[MyAppleMenu] Feb 3, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Feb 3 13:15:00 EST 2008

**** MarsEdit: Helping The Personal Publishing Revolution <http://shawnblanc.net/2008/marsedit-review/>
by Shawn Blanc
I finally landed with MarsEdit as my preferred method for publishing. I think I made a pretty good choice too, because the more I use it the more I feel it's a Mac app which truly is out of this world.

**** An Online Organizer That Helps Connect The Dots <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/business/03novel.html?ex=1359694800&en=cc3d2d5c57aa2782&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Anne Eisenberg, New York Times
How often have you wasted time searching through page after page of e-mail messages, web sites, notes, news feeds and YouTube videos on your computer, trying to find an important item? If the answer is "too often," a San Francisco company, Radar Networks, is testing a free, web-based application, called Twine, that may provide some robotic secretarial help in organizing and retrieving documents.

**** Yahoo Offer Is Strategy Shift For Microsoft <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/02/technology/02soft.html?_r=1&ex=1359694800&en=c407bbf2504247c0&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Steve Lohr, New York Times
Microsoft's bid for Yahoo is a tacit, and difficult, admission that the company did not get its online business right. The bid also represents a sharp departure from Microsoft's well-thumbed playbook of building new businesses on its own.

**** The Internet Is The Social Network <http://www.buzzmachine.com/2008/02/02/the-internet-is-the-social-network/>
by Jeff Jarvis, BuzzMachine

**** Better Than Free <http://www.kk.org/thetechnium/archives/2008/01/better_than_fre.php>
by Kevin Kelly, The Technium
When copies are free, you need to sell things which can not be copied.

**** Return To Me <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/02/03/return_to_me/>
by Stacey Chase, Boston Globe
Last year's dramatic rescue of Shawn Hornbeck and Ben Ownby proved that missing children - even those gone for years - can be found. But it also serves as a grim reminder that many parents wait years, decades, lifetimes without ever learning the fate of daughters and sons who vanish.

**** A Language Too Beautiful To Lose <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-bk-treuer3feb03,0,6983731.story>
by David Treuer, Los Angeles Times
If the language dies, we will lose something personal, a degree of understanding that resides, for most fluent speakers, on some unconscious level.

**** A Fine Romance, My Friend, This Is <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/03/movies/03scot.html?_r=1&ref=arts&oref=slogin>
by A. O. Scott, New York Times
If it's February, you can be pretty sure that some pretty, plucky actress will be traipsing around some glamrous and photogenic American city (or its Canadian double) in search of hte dimple-chinned fellow who embodies her one true love.

**** StarHub Axes Seven More Analog Channels In Bid To Go Fully Digital <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_203117.html>
by Alfred Siew, Straits Times

**** Singapore's Food Inflation Remains Low By International Standards <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/326673/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
The trade and industry ministry said while Singapore is not spared from the general increase in global food prices, the survey of 14 countries from 2005 to 2007 showed Singapore had one of the lowest rates of food inflation for all three years. That is because Singapore's open and competitive environment kept food price increases less pronounced than for most countries.
/There is an "international standard"?/

**** National Lifelong Income Scheme To Take Effect In 2013 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/326650/1/.html>
by Dominique Loh, Channel NewsAsia
The National Lifelong Income Scheme will take effect in 2013, once approved by the government, said manpower minister Ng Eng Hen. This will allow Singaporeans to draw out monthly income from their CPF accounts from age 65 "for as long as they live".

**** Going On A Spending Spree For The Future <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2008/2/2/columnists/insightdownsouth/20195006&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
These huge investments at home and abroad are carried out with hard-earned savings built up &mdash; virtually brick by brick &mdash; over four decades. They should bear fruit in 10 years.

**** Mickey Grouse <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,155301,00.html?>
by Ho Lian-Yi, New Paper
Singporeans upset over Disney charcters in Chinese New Year Chinatown decorations.

**** A Reason To Complain <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-835.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
The long-term effect &mdash; and that's a reason to complain &mdash; would be to erode the credibility of the rule of law when the enforcers themselves start to behave in such inconstant and hypocritical ways.

**** More Cars, Accidents Lead To More Highway Jams <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_202992.html>
by Mavis Toh and Tan Dawn Wei, Straits Times
Crashes happen mainly on CTE and PIE because traffic volumes on these 2 expressways are highest.