[MyAppleMenu] Feb 29, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Feb 29 13:15:01 EST 2008

**** Apple: It's Business, It's Business Time <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9881165-37.html?tag=nefd.pop>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Next week Apple plans to show off some "exciting new enterprise" features for the iPhone, which will presumably make it easier for those of us who can't push the CIO around to use our iPhones as tools for work.
/Will there also be a re-purposed iPod touch &mdash; for those areas where the phone is not available &mdash; for the business people too?/

**** Time Capsule Ships Networked Backup In Single Case <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9479>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

**** Apple: All Signs Point To A More Business Friendly iPhone <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8104>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet.com

**** I'm The Idiot Who Bought An HD-DVD Player <http://www.slate.com/id/2185365/?from=rss>
by Josh Levin, Slate
A casulaty of the format war tells all.

**** Microsoft President On Micro-Hoo: We Can Do It <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/22/microsoft-president-on-micro-hoo-we-can-do-it/index.html?ex=1361509200&en=93bc363e762e1d1f&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Miguel Helft, New York Times
We can do it. We can mesh our technologies and our cultures. And we'll keep the Yahoo name alive.

**** Taking Over The Family Business <http://nymag.com/news/features/44459/>
by Justin Davidson, New York Magazine
Born to two New York Philharmonic violinists, Alan Gilbert will soon pick up its baton. Which is good news, because it may take one of the orchestra's own to launch the revolution it needs.

**** Of Airports And Demonstrations <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-846.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
It was, as usual, a story that faithfully recorded what the minister said in answer to Eunice Olsen's question in parliament and no more.

**** Terrorists, Bankrupts And Politicians <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/180119.html>
by Mollymeek
Chee Soon Juan stopped, Richard Yong got through. Chia Thye Poh securely detained for decades, Mas Selamat Kastari escaped.

**** The Great Escape <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2008/02/great-escape.html>
by Mr Wang Says So
To think that we pay the world's highest ministerial salaries to our political leaders. Wong Kan Seng is paid two million dollars per year and he cannot even keep an arrested man under proper lock and key.

**** MediaCorp To Launch Dedicated TV Channels For Indian Community And Children <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/331935/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
MediaCorp will be launching in the 4th quarter of 2008, dedicated television channels for the Indian community and children.
/The final 'official language' in Singapore to get its own dedicated taxpayer-sponsored free-to-air television channel./

**** Smoking Ban To Be Extended To More Areas From January 2009 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/332003/1/.html>
by Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia
The smoking ban will be extended to more areas next year. From 1 January 2009, it will be an offence to smoke in all children's playgrounds, exercise areas and markets.
/I'm waiting for the day when smoking is prohibited totally in Singapore, except destinated areas, preferably enclosed and segarated./

**** HDB Unveils 'Income For Life' Scheme For The Elderly <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_211493.html>
by Jessica Cheam, Straits Times
HDB will buy back the tail-end of a flat lease at market valuation, leaving a 30-year lease for the household. The scheme will be available only to 25,000 low-income households in Singapore.

**** Singapore, Facing EU Pressure, Says Not A Tax Haven <http://www.guardian.co.uk/feedarticle?id=7343750>
by Jan Dahinten, Reuters
Singapore said on Thursday it was not a tax haven but a low-tax country and that there were no parallels between it and Liechtenstein, where rich EUropeans have been dodging tax through secret bank accounts.