[MyAppleMenu] Sep 27, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 27 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** Apple And Orange <http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/09/27/technology/PTEND27web.php>
by Victoria Shannon, Internationa Herald Tribune
The biggest annual gathering of Mac fans on the planet &mdash; the Apple Expo &mdash; opened in Paris on Tuesday. But even though organizers expect 70,000 people to attend over the course of the week, the Mac-head-in-chief, Steve Jobs, is not on the schedule.

**** Groups Wins Limited Access To Apple Backdating Documents <http://www.macobserver.com/article/2007/09/26.2.shtml>
by Jeff Gamet, Mac Observer
A California Superior Court judge has granted one group of Apple share holders limited access to documents relating to the company's backdated stock scandal.

**** Path Of Magic Casual Puzzler Released <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/26/path/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** iPhone Drives Google Maps Usage, YouTube Lags <http://gigaom.com/2007/09/17/iphone-drives-google-maps-usage-youtube-lags/>
by Om Malik, GigaOM
Steve Jobs had bragged about Google Maps for iPhone as the best map application, and the usage patterns bear that out.

**** Apple Brings Online Store Design In Line With Rest Of Site <http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/2007/09/26/apple-brings-online-store-design-in-line-with-rest-of-site>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica
Overall, the site feels more useable, with larger headings for key shopping sections, more obvious navigation, and a handy breadcrumb trail at the top of the site.

**** iPod Classic With Software Update 1.0.1 <http://playlistmag.com/reviews/2007/09/ipodclassic101/index.php>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
Although I regret losing a couple of hours of audio playtime with the software update, that regret is more than compensated by increased video playtimes and an iPod that's far more responsive than it once was.

**** CyberSquatters Snap Up iPhone Websites <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/09/26/niphone126.xml>
by Nicole Martin, Telegraph
Dozens of domain names relating to the handset and its operator O2 were bought months before the company even announced that the device would go on sale on November 9.

**** Five Reasons Why The Mobile Web Sucks <http://publishing2.com/2007/09/26/five-reasons-why-the-mobile-web-sucks/>
by Scott Karp, Publishing 2.0
I've had it with all the hype about mobile being the next big thing &mdash; more to the point, I've had it with the mobile web.
See Also:
Five Reasons Why Web 2.0 People Need To Shut The Fuck Up About The Mobile Web <http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/five-reasons-why-web-20-people-need-to-shut-the-fuck-up-about-the-mobile-web>, by Russell Beattie.

**** Java For iPhone Urged By Sun Official <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/26/java-iphone_1.html>
by Paul Krill, InfoWorld
The Java platform may run on 2 billion handheld phones, but not on Apple's trendy new iPhone. Apple's stance was called a mistake by a Sun Microsystems executive Wednesday at the AJAXWorld conference in Santa Clara.

**** Apple Updates iLife Applications <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/26/ilife/index.php>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

**** Apple Expo Paris 2007 Impressions <http://db.tidbits.com/article/9206>
by Joe Kissell, TidBITS
I mean, it was perfectly nice &mdash; everything was shiny and new, the crowds were large, interest was high, and as far as the vendors are concerned, it was by all accounts a great success. But there didn't seem to be much substance to it, and not enough big new things to keep my attention for any length of time.

**** Developers Hot Or Cold On GPLv3? <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9785211-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay, CNET News.com

**** Analysts: Virtualization To Save Businesses Millions <http://www.news.com/Analysts-Virtualization-to-save-businesses-millions/2100-1016_3-6210085.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news>
by Gemma Simpson, CNET News.com

**** Is Lazy Reporting Harming The Visual Arts? <http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/art/2007/09/is_lazy_reporting_harming_the_visual_arts.html>
by Jonathan Jones, The Guardian
Why do journalists write the same six generic stories about art over and over again?

**** Ahmadinejad's New York State Of Mind <http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2007/09/26/ahmadinejad/index_np.html?source=rss>
by Hooman Majd, Salon
My time with Iranian president this week underscored how the U.S. media has overlooked his political savvy.

**** Singapore Population Grew 4.4 Per Cent To 4.68 Mln - Statistics Dept <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v3/news.php?id=287288>
by Jackson Sawatan, Bernama
Singapore's population grew by 4.4 per cent to 4.68 million as of June this year, from 4.483 million a year ago.
The Department of Statistics said that of the total, 3.7 million were Singapore residents &mdash; citizens and permanent residents &mdash; while the rest, non-residents.

**** Police Takes Stern View Of Those Organising Illegal Protests <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/302458/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia
Singapore police say they take a stern view against those who organise and take part in illegal assemblies or processions.

