[MyAppleMenu] Apr 13, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Apr 13 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Now I'm Just Being Logical <http://edramseyonline.wordpress.com/2008/04/13/now-im-just-being-logical/>
by Ed Ramsey
I think the lure of inexpensive hardware, and the accumulated knowledge base of years of windows use mentally locked me in to a grove that I couldn't see, and couldn't move out of.

**** Swiss Interfce Syndrome <http://blog.cocoia.com/2008/04/12/swiss-interface-syndrome/>
by Sebastiaan de With, Cocoia Blog
The problem I want to address can be referred to as 'Swiss Interface Syndrome', and its symptoms extend tot he apparently randomly distributed presence of Max Miedinger and Eduard Hoffmann's 1957 typeface &mdash; Helvetica &mdash; in the graphical user interface.

**** At A Certain Age, Simplicity Sells In High-Tech Gadgets <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/12/technology/12shortcuts.html?ex=1365739200&en=21edca5edbc3a3db&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Alina Tugend, New York Times
Everything seems to be getting more diminutive and more complex just as I am getting older and slower.

**** When Tech Innovation Has A Social Mission <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/technology/13stream.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin>
by John Markoff, New York Times
A new style of "hybrid" technology organization is emerging that is trying to define a path between the nonprofit world and traditional for-profit ventures.

**** The Marathon They Almost Canceled <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/magazine/articles/2008/04/13/the_marathon_they_almost_canceled/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Globe+Magazine>
by Jon Marcus, Boston Globe
Ice. Wind. Sleet. Rain. Downed power lines. No-show volunteers. The minute-by-minute story of just how close organizers came ot calling off the 2007 Boston Marathon, something never done in the race's 111 years.

**** Roger Ebert, The Critic Behind The Thumb <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/movies/13scot.html?ex=1365739200&en=338e5d8d3c557a19&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by A. O. Scott, New York Times
THe plain-soken Midwestern clarity of Mr. Ebert's prose and his genial, conversational presence on the page may, in the end, make him a more useful and reliable companion for the dedicated moviegoer.

**** Faster, Higher, Stronger, No Longer <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/opinion/13bissinger.html?ex=1365739200&en=99fb3ac0a1959204&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Buzz Bissinger, New York Times
There is only one way left to improve the Olympics: to permanently end them.

**** China's Loyal Youth <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/13/opinion/13forney.html?ex=1365739200&en=7ce963464a28804c&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Matthew Forney, New York Times
Educated young Chinese, far from being embarrassed or upset by their government's human-rights record, rank among the most patriotic, establishment-supporting people you'll meet.

**** The Kingdom Of Never-To-Be <http://www.newcriterion.com/archives/26/04/the-kingdom-of-never-to-be/>
by Eric Ormsby, The New Criterion
Walter de la Mare was never a Poet of Importance. He made no prophecies, issued no manifestos. To the burning questions of the age he responded, if at all, only with dreamy silence. He was doggedly vauge. If he ever contemplated the Zeitgeist, he would probably have personalified it as "Herr Professor Zeitgeist" and included him, like "John Mouldy," in one of his riddling children's poems.

**** On The Menu: Pinching Portions <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/12/AR2008041201225.html?nav=rss_artsandliving>
by David Segal, Washington Post
In the last year, a few dozen chefs have come here to the test kitchen of Rastelli FOods, a wholesaler based near Philadelphia, in search of tips about how to trim portions &mdash; preferably in ways that diners won't notice.

**** Best Job In The World, Worst Job In The World. <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=514>
by Insane Polygons
The politicians, bureaucrats and scholar civil servants turned GLC bosses in Singapore has got probably the best jobs in the world. Job security, good renumeration and the privilege of never having to answer for anything. They take the lion's share of credits, accolades and rewards but when something goes wrong, it's always someone else's fault.
Best job in the world.

**** More People Join The Queue For Free Meals <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_226722.html>
by Jamie Ee Wen Wei and Aw Cheng Wei, Straits Times
Rising food prices have prompted more people to turn up at places serving free meals.
The organisers - religious and welfare groups - say they can cope with the demand for now, though some have noted a worrying drop in donations from sponsors.