[MyAppleMenu] Sep 22, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 22 13:15:00 EDT 2007

**** The Smartphone OS Wars <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,2186565,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03079TX1K0000585>
by Tim Bajarin, PC Magazine
Windows, Linux, and OS X have nothing on these mobile phone OSs. With Apple, Symbian, and possibly Google involved, the battle could get bloody.

**** Switching To Mac From Vista <http://avive.wordpress.com/2007/09/22/switching-to-mac-from-vista/>
by Aviv Eyal
OS X is bringing the joy of personal computers back to my daily work and play.

**** Radio Apple <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/09/radio/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Eric Suesz, Macworld
What's missing from the world of digital music? Discovery.

**** Microsoft Apologizes, Correct .Mac Issue <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/21/ms.corrects.mac.issue/>
by MacNN
We've now received word from Microsoft indicating that the issue was due to an internal error that has now been corrected, and users should no longer experience the problem.

**** Things Developers Should Know About Leopard <http://theocacao.com/document.page/496>
by Scott steven, Theocacao

**** Usability Test: Does iPhone Match The Hype? <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9037858&pageNumber=1>
by David Haskin, Computerworld
We all know that in the technology world, the hype about new products often doesn't match reality. So it's fair to ask: Is the iPhone as good as its hype? In particular, does iPHone's much-discussed touch-screen interface really make using the device simpler and more intuitive?

**** Daylite 3.5 Syncs With iPhone, iPod <http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/09/21/daylite.syncs.with.iphone/>
by MacNN

**** MSN Rejects .Mac <http://www.macworld.co.uk/digitallifestyle/news/index.cfm?RSS&NewsID=19170>
by Macworld UK
Microsoft's instant messaging network is rejecting users who have signed up using a .Mac email address.

**** Researcher: iPhone Has Potential Security Problems <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/21/Researcher-sees-potential-iPhone-security-problems_1.html>
by Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service
Security researcher lists ways that determined hackers could use the web to try to find a way into Apple's iPhone.

**** Actually, Not Much Better At All This Late Than Never <http://daringfireball.net/2007/09/this_late_than_never>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
It doesn't prove I had the frog in my pocket a year ago.

**** The iPhone Minds Its Speed <http://www.fool.com/investing/international/2007/09/21/the-iphone-minds-its-speed.aspx>
by Dave Mock, Motley Fool
By not going with a 3G version, Apple made a big trade-off in denying fast data speeds for the longer-running iPhone.
But here's the kicker &mdash; Steve Jobs doesn't really care.

**** Linux And Its Identity Crisis <http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9782610-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Don Reisinger, CNET News.com
Historically speaking, Linux has never "been about the money," so wy should it start now?

**** Can Michelle Rhee Save DC Schools? <http://www.washingtonian.com/articles/people/5222.html>
by Harry Jaffe, Washingtonian
Six chiefs have tried to fix DC's schools in the past ten years&mdash;and failed. Now comes a 37-year-old Korean-American from Toledo with no experience running a school system who's convinced she can succeed.

**** Girls Bask In Their New Destiny: Cheerleaders <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/20/AR2007092002703.html?nav=most_emailed>
by Donna St. George, Washington Post
On Clare's team, all the girls have disabilities: autism, Down syndrome, other conditions that delay development. Some have more physical skill. Some are more comunicative. But together they are Destiny, cheerleaders all, a troupe of 12 that has produced what was missing in many of their lives: Belonging. Acceptance. Friendship.

**** Root And Branch <http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071008/hacking>
by Ian Hacking, The Nation
A Canadian philosopher surveys some of the livlier flashpoints in America's battle over evolution.

**** Don't Let Your Hair Down Just Yet <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2007/9/22/columnists/insightdownsouth/18948328&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star
Despite recent relaxation of tight regulations, Singapore is still capable of throwing a curve ball that tests common sense.

**** Never Again, Says Singapore <http://www.ciobinternational.org/news/view/1192>
by Icon Review
It has been four years since four construction workers died in the collapse of a tunnel being built for Singapore's Mass Rapid Transit system, but the legislative effects are still rumbling on.

**** En Bloc Sales Boosting Housing Rentals In Singaore: Analysts <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/301299/1/.html>
by Yvonne Cheong, Channel NewsAsia
Housing rentals in Singapore have risen faster than property prices, a phenomenon that is unique in this region.
Property analysts have pointed the finger at collective, or en bloc, sales, but they say they are not expecting rents to drop sharply even when the redevelopment projects are complete.

