[MyAppleMenu] Apr 10, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 10 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Little Adjustments - From Windows To Mac <http://digitalapplejuice.com/little-adjustments-from-windows-to-mac/>
by David Alison, DigitalAppleJuice.com
One of the little "gotchas" for me with my Mac has been closing down applications.

**** Praise Be To The Lord Our Jobs <http://www.theage.com.au/news/danny-katz/praise-be-to-the-lord-our-jobs/2008/04/09/1207420476347.html>
by Danny Katz, The Age
"I've always been a devout PC follower, but now I'm thinking of converting... to Mac."

**** Safari's Tab Dragging Modes <http://daringfireball.net/2008/04/safari_tab_dragging_modes>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
Safari's behavior with tab-dragging is a little weird, and I suspect confusing to many people. When you drag a Safari tab, there are two dragging modes, determined by the initial direction in which you drag.
/And I totally agree with Gruber's conclusion: there is no need for the intra-window mode to exist, except that it looks pretter than the inter-window mode./

**** Game Boy <http://www.portfolio.com/executives/features/2008/04/10/Interview-With-Activision-CEO>
by Kevin Maney, Portfolio.com
Activision CEO Bobby Kotick bought Guitar Hero and became a star. But will competitors' aggressive moves&mdash;like Electronic Arts' hostile bid for Take Two&mdash;knock him on his ax?

**** Gartner: Windows Collapsing Under Its Own Weight; Radical Change Needed <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8428>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet.com

**** Tapping In To The Developing World <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/apr/10/socialnetworking.mobilephones>
by Victor Keegan, The Guardian

**** Fire And Motion <http://www.inc.com/magazine/20080401/how-hard-could-it-be-fire-and-motion.html?partner=fogcreek>
by Joel Spolsky, Inc
Instead of paying attention to what your competitors are doing, start reading your customer feedback e-mail personally.

**** Closely-Watched Case May Spell Trouble For Software Patents <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080409-closely-watched-case-may-spell-trouble-for-software-patents.html>
by Timothy B. Lee, Ars Technica

**** At A Loss <http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/SavageLove?oid=550027>
by Dan Savage, The Stranger
Eulogizing my mother back here with the escort ads? So let's not think of this as a eulogy. Let's think of it as a thank-you note, the kind of nicety that my mother appreciated.

**** 'American Artisanal' <http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/chi-artisan_9apr09,1,5381064.story>
by Rebecca Gray, Chicago Tribune
Baloney, I say to the anti-cooking thing. Cooking is as basic and central to our being as the fire we use to accomplish it.

**** Loss /Lieder/ <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080421/mlinko>
by Ange Mlinko, The Nation
It's National Poetry Month, and that means cooked meat.

**** House Of Cards <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2008/04/06/house_of_cards/?page=1>
by Drake Bennett, Boston Globe
While memoirists are being publicly humiliated and dropped by their publishers for fabricating incidents in their own lives, the Mezrich empire is prospering.

**** The Chinese Food Diaspora <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/04/08/AR2008040802823.html?nav=rss_artsandliving/books>
by Christine Y. Chen, Washington Post
"The Fortune Cookie Chronicles" isn't just about the popularization of Chinese food; it's also a story of Chiense immigrants in America.

**** 'The Soiling Of Old Glory' By Louis P. Masur <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-et-rutten9apr09,0,1329288.story?track=rss>
by Tim Rutten, Los Angeles Times
It was a shocking image that seemed to encapsulate &mdash; indeed, for many, it did encapsulate &mdash; white resistance to civil rights. Masur, the William R. Kenan Jr. professor of American institutions and values at Trinity College, beins with that photo and its circumstances and from there builds an analysis not only of the picture and its structural and symbolic components, but also of its actual context.

**** MOH Says No Cause For Alarm Desite Rise In HFMD Cases <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/340630/1/.html>
by Hasnita A Majid, Channel NewsAsia

**** HDB Revises Sales Scheme As Stock Of Flats Falls <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_225739.html>
by Joyce Teo, Straits Times

**** Government Considers Singapore To Boost Police Numbers <http://www.nbr.co.nz/home/column_article.asp?id=21225&cid=8&cname=News>
by New Zealand National Business Review
Police have been discussing recruiting officers from Singapore to help fill the 1000 extra places promised under the agreement between the government and New Zealand First.

**** MAS Continues To Tighten Singapore's Monetary Policy <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/340515/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
The Monetary Authority of Singapore (MAS) announced on Thursday that it will re-centre the Singapore dollar nominal effective exchange rate (S$NEER) policy band at the prevailing level.
See Also:
Monetary Authority Of Singapore Tightens Forex Policy To Curb Inflation <http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/04/09/afx4873406.html>, by Thomsons Financial. This means the central bank will tolerate further strengthening of the Singpaore dollar, which has appreciated by some 5.6 percent so far this year. A strong currency will help insulate the domestic economy from soaring global commodity prices.

**** Why So Few Entries By Young MPs? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,161615,00.html?>
by Karen Wong, New Paper
The blog is called "It's where we talk". But is walking the talk becoming too time-consuming?
/To me, the P65 blog is simply just another piece of neglected PR machine. There's no a single piece of genuine conversation in the entire blog. It's all the usual I-talk-you-listen mode./

**** A Step Too Far? <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,161616,00.html?>
by Megha Gupta, New Paper
Though there have been improvements, the disabled are still facing problems when using public transport.

**** Economists Say Singapore's GDP Growth Likely To Rebound In Q1 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/340413/1/.html>
by Ng Baoying, Channel NewsAsia

**** Commuters To Get Wider Choice Of Cards Next Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_225550.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
Public transport users will have a choice of more than one card to pay for bus and train fares and road toll charges next year.

**** SAF May Take A Shot At Outsourcing Rifle Range <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_225559.html>
by David Boey, Straits Times
In what wold be a first for the army, private companies could some day supervise soldiers as they practise gunning down targets at outdoor firing ranges.