[MyAppleMenu] Apr 3, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Apr 3 13:15:01 EDT 2008

**** Create Good Queries In Spotlight <http://www.macworld.com/article/132788/2008/04/spotlight2.html>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld

**** Straight From AT&amp;T Mobility CEO's Mouth: 3G iPhone Coming In "Months" <http://gizmodo.com/375314/straight-from-att-mobility-ceos-mouth-3g-iphone-in-months-and-299-vu>
by Gizmodo
/Osborne effect <http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Osborne_effect&oldid=201136899>? Never heard of it./

**** The $64,000 Question <http://daringfireball.net/2008/04/64000_question>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
I think it's hard to argue that Adobe should have somehow known the end was near for Carbon when even Apple didn't know.

**** MacBook Air On Holiday: Awesome <http://www.publicspace.net/blog/mac/2008/04/03/macbook-air-on-holiday-awesome/>
by The Official Publicspace.net Blog
It's just awesome as a light travel companion.

**** A Critique Of Apple's Marketing To Windows Users <http://ztrek.blogspot.com/2008/04/critique-of-apples-marketing-to-windows.html>
by Alan Zeichick, Z Trek
Apple's web repository of "I'm a Mac" ads aren't really marketing at all, they're just there to cater to zealots.

**** Apple Update Fixes Mac Pro Glitch <http://www.baltimoresun.com/business/bal-bz.pl.apple03apr03,0,5576342.story>
by Baltimore Sun
If Apple has fixed the problem, why not say so in the update's documentation? Why leave users guessing?

**** Apple Sneezes, Flash Industry Gets Sick <http://www.edn.com/index.asp?layout=article&articleid=CA6544754>
by Suzanne Deffree, EDN

**** The Top 25 Overlooked And Underrated Features In Leopard <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9071258&source=rss_topic123>
by Ryan Faas, Computerworld

**** Rhapsody And Blues <http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2008/04/02/rhapsody-and-blues>
by John Siracusa, Ars Technica
The choice was hard not just because it hurts Adobe and Microsoft, but also because it hurts Apple itself.

**** Is It Something We Said? <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080402.wgtapple03/BNStory/GlobeTQ/home>
by Matt Hartley, Globe And Mail
Just what does Apple Inc. have against Canada?

**** Apple's iPhone A Carrot For Game Developers <http://www.rcrnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080401/FREE/265757792/1074>
by Colin Gibbs, RCR Wireless News
Mobile gaming continues to languish, plagued by a lack of innovation, overpriced titles and the constraints of tiny screens and 12-key pads. But game makers are hoping that Apple Inc.'s iPhone changes all that.

**** Apple To New York City: Bite Me <http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/news/2008/04/apple_vs_apple>
by Bryan Gardiner, Wired
The GreeNYC logo shows astylized apple with a stalk and a leaf. It bears a resemblance to Apple's famous logo &mdash; a resemblance Apple says infringes on its trademark.

**** Photoshop CS4 To Be 64-Bit For Windows, But Not Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/132810/2008/04/photoshop64.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
At WWDC 2007 Apple discontinued its Carbon 64-bit program, which left company's like Adobe without an avenue to make its current codebase 64-bit. What Adobe has to do now is transition all of the old Photoshop code to Apple's native Cocoa programming language, where it can then be made 64-bit.
/Maybe it was a mistake after all for Apple to introduce Carbon?/

**** Apple Passes Wal-Mart, Now #1 Music Retailer In US <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080402-apple-passes-wal-mart-now-1-music-retailer-in-us.html>
by Eric Bangeman, Ars Technica
Paid downloads accounted for almost 30 percent of all music sold in January, a number that would have been unthinkable just a few short years ago.

**** How Does Lightroom 2.0 Beta Compare To Aperture 2.1? <http://www.thomas-fitzgerald.net/2008/04/02/how-does-lightroom-20-beta-compare-to-aperture-21/>
by Thomas Fitzgerald
In my opinion both tools offer a powerful workflow solution for Photographers, but personally, I find Aperture's non modal worklow more intuitive.

**** Inside The Spotlight Menu <http://www.macworld.com/article/132755/2008/04/spotlight1.html>
by Kirk McElhearn, Macworld
In the first part of our Spotlight series we'll give you an overview of the Spotlight menu, including how to customize how results are presented, how to save time with keyboard shortcuts, and how to rboot spotlight when it misbehaves.

