[MyAppleMenu] Apr 14, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Apr 14 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Pimp My Mac Mini! <http://williammize.com/2008/04/14/pimp-my-mac-mini/>
by William Mize

**** OpenMac Advertised For $399.99 <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/04/14/openmac_advertised_for_39999.html>
by Jack Schofield, Guardian
Pystar is offering an OpenMac made of standard PC parts on its web site for $399.99 &mdash; and it's claimed to run the latest version of Mac OS X.
/So, someone is willing to play cat-and-mouse game with Apple? Will Apple brick this Macintosh in the next update?/

**** 3G iPhone: What We Know And What We Don't <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080413-3g-iphone-what-we-know-and-what-we-dont.html>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica
So, we know it's coming, but what else?

**** Steve Jobs Doesn't Wear A Belt <http://www.nathanaelwolfe.com/blog/?p=34>
by Nate's _Log.
He didn't need the help of that third-party apparatus. And then it all made sense.

**** Three OS X Quirks That Confuse The Hell Out Of Switchers <http://www.jetplanejournal.com/wordpress/2008/04/three-os-x-quirks-that-confuse-the-hell-out-of-switchers/>
by Adrian Thomas, The Jetplane Journal
1. DMG files and installing apps; 2. There's no right-click! 3. Where's my Home folder?

**** The Roadblocks To Apple's OS X Challenge To Vista <http://viewfromthemountain.typepad.com/applepeels/2008/04/the-roadblocks.html>
by Applepeels
Apple information just does not get to Windows users. They do not read Macsurfer, Digg, or almost anything else to do with computers.
/But, of course. It makes perfect sense for Mac users to be more informed about computer technology, because they choose not to go with what "everybody is using"./

**** Reluctantly Switching From Eudora To Apple Mail <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9564>
by Tonya Engst, TidBITS
Based on plaintive email I'm receiving, it seems that many people are reluctantly contemplating a switch away from Euroa to an email client that's more actively supported or that has a more modern interface. I wrote this article to share my difficulties in making the switch in hopes of improving the experience for those who may follow (or choose not to follow) in my path.

**** He Wrote 200,000 Books (But Computers Did Some Of The Work) <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/14/business/media/14link.html?_r=1&oref=slogin>
by Noam Cohen, New York Times
These are not conventional books, and it is perhaps more accurate to call Mr. Parker a compiler than an author. He has developed computer algorithms that collect publickly available information on a subject &mdash; broad or obscure &mdash; and, aided by his 60 to 70 computers and six or seven programmers, he turns the results into books in a range of genres, many of them in the range of 150 pages and printed only when a customer buys one.

**** Tigerland <http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2008/04/21/080421fa_fact_alexander>
by Caroline Alexander, New Yorker
A journey through the mangrove forest of Bengal.

**** The Repatriates <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/features/2008/04/21/080421fi_fiction_krasikov>
by Sana Krasikov, New Yorker

**** In Italy <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2008/04/21/080421po_poem_walcott>
by Derek Walcott, New Yorker

**** PAP's Co-Opting Strategy: Slowly Softly Surely <http://thesunshineson.wordpress.com/2008/04/14/paps-co-opting-strategy-slowly-softly-surely/>
by The Sun Shines On Singapore
The co-opting strategy shrinks the opposition's potential talent pool as well as legitimises the PAP and its supposed quests for reform.
/If PAP can convince its critics to accept and join the party, more power to it./

**** Video Games In Singapore To Carry Rating Classification By End-April <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/341370/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
A new two-rating classification system for video gams will be launched from 28 April.
See Also:
Singapore Rolls Out Game Classification System <http://www.gameaxis.com/home/?blog=2155>, by GameAxis.com. Interesting enough, the rating system comes into effect on April 28 - one day before the release of GTA IV.

**** Gahmen Still Knows Best <http://mollymeek.livejournal.com/186582.html>
by Mollymeek
There's something about the prime minister that makes me feel really, really irked whenever he says something.

**** Outstanding Work Of Security Agencies Should Not Be Overlooked: Jayakumar <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_227113.html>
by Straits Times
The escape of Jemaah Islamiah (JI) leader Mas Selamat Kastari has understandably resulted in public criticism of Singapore's security agencies.
But deputy prime minister S. Jayakumar on Monday cautioned against letting 'this one episode' overshadow an important fact: the 'truly outstanding work' of the Home Team and Internal Security Department (ISD) in having kept Singapore safe and secure over the years.

**** Longer Wait At Some Taxi Stands On City Fringe <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_226944.html>
by Maria Almenoar, Straits Times
The $3 city surcharge - added last December to taxi fares for rides starting in the city between 5pm and midngiht on weekdays and Saturdays - has drawn taxis into the city area.
The queues at shopping centres such as Ngee Ann City and Centrepoint, once a bane of commuters, have vanished. Instead, the queues have moved to the city fringe.

**** Farm Fun On Singapore Vacations <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_226937.html>
by Hong Xinyi, Straits Times
More farms going into agri-tainment for extra income.

**** No Way TV Mobile Sould Levels On Buses Are Comfortable <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_226855.html>
by Tan Chui Hua, Straits Times
Shouldn't a country whose society aspires to world class living for its citizens respect their privacy, preferences and hearing safety?

**** Tharman Urges Long-Term View <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/248290.asp>
by Dominique Loh, Today
Finanace minister Tharman Shanmugaratnam says Singapore has to be on its guard against inflation, as a lack of attention paid to the issue could undermine the country's growth.

**** Singapore May Lift Ban On Supplies Of Malaysian Pork <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/248285.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today
Almost a decade after Singapore banned the import of Malaysian pork; there is a possiblity that the authorities may now consider relaxing the restriction and bring in live pigs, with a resultant lowering of retail prices now at an average high of $18 a kg.
/Nothing to do with this news story, but I remembered eating and liking to eat pig blood in my yau tau foo. That's all./

**** PM Lee On Internet Lessons <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/248273.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
"If the People's Action Party wants to continue to have the support of the people, it has to maintain an incorruptible and capable government; continue to reflect the wishes of the people; and continue to strive for a better future for Singapore," said Mr Lee.
/I can't help but think that the major opposition gains in Malaysia politics is in fact an endorsement of the PAP government, as many of the points made by the opposition parites actually alligns with the mindset of the PAP, from anti-corruption, transparency, and meritocracy./