Inline PDFs To Firefox 3 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/08/07/07/firefox.mac.pdf.add.on/>
by MacNN
Google Code project owner 'Colesbury' has released FIrefox Mac Plugin. Based on the PDFKit in Cocoa, the open-source Mac-PDF plugin allows users to view full .PDF documents within the browser itself.

**** They Don't All Really Need Laptops, Do They? <http://education.zdnet.com/?p=1763>
by Christopher Dawson, ZDNet.com
Shared rooms and roaming teachers require portable computing and the stereotypical smoke-filled teachers' lounge is now a place for staff to ongregate with their laptops and prepare materials and curriculum together.

**** Why You'll Have A Long Wait For Microsoft's Next OS <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=486>
by Ed Bott, ZDNet.com
If we look at Midori as Windows NNT, it has the potential to coexist alongside the Windows Vista/Windows 7/Server 2008 line for at least five years.

**** Wall Street Keeps Cautious Eye On Yahoo <http://news.cnet.com/8301-10784_3-9984743-7.html>
by Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com

**** In The Fourth Grade <http://www.slate.com/id/2188049/?from=rss>
by Charles Grosel, Slate

**** Lens Magic <http://www.wordplayer.com/columns/wp46.Lens.Magic.html>
by Terry Rossio, Wordplay
For 11 years, every day, I had been unknowingly staring at the future main set of the film I would someday co-write, Priates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl.
Did that give you a chill?

**** The Keepers Of The Moon <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/08/science/space/08moon.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Guy Gugliotta, New York Times
In the lab, the Moon rocks look nondescript &mdash; dark gray basalt, a whitish mineral called anorthosite and mixtures of the two with crystals thrown in. Yet nearly 40 years after the Apollo astronauts brought the first rocks back to Earth, these pieces of the Moon are still providing scientists with new secrets from another world.

**** Dan Neil On New Ways To Die In Style <http://www.latimes.com/features/magazine/tm-800words07,0,3879297.story?track=rss>
by Dan Neil, Los Angeles Times
If you're not interested in a traditional American burial, no problem. There are so many other ways to go.

**** How Disasters Help <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/07/06/how_disasters_help/?page=full>
by Drake Bennett, Boston Globe
Natural disasters can give a boost to the countries where they occur - and sometimes, the more the better.

**** Gopalan Nair Trial Set For Sept 8 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Courts%2Band%2BCrime/STIStory_255840.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

**** Malaysia, Singapore Discuss Malaysian Workers' Safety Issues <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=344830>
by Bernama
Minister of human resources Datuk Dr S. Subramaniam said he had proposed that the employment-related agencies in both countries cooperate closely so that the safety of Malaysian workers could be better protected.

**** Peranakan Museum A Hit Among Singaporeans <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=344839>
by Bernama

**** Singapore And Israel Eye Buying Lockheed Fighter <http://uk.reuters.com/article/UK_SMALLCAPSRPT/idUKN0744095420080707>
by Jim Wolf, Reuters
Singapore has shown interest in possibly buying up to 100 of Lockheed Martin Corp's F-35 Joint Strike Fighter aircraft over coming decades, matching Israel's tentative plans, the general in charge of the program for the Pentagon said on Monday.

**** Improving Thai-Singaporean Relations At The People Level <http://nationmultimedia.com/2008/07/08/opinion/opinion_30077545.php>
by Pavin Chachavalpongpun, The Nation
What went wrong was that Singapore simply overlooked the mounting importance of pluralism in Thailand. Both Singapore and Temasek need to do more homework on the reality and nature of Thai politics.

**** Young And Old In Singapore Want More Political Openness <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/07/young-and-old-in-spore-want-more-political-openness/>
by Gerald Giam, The Online Citizen

**** Your Profile Has Broken Rules Of Use <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,170181,00.html?>
by Liew Hanqing, New Paper

**** 7Th Storey: No Other Choice <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/263777.asp>
by Geoffrey Lim, Land Transport Authority, and Andrew David Fassam, Urban Redevelopment Authority, Today
The tunnels of Downtown Line 1 (DTL1) have to swing clear of the Rochor Flyover foundations. Second, the current Bugis Station is built on a diaphragm-walled foundation comprising deep and heavily-reinforced concrete walls. This limits the locations the DTL1 tunnels can pass below without compromising the existing station's foundations.