**** Apple Releases iTunes, QuickTime, And Front Row Updates <http://www.macworld.com/article/132809/2008/04/itunesupdate.html>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld
/Bug fixes./

**** Apple Unlkely To Get Up And Atom <http://www.news.com/8301-13579_3-9909299-37.html?tag=nefd.lede>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Call me a skeptic, but doesn't that seem like a lot for Apple engineers to tackle in a year, ading a whole new device category when iPhone 2.0 (both in software hardware) is right around the corner? And when new iPod Touches and iPod Nanos are expected in September?

**** Apple: More On The iPhone Shortage; Why Bernstein Does Not Buy The Theory That A 3G Phone Is Imminent <http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2008/04/02/apple-more-on-the-iphone-shortage-why-bernstein-does-not-buy-the-theory-that-a-3g-phone-is-imminent/>
by Eric Savitz, Barrons
Bernstein research analyst Toni Sacconaghi notes both iPhone models appear widely available in AT&amp;T stores. And both models are in stock at O2 and Carphone Warehouse stores n the U.K.

**** 5 Reasons To Ditch The Mac And Return To PCs: Debunked! <http://blogs.computerworld.com/5_reasons_to_ditch_the_mac_and_return_to_pcs_debunked>
by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld
This type of list is a product of a bygone era. Misconceptions that have been proven false for years or nitpicking a flaw of past hardware aren't going to help anyone make a good business decision.
See Also:
Macs: They're Not For Everyone <http://www.cnet.com/8301-13509_1-9909297-20.html>, by The Macalope, CNET News.com.

**** Apple's New Campus Still A Long Way Off <http://bigtech.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/02/apples-new-campus/>
by Jon Fortt, Fortune
Steve Jobs's plans for a new Apple campus in its hometown of Cupertin, Calif. are taking a little longer than expected to become reality.

**** Come Out, Phorm And Apple: We're Here To Criticise You <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/apr/03/privacy.apple>
by Charles Arthur, The Guardian
Sometimes, saying nothing isn't enough.

**** Cloudy Judgment <http://www.slate.com/id/2188015/?from=rss>
by Paul Boutin, Slate
Web-based applications are all well and good, but there's still no beating the desktop computer.

**** Computing In 2020: Erasing The Boundary Between Human And PC <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080402-computing-in-2020-erasing-the-boundary-between-human-and-pc.html>
by John Timmer, Ars Technica

**** Throwing The Bums Out, WIthin And Without <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/03/28/AR2008032801319.html>
by Sara Mansfield Taber, Washington Post
Lagrimas &mdash; tears &mdash; that's what Argentines call the drips that flow down the inside of a glass of swirled wine. The country, it seems, has been able to weep &mdash; and now, to smile.

**** An Oyster's Kind Of Town <http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/food/chi-oyster_2apr02,1,2579086.story>
by Bill Daley, Chicago Tribune
Oysters and Chicago are two words that don't sit comfortably together. After all, the oyster is all about the ocean, conjuring up visions of rocky coastlines, dark seas and a picturesque lighthouse or two. And Chicago? Lighthouses, yes, but on a lake. And the nearest ocean isnearly a thousand miles away.
Still, the oyster should be linked to Chicago, just as the hot dog, Italian beef and deep-dish pizza are, because oysters have played a vibrant role in Windy City life since almost the very beginning.

**** S Iswaran Says Singapore Has Ample Supply Of Rice <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/339128/1/.html>
by Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia
Senior minister of state for trade and industry S Iswaran on Thursday said that Singapore has an ample supply of rice, and urged the public to brace itself for further possible price increases.

**** The Singporean Obsession With A Grades <http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2008/04/singaporean-obsession-with-grades.html>
by The Boy Who Knew Too Much
It is time to drop this excessive regard for perfect grades in Singapore. The ones with perfect grades do not necessaily have the best minds. In fact, I would say that they are more likely to be less interesting people than others who have more diverse interests, and lesser grades as a result.

**** Would You Care To Hire An Orchestra? <http://wp.jiinjoo.com/?p=298>
by Ong Jiin Joo
Using classical economics, this is a case of a demand curve that's slowly shifting out, but an artificially high supply of musicians pushing prices low, way low.

**** Pay $10 More For Medishield And Get Double The Payout <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_223403.html>
by Salma Khalik, Straits Times

**** Public Hospitals In For A Shake-Up <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_223427.html>
by Lee Hui Chieh, Straits Times

**** LTA Rejects SMRT's Appeal For Lighter Fine <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_223431.html>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times
The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has turned down rail operator SMRT Corp's appeal to reduce a $387,176 fine. The authority acknowledged the mitigating actions, but said that this had already been taken into consideration when the penalty was determined.

