[MyAppleMenu] Apr 2, 2008

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Apr 2 13:15:00 EDT 2008

**** Apple's Weak Growth Sister: The iPod? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8356>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet.com
How does Apple differentiate between the iPhone and iPod?

**** Apple Leads In 'Cool Britannia' Online <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20877>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK

**** Intel Exec: Programming For Multicore A Challenge <http://www.macworld.co.uk/business/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=20867>
by Agam Shah, Macworld UK

**** Why Apple Will Go Atomic <http://www.forbes.com/technology/2008/04/02/atom-intel-apple-tech-cx_bc_0402techatom.html>
by Brian Caulfield, Forbes
Intel's most intriguing customer isn't showing its intentions. This is despite the fact that analysts say Apple will almost certainly dip into Intel's new line of processors, as they grow both more power-efficient and more powerful.

**** My Life With The Mac: A Debriefing <http://redzeppelin.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/my-life-with-the-mac-a-debriefing/>
by Destination Unknown
Windows has users &mdash; Apple has followers.

**** Adobe Releases Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 Beta <http://www.macworld.com/article/132791/2008/04/lightroom2.html>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld
Adobe on Wednesday announced the Photoshop Lightroom 2.0 beta program, following up on the successful beta for the first version of the photography workflow application. Lightroom 2.0 beta will include many enhancements including being the first Adobe application to support 64-bit for Mac OS X 10.5 Intel Macs.

**** Avod These Stall Points <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/IBD-0001-24190055.htm>
by Investor's Business Daily
Recent history shows why innovation stalls at many firms.

**** Has Microsoft Lost Its Way On Desktop Computing? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=1486>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet.com
Microsoft's desktop strategy has been and continues to be a prescription for mediocrity. No wonder that the PC market is so focused on cost, commoditization and the entry-level machine.

**** Five Reasons To Ditch The Mac And Return To PCs <http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/04/01/Five-reasons-to-ditch-the-Mac-and-return-to-PCs_1.html>
by Robert Lemos, CIO
Instead of productivity gains, dealing with compatibility issues between the Macs used by engineers and the PCs running Windows used by the line-of-business people in the office slowed down work and resulted in communications issues.

**** Axiotron Modbook: The Next Best Thing To A Canvas <http://technews.iit.edu/index.php?id=928>
by Kamakshi Palakodety, TechNews
The Modbook is more like a drawing board for designers. It is a slate tablet PC which enables the illustrators to work with a pen rather than the keyboard, prompting flexibility to their designs' digital incarnation.

**** Apple Makes Headway On PC Vs Mac Front, But Isn't That The Old War? <http://briefingsdirectblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/apple-makes-headway-on-pc-vs-mac-front.html>
by Dana Gardner
We should expect quite a bit of news out of Apple soon that has nothing to do with client-side hardware, and much more to do with the iTunes funnel and the .mac services cloud.
/Certainly, I do sense great things are yet to come on .mac, but I'll hestiate to say that "there's not too much more innovation needed down there in the hardware space."/

**** Bridging The Mac-PC Divide With Boot Camp <http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080401/BLOG01/80401021/1011/NEWS09>
by Mike Wendland, Detroit Free Press
I really can tell no difference between running those Windows programs on my Mac with Boot Camp, and on my Dell at my Free Press office.

**** Analyst: Apple's U.S. Consumer Market Share Now 21 Percent <http://apple20.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2008/04/01/analyst-apples-us-consumer-market-share-now-21-percent/?source=yahoo_quote>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Fortune
The iPhone gets the most press and the iPod sells in the largest quantities, but it's the Macintosh that really drives Apple's growth, says Gene Munster.

**** New Get A Mac Ads (For Real!) <http://www.macuser.com/advertising/new_get_a_mac_ads_for_real.php?lsrc=murss>
by Thomas Gagnon-van Leeuwen, MacUser

**** Review: Ableton Live 7 Digital Audio Workstation <http://www.macworld.com/article/132766/2008/04/ableton_live_7.html>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld
Ableton Live remains a more-than-able musical tool.

**** FinderPop 2.1.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/132783/2008/04/finderpop212.html>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
FinderPop is up there on my personal list of must-have utilities for Mac SO X. If you want quicker access to your files and folders, it's a mose-driven alternative to keyboard launchers.

**** Gene Munster: Sold Out iPhones Suggest New iPhone Coming <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2008/04/gene_munster_so.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
This leads him to believe two possibilities. 1) A new iPhone is coming sooner than originally expected or 2) There's a production or manufacturing problem. He figures the chances that a new iPhone are coming at about 80%.

**** The Anatomy Of An iPhone User (And Why They Want New Form Factors) <http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8346>
by Larry Dignan, ZDNet.com
The average Apple iPhone user is an avid email reader (not writer) under the age 30, browses the web heavily and may carry a second phone. Meanwhile, a lot of these folks would like a few physical tweaks to the iPhone.
Those are some of the takeaways froma report from from Rubicon, a research firm, and indicates a bevy of interesting cross currents.

**** Children Flock To Social Networks <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7325019.stm>
by Darren Waters, BBC News

**** Why (Most) Authors And Publishers Need Not Fear Online Privacy <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20080401-why-authors-and-publishers-need-not-fear-online-piracy.html>
by Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

**** Are Mix Tape Sites On Solid Legal Ground? <http://www.news.com/8301-13772_3-9908164-52.html?tag=nefd.top>
by Daniel Terdiman, CNET News.com
The safe harbor protections of the DMCA can sometimes protect web-based services from liability related to the infringing behavior of their users.