**** Megachurches And Homosexuality <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2007/09/22/megachurches-and-homosexuality/>
by Ned Stark, Winter Is Coming
There is a danger that if nothing is done to redress the evident imbalance between the homosexuals and conservatives in society, instances of discrmination could increase and Singapore's progress could be stifled as a result.

**** Views Divided, So Gay Sex Law Stays <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_160321.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times
The decision on whether or not to decriminalise gay sex is a very divisive one and until there is a broader consensus on the matter, Singapore will stick to the status quo.
Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong was explaining the government's decision not to repeal section 337(A) of the Penal Code, even as it introducd to parliament recently a raft of proposed changes to that law.
/What a cop out!/

**** Singlish? Don't Make It Part Of Singapore Identity: PM <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_160322.html>
by Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times
"I think many SIngaporeans will not agree with me but I don't think we should start a new language in Singapore called Singlish. There are too few of us."

**** PM Lee At NUS: Where's The Substance? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/22/pm-lee-at-nus-wheres-the-substance/>
by Choo Zheng Xi, theonlinecitizen
What PM didn't say was more revealing than what he focused on. It was clear that he was trying to steer clear of touching on anything to do with CPF, preferring instead to dwell in the safe habour of the importance of our international friendships and the benefits of cosmopolitanism.

**** PM Lee At NUS Ministerial Forum <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/22/toc-report-pm-lee-at-nus-ministerial-forum/>
by Ng Sook Zhen, theonlinecitizen
If prime minister Lee Hsien Loong were right, even if we change Singapore twice over, there still will be many improvements to be made.

**** Strong Team Of Leaders 'Needed To Keep Singapore Going' <http://www.straitstimes.com/Free/Story/STIStory_160097.html>
by Peh Shing Huei, Straits Times
Biger countries can reover from weak leadership, but Singapore enjoys no such luxury.
Lee Hsien Loong was mapping out the key challenges Singapore faced in the next few decades in a speech last night.

**** PTC Explains Hike In Bus Fares <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_160293.html>
by Looi Teik Soon, Public Transport Council, Straits Times

**** Playboy's Mobile Content To Play By Singapore Rules <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/212748.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today

**** Disgusting = Criminal?? <http://colinckw.blogspot.com/2007/09/disgusting-criminal.html>
by Colin's Page On The Village
At no time during the survey were the respondents asked if male homosexuality should be a criminal offence. Or if we should continue to deprive a significant segment of their lawful rights.

**** A Bid Farewell To Singapore's Open Source Advocate <http://www.zdnetasia.com/blog/btw/0,39056810,63000611,00.htm>
by Eileen Yu, ZDNet Asia
Choek Beng Teck, CIO of the country's Ministry of Defense, chartered the way that saw the government body embrace&mdash;almost unabashedly&mdash;an open source strategy that few in the public sector would have been as comfortable adopting.
Sadly, Cheok passed away last Sunday, apparently after suffering a heart attack whilst trekking on a mountain in China.

**** Crusade Against Ageism In Singapore! <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2007/09/crusade-against-ageism-in-singapore.html>
by Diary Of A Singapore Mind
I have to confess that I got worried when that PAP MP wanted to criminalise ageism. Why? I don't bother to look at resumes of people over 40s for the simple reason that there is a constant pile of resumes of fully qualified 25-30 year olds from all over the world always there for me to choose... why take any risks?

**** Singapore Will Manage Relationship With Malaysia, Indonesia, Work Towards Win-Win Cooperation <http://www.straitstimes.com/Latest%2BNews/Singapore/STIStory_160083.html>
by Straits Times
Singapore will manage its relationship with its closest neighbours Malaysia and Indonesia by standing its ground quietly, and working on the basis of a win-win cooperation, said prime minister Lee Hsien Loong on Friday night.

**** Corporate Governance 101 - Has Singapore Got It Right? <http://www.singaporelawreview.org/2007/09/corporate-governance-101-%E2%80%93-has-singapore-got-it-right/>
by The Singapore Law Review

**** Temasek Holdings Losing Two More Senior Investment Executives <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/301289/1/.html>
by Loh Kim Chin, Channel NewsAsia

**** China, Singapore COllaborate On Fests <http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972418.html?categoryid=19&cs=1&nid=2562>
by Patrick Frater, Variety
China and Singapore are to step up levels of entertainment industry cooperation.
The two countries will start new collaboration with involvement in each other's feativals, it was announced Friday in Beijing by Media Development Authority of Singapore and China's State Administration for Radio Film and Television.