[MyAppleMenu] Sep 28, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 28 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Website Details iPhone Root Exploit <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/28/iphone.root.exploit/>
by MacNN

**** European .Mac Customers Furious At Poor Performance <http://www.macworld.co.uk/mac/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19236>
by Jonny Evans, Macworld UK
Apple has confirmed multiple reports that European .Mac members are suffering terrible performance when uploading or downloading using the service.

**** Ringtone Madness <http://rc3.org/2007/09/ringtone-madnes.php>
by Rafe Colburn, rc3.org
I really like my iPhone, but in some ways it's souring my relationship with Apple.

**** For Feist, iPod Makes It Easy As 1234 <http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/261411>
by Ben Rayner, Toronto Star
Second single from THe Reminder shoots up charts after repeated play in new Nano ad.

**** Dear Apple: You're Ruining The iPhone <http://www.snapturtle.com/wp/2007/09/27/dear-apple-youre-ruining-the-iphone/>
by Snapturtle

**** Apple Wireless Keyboard Annoyances <http://www.glennwolsey.com/2007/09/28/apple-wireless-keyboard-annoyances/>
by Glenn Wolsey
One "error" message which states "Keyboard Disconnected" keeps appearing every few minutes which is beginning to disrupt my workflow as I don't know whether the keyboard is connected and working or not.

**** iPod Touch Update Brings Image Fix <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/27/ipod_touch_111/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jason Snell, Macworld
The update appears to correct a video-display problem that would leave some iPod touch units displaying dark images improperly.

**** More Mac Sense And Nonsense <http://weblog.infoworld.com/yager/archives/2007/09/more_mac_sense.html?source=NLC-CURVE&cgd=2007-09-27>
by Tom Yager, InfoWorld
My friend loves OS X; she's sold. Wild horses driven by a grinning Steve Ballmer carrying $100,000 couldn't drag her back into Windows.

**** Fusion 1.0: The New Kid On The "Windows On Mac" Block <http://www.macworld.com/2007/09/reviews/vmwarefusion/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld
I found Fusion easy, fast, stable (I had no hard lockups during my testing), and very well thought out. Althought it's a very close call between these two excellent virtualization programs, I currently prefer Fusion for its low impact on other OS X applications, support for multiple virtual CPUs, and huge library of virtual appliances.

**** Corel Painter Essentials 4 Gets New Workspace, More <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/09/27.3.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer

**** Apple Releases iWeb 2.02 Update <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/27/iweb.202.update/>
by MacNN

**** Apple Geniuses Are Reportedly Unbricking iPhones <http://www.tuaw.com/2007/09/27/apple-geniuses-are-reportedly-unbricking-iphones/>
by Erica Sadun, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Apple And Orange At Odds Over iPhone Deal: Report <http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070927/wr_nm/francetelecom_apple_dc>
by Reuters

**** Updating The iPod Battery Tests <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/09/ipodbatteries/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist

**** Keynote, Pages And Numbers Get Updated <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/27/iwork/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Apple Update Disables Unlocked iPhones <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/27/iphoneunlock/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Jim Dalrymple and Robert McMillan, IDG News Service, Macworld
After cautioning customers earlier this week that unlocked iPhones may be disabled when installing future Apple software updates, the company on Thursday made good on its warning.
See Also:
Apple Does Major Bug-Fix For iPhone <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/27/Apple-major-bug-fix-iPhone_1.html>, by Robert McMillan, IDG News Service. Company patches popular smartphone's browser, mail client, and most seriously, Bluetooth networking server, which could have allowed entry to hackers.
iPod Touch Gets Updated To 1.1.1, Too <http://www.engadget.com/2007/09/27/ipod-touch-gets-updated-to-1-1-1-too/>, by Donald Melanson, Engadget.
Apple's iPhone Warranty Threats Legally Sound, Lawyers Say <http://blog.wired.com/business/2007/09/apples-iphone-w.html>, by Bryan Gardiner, Wired.

**** Patent Threat To 802.11N May Be Overblown <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/27/Patent-threat-to-80211n-may-be-overblown_1.html>
by Stephen Lawson, IDG News Service
A patent cliam by an Australian research organization would probably not sink the IEEE 802.11n standard, according to some wireless LAN industry veterans.

**** Where's My Free Wi-Fi? <http://www.slate.com/id/2174858/fr/rss/>
by Tim Wu, Slate
The basic idea of offering internet access as a public service is sound. The problem is that cities haven't thought of the internet as a form of public infrastructure that&mdash;like subway lines, sewers, or roads&mdash;must be paid for.

**** Film Could Ease Ratings Stigma <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lust28sep28,1,5199188.story?coll=la-headlines-business&ctrack=1&cset=true>
by Lorenza Munoz, Los Angeles Times
Some in Hollywood are hoping the latest film by Taiwanese director Ang Lee will change the way American audiences perceive the NC-17 label.

**** Translating Poetry Opens Up New Worlds Of Language <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/09/translating_poetry_opens_up_ne.html>
by Carol Rumens, The Guardian
Is there any purpose in translating poetry?

**** Middle Age Threw Me A Wicked Curve <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2007/09/28/crooked_penis/index_np.html?source=rss>
by Peter Kurth, Salon
HIV-positive since the '80s, I never expected to grow old &mdash; and I really didn't expect to end up with a crooked penis.

**** No Merger Is Likely Between IDA And MDA: Dr Balakrishnan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/302698/1/.html>
by Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia
No merger is likely between the Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) and the Media Development Authority (MDA), said Community Development, Youth and Sports minister Dr Vivian Balakrishnan on Friday. "Both IDA and MDA have their hands full. There are so many things happening on this space that everybody is stretched and fully busy."

**** Before I Die <http://feemetothefish.blogspot.com/2007/09/before-i-die.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

**** "That Is What We Are Elected To Do" - MP Josephine Teo <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/27/that-is-what-we-are-elected-to-do-mp-josephine-teo/>
by Andrew Loh, theonlinecitizen
If what Mrs Teo says is representative of the government's views, then perhaps we should all be quite concerned. For it means that Singaporeans' CPF money do not belong to Singaporeans anymore &mdash; that it is the government which has the final say on how and what Singaporeans do with it.

**** ASEAN Cannot Remain Silent Over Myanmar Unrest: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/302532/1/.html>
by Gamar Abdul Aziz, Channel NewsAsia
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has stressed that ASEAN cannot credibly remain silent or uninvolved in what's happening in Myanmar. Mr Lee highlighted this when he called the leaders of six ASEAN countries on Thursday to "express Singapore's deep concern over the very grave situation in Myanmar".

**** Allow Sick Workers To Rest At Home Without Having To Produce An MC <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_161936.html>
by Cheng Yoke Wah, Straits Times

**** Compulsory Annuity And CPF Members' Rights <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_162048.html>
by Thomas Mathew Koshy, Straits Times
Just because it is CPF funds, does government have the right to decide how they should be spent on behalf of CPF members, even against the wishes of the members? An affirmative answer would be unprecendented and would mark a definitive change in the nature of members' rights over their CPF funds.