**** Microsoft Open Format Standard Said To Get Global Approval <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/01/technology/01cnd-soft.html?_r=1&ex=1364788800&en=82e66013c97db7e2&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&oref=slogin>
by Kevin J. O'Brien, New York Times

**** 'The Stone Gods,' A Novel By Jeanette Winterson <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-et-book31mar31,0,6952604.story>
by Kai Maristed, Los Angeles Times
"The Stone Gods" contains bold scientific hypotheses, enough anger to topple mountains and the imaginative assurance of a sleepwalker pirouetting on a tight wire.

**** Some Good News On Food Prices <http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/02/dining/02cheap.html?ex=1364788800&en=bab44f57f61df8ea&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Kim Severson, New York Times
For locavores, small growers, activist chefs and others, higher grocery bills might be just the thing to bring about the change they desire.
Higher food costs, they say, could push pasture-raised milk and meat past its boutique status, make organic food more accessible and spark a national conversation aboutwhy inexpensive food is not really such a bargain after all.

**** Grace Fu: Select Women For Their Skills <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_223143.html>
by Sumathi V Selvaretnam, Straits Times
Ms Grace Fu would very much like to see a woman appointed a full cabinet minister, but not 'just to satisfy some gender or race requirement'.
/So what does this say about our "minority-race" fellow citizens and the GRC system?/

**** NEP And Singaporeans <http://jedyoong.wordpress.com/2008/03/28/nep/>
by Jed Yoong
The last thing I need is a Singaporean to dish out advice. Please look at your totalitarian, characterless state before offering words of wisdom on our uniquely Malaysian problems.

**** Cinema: Lion City <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2008/yax-858.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread
Despite its flaws, as Pin Pin said, it's the seeing with modern eyes that made the film interesting.

**** Singapore Office Rents Rise To Fresh Record In Q1 - DTZ Debenham <http://www.forbes.com/markets/feeds/afx/2008/04/01/afx4842517.html>
by Thomson Financial

**** Motorola To Stop Singapore Mobile Phone Production <http://ca.reuters.com/article/technologyNews/idCASIN12786020080402>
by Reuters
Motorola Inc said on Wednesday it will stop making mobile phones in Singapore by the end of the year, a move that will result in the loss of 700 jobs.

**** Cultural Learnings Of Canada For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Singapore (Day 87 In Vancouver) <http://www.mrbiao.com/blog/cultural-learnings-of-canada-for-make-benefit-glorious-nation-of-singapore-day-87-in-vancouver.html>
by This Lush Garden Within

**** Malaysia Has A New Cabinet, So Does Singapore! <http://quachee.blogspot.com/2008/04/malaysia-has-new-cabinet-so-does.html>
by Quachee's Blog
Malaysia has women minister - for a long time now.

**** Toronto Singapore Film Festival 08 <http://moviemoxie.blogspot.com/2008/04/toronto-singapore-film-festival-08.html>
by Movie Moxie

**** So Is UniSIM The 4Th University Or Is It Not?! <http://blog.simplyjean.com/2008/04/02/so-is-unisim-the-4th-university-or-is-it-not/>
by Simply Jean
Sorry about all these conspiracy theories, but I can't stand it when groups of people start conradicting each other when they are supposedly from the same employer.

**** Some Coffeeshop Raising Prices Of Coffee And Tea By Ten Cents <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp080402_504.shtml>
by Lianhe Zaobao

**** Thai Rice 'Too Expensive' For Singapore Stalls <http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/breakingnews.php?id=126869>
by DPA
Hawkers and restaurant owners are switching to rice from Burma instead of more expsnive imports from Thailand to cop eiwth global increases in rice prices, news reports said Wednesday.

**** Singapore's GIC Not Ruling Out Fresh Cash Injection Into UBS - Report <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/newstex/AFX-0013-24190738.htm>
by Thomson Financial
The Government of Singapore Investment Corp., a sovereign wealth fund, is not ruling out a fresh cash injection into UBS AG after the Swiss financial giant announced a plan to raise another $15 billion in capital through the issuance of new shares, the Business Times reported on Wednesday.

**** A Setting Fit For The Beautiful Game <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/338781/1/.html>
by Tan Yo-Hinn, Today
The Marina Bay Floating Platform will be ready to hold football matches after the inaugural SingTel Singapore Grand Prix on Sept 28.

**** Population Sustainability In Singapore <http://sres1001-environmentalsustainability.blogspot.com/2008/04/population-sustainability-in-singapore.html>
by Environmental Sustainability

**** Maids In Singapore = Commodity? <http://somethingboutrenes.wordpress.com/2008/04/01/maids-in-singapore-commodity/>
by Sometravelogboutrenes
How can one's life be commoditized simply because of the lack of opportunity in life?

**** Foreign Talent Diversifies In Singapore: Pallbearing?! <http://cowboycaleb.liquidblade.com/index.php/archives/2008/04/02/foreign-talent-diversifies-in-singapore-pallbearing/>
by Cowboy Caleb

**** Where's The Space? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/246065.asp>
by Bryan Ong Pang Chai, Today
I urge the LTA to carefully consider the impact of any plans to move more people onto the public transport network if it has not effectively solved the problem of overcrowding on the trains.

**** Food Price Hikes: No Simple Solutions <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/246093.asp>
by Neo Chai Chin and Alicia Wong, Today
With food prices going up around the world, economists point out, diversification will not be enough to avoid inflation in Singapore, which impots about 90 per cent of its edibles.

**** PM Still Looking For His Successor <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_222802.html>
by Lydia Lim, Straits Times
It takes about three elctions to groom a leader, so there's no time to lose, he says.
See Also:
Building Up Talent For A Future Cabinet <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_222866.html>, by Straits Times.
Lee Boon Yang Staying On For Another Year <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_222866.html>, by Lydia Lim, Straits Times. Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said yesterday: 'Boon Yang is staying on for another year. So in a year's time, we will decide what we will do.'