**** Myanmar Crisis Calls For Fresh Approach To National Reconcillation: George Yeo <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_161869.html>
by Straits Times
"Force has already been used and people have died. Unless utmost restraint is shown, we can have a serious situaton in our hands," Singapore's foreign minister George Yeo told The Straits Times. "It will be a tragedy for the people of Myanmar. And it will be a setback for Asean, and indeed, China and India as well."
See Also:
Singapore Urges Myanmar To Seek UN Mediation <http://www.reuters.com/article/asiaCrisis/idUSSIN194360>, by Reuters. Singapore, one of Myanmar's biggest foreign investors, urged the country's military rulers on Thursday to exercise restraint in dealing with anti-government protests and to seek United Nations mediation. Singapore has close relations with Mynamar's junta, and several of its rulers hve sought medical treatment in the wealthy island republic.

**** Private Condos, Clubs Asked To Hire Lifeguards At Pools <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_161861.html>
by Straits Times
Condominiums and clubs have been asked to employ lifeguards, in the wake of the recent spate of drowning incidents in private swimming pools.
The call comes from the National Water Safety Council, which also urge users of private pools to exercise vigilance at all times, particularly in supervising children and weak swimmers at all times.
See Also:
Condo Residents Say Hiring Lifeguards At Pools May Raise Costs <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/302478/1/.html>, by Patwant Singh, Channel NewsAsia.

**** Singapore-Led ASEAN Must Take Immediate, Concrete Action In Myanmar To Prevent Bloodshed <http://singaporepatriot.blogspot.com/2007/09/singapore-led-asean-must-take-immediate.html>
by Gerald Giam, Singapore Patriot
Singapore is now the chairman of ASEAN. The Singapore government's lack of leadership in the situation in Myanmar makes me feel ashamed &mdash; absolutely ashamed &mdash; as a Singaporean!

**** An SBS Minute Is 1.75 Times A Real Minute <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2007/09/an-sbs-minute-i.html>
by mrbrown

**** Toilet Talk Serious Busienss For Singapore's Sanitation Evangelist <http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5gGxx4jS8kypp8eqAX8eHwoI82oDQ>
by AFP
Jack Sim is often greeted with laughter when he introduces his organisation or hands out his business card at international conferences.
And why not? The 50-year-old Singaporean entrepreneur is founder of the oddly-named World Toilet Organisation &mdash; the other WTO &mdash; and his name card comes with a logo depicting a blue toilet seat.

**** Time To Take A Stand - An Open Letter To George Yeo <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/26/time-to-take-a-stand-an-open-letter-to-george-yeo/>
by Koh Jie Kai, theonlinecitizen
In the light of these horrifying facts, I believe it is time for the government to take a stronger diplomatic action against Myanmar.
Singapore will be much better respected as a country with principles; other countries will be less inclined to perceive us as a selfish and calculating people.

**** Macaron Restaurant, Singapore <http://www.wallpaper.com/food_drink/macaron-restaurant-singapore/1773>
by Wallpaper
When the Les Amis group in Singapore announced they were opening Macaron, South East Asia's first ever dessert restaurant, we nearly drooled with excitement.

**** Singapore's Geek Terminal Provides A Haven To Recharge Your Phone Or Caffeine Levels <http://www.bangkokpost.com/260907_Database/26Sep2007_data79.php>
by Don Sambandaraksa, Bangkok Post
For busy business travellers flying to Singapore and looking for somewhere they can plug in their laptops and catch up on work and play with the latest technoogical gadgets, there is a new Mecca. It boasts high tech power points, virtual ponds, unbreakable glases, free international calls via the latest mobile VoIP phones and a 16 million colour bar with gourmet coffee and foods of the world. Welcome to Geek Terminal.

**** Singapore Welcomes UN Decision To Send Special Envoy To Myanmar <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/302264/1/.html>
by Gamar Abdul Azia and Wong Mun Wai, Channel NewsAsia
SIngapore has urged Myanmar authorities to admit UN special envoy Ibrahim Gambari into the country and grant him full access to all players there.
In a statement, MFA says Singapore fully supports any initiative by the UN which would help defuse the situation.

**** Worry In 'Little Myanmar' <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/302331/1/.html>
by Today
Every hour, Myanmar nationals at Peninsula Plaza would crowd inside Maung Maung's provision shop, with their gaze fixed on a small television set on top of a refrigerator.

**** The Good And Bad Of Protests <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/213601.asp>
by Vasanthan Govindasamy, and Andrew Teo Neng Wee, Today