[MyAppleMenu] Apr 11, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Apr 11 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Access Your Files Remotely With FarFinder <http://www.macworld.com/article/132950/2008/04/farfinder.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Corral Group Calendars <http://www.macworld.com/article/132876/2008/04/workingmac2505.html>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld
Coordinate family members' or colleagues' schedules with iCal 3.

**** Where Are Apple's High-End Gaming Macs? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1675>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet.com
I guess that the most obvious reason is that the Mac OS X platform isn't really all that cut out for gaming as of yet. However, Apple could bypass all these limitations and simply leverage Boot Camp.
/Please no! It seems &mdash; to me, anyway &mdash; that high-end gamers are migrating from Windows to Wii, XBox, and PlayStation. Windows is losing that game advantage. There's no reason to join the Windows game bandwagon now./

**** Apple's OS Edge Is A Threat To Microsoft <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/apr2008/tc20080410_206881.htm>
by Gary Morgenthaler, BusinessWeek
Windows users, in the very near future, will be free to switch to Apple computers and mobile devices, drawn by a widening array of Mac software, without suffering the pain of giving up critical Windows-based application sright away. The easy virtualization of two radically different operating systems on a single desktop paves a classic migration path. Business users will be tempted. Apple is positioning itself to challenge Microsoft for overall computer dominance&mdash;even in the corporate realm.

**** Apple's Time Capsule Makes Wireless Backups A Snap <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9076618&source=rss_topic123>
by Ken Mingis, Computerworld
It's so set-it-and-forget-it simple that it's worth doing.

**** Another Reason For Apple To Buy Adobe <http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2008/04/10/another-reason-for-apple-to-buy-adobe.aspx>
by Tim Beyers, Motley Fool
Adobe media player is, in many ways, a self-contained application. No browser is needed to download content from the web.
/Hello? Excuse me? So is iTunes and the iTunes Store and all the free podcasts. So is QuickTime Player and the (still going nowhere) QuickTime guide./
If Adobe has an advantage here, it's with Flash. Having Flash deeply embedded into a media player could make delivering ads side by side slicker and more relevant.
/So does QuickTime and the QuickTime skin. Which nobody is using./

**** Apple Releases Pro Applications Update For Final Cut, Logic, Shake <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2008/04/10.10.shtml>
by Bryan Chaffin, Mac Observer

**** Configure Mail To Prevent iCal Spam <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9561>
by Jeff Carlson, TidBITS
At the very least, any event passed to iCal should be intercepted and presented to the user as a confirmation dialog.

**** First Listen: Hear <http://www.macworld.com/article/132935/2008/04/firsthear.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Mac OS X's 'Search In Google' Safari Tie-In <http://daringfireball.net/2008/04/google_safari_tiein>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
If you control-click on a word or a range of selected text and choose "Search in Google", the search is performed in Safari, regardless whether it's your preferred browser.

**** OmniWeb 5.7 Gets Updated With New(ish) WebKit, Other Fixes <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2008/04/10/ombiweb-5-7-gets-updated-with-newish-webkit-other-fixes>
by Justin Berka, Ars Technica

**** Mac Fans Now Have A Spacious Place To Store Backed-Up Files <http://www.boston.com/business/technology/articles/2008/04/10/mac_fans_now_have_a_spacious_place_to_store_backed_up_files/>
by Hiawatha Bray, Boston Globe
A company spokesman told me that Apple built Time Capsule with just one goal - easy data backups for Mac users. Mission accomplished.

**** Targeted Ads Designed For You <http://www.technologyreview.com/Biztech/20551/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review
Companies are finding novel ways to target advertising to your cell phone and television.

**** Yahoo Goes Scorched Earth <http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/04/10/yahoo-goes-scorched-earth/>
by Michael Arrington, TechCrunch

**** Start Making Sense <http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=11002939>
by The Economist
Big and small companies are getting into the business of building an intelligent web of linked data.

**** Failure To Report <http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=34890>
by Brendan Smith, Washington City Paper
How did the D.C. Jail let two troubled inmates kill themselves in their cells? Don't ask the D.C. Jail.

**** The Great Forgetting <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/opinion/11brooks.html?ex=1365652800&en=b0651114af6f6cba&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by David Brooks, New York Times
In the era of an aging population, memory is the new sex.

**** Wiseguys And Fall Guys, Welcome To Globalization <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/11/books/11book.html?_r=1&ex=1365652800&en=95fc66b96de95972&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by William Grimes, New York Times
Transnistria does not get much attention in the news, but Misha Glenny makes it a mandatory stop in "McMafia," his wildly ambitious tour of organized crime in the era of globalization.

**** Monkey Talk <http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/the_tls/article3713961.ece>
by Barbara J. King, The Times
New studies of language in people and other primates set out to reveal our human nature.

**** Once Upon A Time, Dad Went To War <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2008/04/11/iraq/index.html>
by Alison Buckholtz, Salon
Books had always helped me in a crisis. But could I find one that explained to my kids why their father was in Iraq?

**** To Do: Skip Newseum Opening <http://www.slate.com/id/2188802/?from=rss>
by Jack Shafer, Slate
Why you should boycott journalism's monument to itself.

**** NTUC's "Gift" - Helping The Poor Or Blatant Exploitation? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2008/04/11/ntucs-gift-helping-the-poor-or-blatant-exploitation/>
by Leong Sze Hian and Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen

**** MCYS To Bring Forward Implementation Data Of PA Rate Increase <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/340831/1/.html>
by Chio Su-Mei, Channel NewsAsia
The Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) announced on Friday that the implementation date of hte increase in public assistance (PA) rates will be brought forward from July to May.

**** Private Buses Suggest Having Different IU With ERP Charges Displayed <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/340852/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlel, Channel NewsAsia
This will make it easier for them to pass on ERP costs to customers in a transparent manner.

**** Ban-Happy Singapore <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-862.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Aussie Minister Criticises Tiger Airways Over Deaf Passenger Policy <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_226078.html>
by Associated Press

**** Accept Outflow Of Talents As A Reality: PM <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_226068.html>
by Straits Times
Singapore must accept the outflow of top talent as a reality, with more Singaporeans going abroad for study and work, said prime ministe lee Hsien Loong on Friday.
/We have no idea how to compete with cities like Silicon Valley or London for top talents. What to do?/

**** Singapore Says Olympic Torch Relay Protests Will Have Lifetime Consequences <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/340788/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has warned that the outrage in China, espeically among the young, over the displays of contempt for China and things Chinese will have consequences well beyond the Beijing Olympic Games.

**** The World Is Different <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2008/04/world-is-different.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
It is just that the award doesn't square with our experience.

**** Where Is Our "Full Account", Independent Committee? <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2008/04/where-is-our-full-account-independent.html>
by Gerald Giam, SIngapore Patriot
I just checked the calendar, and I think it's 11 April today, which means that the report is more than 10 days late.

**** Rice A Small Part Of Bills At FairPrice: Swee Say <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_225927.html>
by Goh Chin Lian, Straits Times
The cost of rice is a small fraction of shoppers' expenditure at NTUC FairPrice supermarkets, according to labour chief Lim Swee Say. So, despite exporters doubling the global price of rice, it has not burnt as big a hole in the pockets of consumers, he told 80 union leaders.
/I guess nobody in Singapore is so poor that he can only afford rice and maybe one piece of luncheon meat every meal, eh? Rice too expensive? Go eat cake./