[MyAppleMenu] Feb 4, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Feb 4 13:15:02 EST 2008

**** Apple Store Beijing Location Confirmed? <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20333>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** App4mac Releases CheckUp 1.0 <http://www.macworld.com/article/131935/2008/02/checkup.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld
CheckUp 1.0 helps you check the behavior of a Mac either locally or remotely over a network.

**** Paperclip Lets You Attach Notes To Documents <http://www.macworld.com/article/131936/2008/02/paperclip.html>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

>From Concentrate Software has announced the release of Paperclip 1.0, a new application that lets you attach "Stickies"-style notes to your documents.

**** Thin Is In: Ars Technica Reviews The MacBook Air <http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook-air-review.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
The MacBook Air is the only super-thin notebook that (legally) runs Mac OS X, and we feel that Apple did a decent job at figuring out how its users would use such a computer.

**** A Mac Ad You'll Never See: How A Columnist's Transition To Apple Hit A Snag Almost Before It Got Started <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120172199374929447.html?mod=googlenews_wsj>
by Jason Fry, Wall Street Journal
I saw all the ads and read about all the neat products and I read my own columns, and so finally I switched. And then three weeks later I'm lugging a busted iMac around Soho. I was just so disappointed.

**** Party Like It's 2005 <http://www.evilgeniuschronicles.org/wordpress/2008/02/03/party-like-its-2005/>
by Dave Slusher, Evil Genius Chronicles
Later this afternoon, I'm planning on upgrading to Mac OS X 10.4. That isn't a typo.

**** Net Neutrality's Not Anti-property, It's About Our Property <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080203-net-neutralitys-not-anti-property-its-about-our-property.html>
by Ken Fisher, Ars Technica

**** Eureka! It Really Takes Years Of Hard Work <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/business/03unbox.html?ex=1359694800&en=f4683ee31631aadc&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Janet Rae-Dupree, New York Times
Epiphany has little to do with either creativity or innovation. Instead, innovation is a slow process of accretion, building small insight upon interesting fact upon tried-and-true process.

**** Google Offers To Help Yahoo Fight Off Microsoft <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120206856800138831.html>
by Kevin J. Delaney and Matthew Karnitschnig, Wall Street Journal
Google Inc. chief executive Eric Schmidt called Yahoo Inc. CEO Jerry Yang to offer his company's help in any effort to thwart Microsoft Corp.'s unsolicited $44.6 billion bid for Yahoo, say people familiar with the matter.

**** Microsoft's Inner Thoughts On Online Advertising <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/microsofts-inner-thoughts-on-online-advertising/?hp>
by Louise Story, New York Times
In December, I got my hands on three confidential documents that Microsoft used in its lobbying against the Google-DoubleClick deal. Re-reading those documents now show that Microsoft was clear with the Federal Trade Commission that an approval of Google-DoubleClick might lead it to take drastic action&mdash;like it is doing now with its bid for Yahoo.

**** The Magic Kingdom <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/02/11/080211po_poem_graber>
by Kathleen Graber, New Yorker

**** Free Radicals <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/02/11/080211fi_fiction_munro>
by Alice Munro, New Yorker

**** The Man Who Loved Money <http://www.salon.com/books/review/2008/02/04/millet/>
by Laura Miller, Salon
Witness the sentimental education of an Information Age Everyman &mdash; and his salvation &mdash; in Lydia Millet's beautiful new novel.

**** Are The Planned Bus And Rail Improvements Enough? <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-836.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
The desire to see public transport as purely commercial enterprises has led the government to forget the social aims that should be served. Underinvestment is now bearing political costs.

**** Leaving Singapore For Pinker Shores <http://www.yawningbread.org/guest_2008/guw-148.htm>
by Jason Pathera, Yawning Bread
If the discrimination against homosexuals enshrined in government policy changes, I will seriously consider returning. Otherise, I know that there are other shores that are more appreciative and welcoming.

**** Reckless Cyclist Hits Mother While She Is Carrying Her Baby Daughter <http://www.osbmx.com/2008/02/reckless-cyclist-hits-mother-while.html>
by Singapore BMX
I hope that bastard that did that cowardly thing gets his just desserts.

**** 590 HDB Blocks To Be Upgraded Islandwide <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_203341.html>
by Tan Hui Yee, Straits Times
See Also:<br/>Fifty-Eight Sites Selected For HDB Upgrading <http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10296p.nsf/PressReleases/D0835C87E519035F482573E5000A126B?OpenDocument>, by HDB, Singapore Government.

**** Singapore Wealth Fund Takes The Long View <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e70b862-d2c3-11dc-8636-0000779fd2ac.html>
by Peter Thal Larsen and Martin Dickson, Financial Times

**** Singapore PM Sees Five Percent Or More Inflation <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5h6yzfKOBz_tUSp28kXihOF-ZAnbw>
by AFP
Signapore's inflation rate could exceed five percent this year, the prime minister was qouted as saying on Monday. He said that while the budget, to be delivered on February 15, will offer something for the poor and elderly, "We cannot just distribute money and make the problem go away."

**** Myanmar Expats Raise Rambo Battle-Cry In Singapore <http://in.reuters.com/article/entertainmentNews/idINIndia-31753920080204>
by Gillian Murdoch, Reuters
The critics may have turned up their noses at the latest Rambo offering, but for 600 Myanmar nationals in Singpaore, the Vietnam War veteran's single-handed demolition of swathes of the Burmese army was a huge hit.

**** Lee Kuan Yew And Those Disllusioned Others <http://sourgrapesatsg.blogspot.com/2008/02/lee-kuan-yew-and-those-disillusioned.html>
by SOURgrAPESatSG

**** Lee Kuan Yew Reconsiders Population <http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2008/02/lee-kuan-yew-reconsiders-population.html>
by The Boy Who Knew Too Much
I don't know if minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew is aware of it, but Singapore's population density is already rather high, even compared to Hong Kong's.

**** Police Give Green Light For Skimpy Servers <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,155387,00.html?>
by Cara van Miriah, New Paper
Female employees at public entertainment outlets at the beach or at swimming pool shave been given the green light to wear bikinis at work. Male employees can now go topless. This applies to performers too.

**** Improvign Singapore's Public Transport System - A Commuter's Perspective <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/02/04/improving-singapores-public-transport-system-a-commuters-perspective/>
by Gerald Giam, theonlinecitizen