**** Virtual Map Shuts Down Street Directory Site After Losing Suit <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_223413.html>
by Chua Hian Hou, Straits Times
Popular online map StreetDirectory.com has shut down, after the company behind it, Virtual Map, lost its appeal against the Singapore Land Authority over copyright infringement last week.
The site was taken down two days ago, said Virtual Map's managing director Firdhaus Akbar, but the company is currently working with a set of replacement, non-infringing maps, and hopes to bring the site back online in 'about two days'.

**** Apparent Lack Of Coordination Between Temasek And Ministry Of Finance Is Alarming <http://utwt.blogspot.com/2008/04/apparent-lack-of-coordination-between.html>
by Under The Willow Tree

**** Rocket Food <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2008/04/rocket-food.html>
by Singapore Life And Times
I thought Fairprice was set up for the poor among us anyway? You mean Fairprice has gone up-market already, so much so that the very people for which it was set up cannot afford its prices anymore?

**** Hiring Foreign Workers With Casbback <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp080403_501.shtml>
by Xie Yenyen, Lianhe Zaobao

**** Dickson Tan And The Singapore Government <http://ithinkthere4im.blogspot.com/2008/04/dickson-tan-and-singapore-government.html>
by Ergo Cognito Sum
The Singapore government had erred and should be reprimanded.

**** Thyme In A Bottle <http://newasiancuisine.wordpress.com/2008/04/02/thyme-in-a-bottle/>
by Wendy Chan, New Asian Cuisine
Singapore offers a kaleidoscopic range of flavors derived from a multicultural heritage blending Chinese, Malay, Indian, Arab and the deep, rich and spicy Nonya cuisines.

**** A Bloated Cabinet <http://chiatilik.wordpress.com/2008/04/02/a-bloated-cabinet/>
by Chia Ti Lik

**** Red Dot Goes Black? <http://www.asiaisgreen.com/2008/04/02/red-dot-goes-black/>
by AsiaIsGreen
We hope that Tuas Power would remember its own enviornmental commitment to control emissions and reject the idea of building coal-fired plants in Singapore.

**** Earth Hour: Singapore Dims The Future, Symbolically. <http://scientific-child-prodigy.blogspot.com/2008/04/earth-hour-singapore-dims-future.html>
by The Boy Who Knew Too Much
Singapore's leaders speak of the importance of the environment. However, the actions of Singapore are not always in agreement with those expressed sentiments.

**** How Wide Do We Cast The Net? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/246287.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today
Will Singapore accept a radical alternative of recruiting foreign talent for a place in Cabinet, just like corporate chief executives are headhunted?

**** Ah Long Pte Ltd Is Biggest Singapore Release In Malaysia <http://www.star-ecentral.com/movies/buzz/buzz.asp?file=archives/buzz/2008/4/3AhLongPteL&date=4/3/2008&title=Ah%20Long%20Pte%20Ltd%20is%20biggest%20Singapore%20release%20in%20Malaysia>
by The Star
Jack Neo's /Ah Long Pte Ltd/ has become he biggest SIngapore release in Malaysia after raking in RM2.22 million in 12 days.
/Seems to me that this film has a good word-of-mouth in Malaysia./

**** Singapore Offers FTA Pact <http://www.chinapost.com.tw/editorial/taiwan%20issues/2008/04/03/150091/Singapore-offers.htm>
by China Post
President-elect Ma Ying-jeou has expressed his wish to resume talks on a free trade agreement (FTA) with Singapore under the name the island uses at the World Trade Organization (WTO).

**** India - Singapore Relations: An Over View <http://www.c3sindia.org/india/226/india-&ntilde;-singapore-relations-an-over-view/>
by V. Suryanarayan, Chennai Centre For China Studies

**** Premium Bus Services Now Total Over 50 <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_223227.html>
by Yeo Ghim Lay, Straits Times
Bus operators are expected to run at least 72 premium bus services by June.

**** Why Is Mall's Playground Located Next To Smoking Area? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/246252.asp>
by Shynna Seng, Today
I was surprised to discover that the IMM playground was located next to a smoking area.

**** National Stadium To Host 2 More Games <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_223179.html>
by Leonard Lim, Straits Times