[MyAppleMenu] Sep 21, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 21 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Fox Tries New Lure For iPod Crowd <http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-fox21sep21,1,749561.story?coll=la-headlines-business>
by Meg James, Los Angeles Times
Beginning this week, season premiere episodes of seven Fox Broadcasting programs will be made available for free through Apple's iTunes store, a move that highlights the TV industry's race to harness the internet and try out potential buisness partners.

**** Apple Not Losing Its Touch <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/565852,CST-FIN-Andy20.article>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times
Apple should have committed to either making the Touch into a true iPod or a true "iPhone without the phone features." As it is, the Touch wobbles somewhat awkwardly in between.

**** Is Your iPod Feeling Old Today? <http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2007/09/is_your_ipod_feeling_old_today_1.html>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post
I thought I'd like the iPod touch more at the start&mdash;it's the much more revolutionary model. But after the first day of use, I realized that it was a little fussy to use, thanks to the lack of physical volume controls.

**** That's What Happens In Technology <http://playlistmag.com/weblogs/ipodblog/2007/09/touchtechnology/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Christopher Breen, Playlist
While there's much to like in the iPod touch it remains a confusing compromise.

**** Customers Ask: Is Apple Going Rotten? <http://ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/customers-ask-is-apple-going-rotten/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge
Over the past two weeks, Apple's fans have been grumbling that the company they knew and loved is transforming into another Microsoft, making short-sighted, anti-consumer decisions and carelessly releasing products with user experience-dminishing problems.

**** Hearing Loss Group Complains To FCC About iPhone <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&taxonomyName=mobile_and_wireless&articleId=9037999&taxonomyId=15&intsrc=kc_top>
by Gregg Keizer, Computerworld
A group representing people with a hearing loss filed complaints with the U.S. Federal Communications Commission last month, accusing Apple Inc. of not making its iPhone compatible with hearing aids.

**** Apple Is At The Core Of A Music Rip-Off, Despite What Jobs Says <http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/media/article2500469.ece>
by Dan Sabbagh, The Times

**** On Ringtones And Copyrights <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/20/ringtones/index.php>
by MacJournals.com, Macworld
As with most issues of intellectual property, it's not reducible to black and white.

**** MacPractice 3 Brings Interface Changes <http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/09/20/macpractice3/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Philip Michaels, Macworld

**** Learning The Right Lesson From Times Select <http://www.lostremote.com/2007/09/20/learning-the-right-lesson-from-the-times-select-experiment/>
by Steve Safran, Lost Remote
On the web, you can't assume your offline brand means anything. That's especially true when there is so much information that is so similar to your own. (Admit it.)

**** Lawsuit Charges Open-Source License Violation <http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/20/Lawsuit-charges-open-source-license-violation_1.html>
by Nancy Gohring, IDG News Service
In what may be the first action of its kind in the U.S., the Software Freedom Law Center has filed a lawsuit to enforce an open-source license.

**** Surfing The World Wide Couch <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/20/garden/20couch.html?_r=1&adxnnl=1&oref=slogin&adxnnlx=1190357400-A+/jF1cCbXd2T7kESxLEhQ>
by Penelope Green, New York Times
Couch surfing takes an ancient notion of hospitality and tucks it into a thoroughly modern paradigm, the social networking web site. But, as its members say sternly, it is not a site for dating, or for freeloaders.

**** Government Will Not Take Investment Risks On Behalf Of CPF Members <http://aaron-ng.info/blog/government-will-not-take-investment-risks-on-behalf-of-cpf-members.html>
by Aaron Ng, Hear Ye! Hear Ye!
I think that unless everyone can understand that investment entails risks, is subject to fluctuations and are able to stomach fluctuations in investment, the government is not going to bear investment risks on behalf of CPF members.

**** Is Compulsory Longevity Insurance Necessary? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/21/is-compulsory-longevity-insurance-necessary/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** CPF Dilemma <http://chantc.blogspot.com/2007/09/cpf-dilemma.html>
by My Little Corner
Given the lack of transparency, how can you blame us from thinking in this way?

**** A Page Away From A World Of Wonder <http://tnp.sg/columnists/story/0,4136,142505,00.html?>
by Ratna Tiwary, New Paper
We all relax in some way, but I strongly feel that by not reading, we are indeed shortchanging ourselves. And by not encouraging our children to read, we are going so far as to shortchange the next generation as well.

**** Entrepreneurs At 55: How CPF 'Loans' Can Help <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/212488.asp>
by Ong Lip Hua, Today
CPF board <should conside>r schemes like interest-free "loans" from our own CPF funds if we are keen on undertaking entrepreneurial endeavours, when we hit the age of 55.
/The reality, however, is that the majority of start-up business will fail. Micro-loans, I feel, is probably the better way to go, rather than huge sums from CPF accounts./

**** Disabled Access Rules Enforced <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/212533.asp>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today
Building owners or occupiers will be required by law to ensure these physical features <for the disabled> are not altered, removed or obstructed. Where this does occur, the authorities could get the owner or occupier to reinstate the affected features.

**** Singaporean Students Are Just Too Shy <http://yukasuzuki.blogspot.com/2007/09/singaporean-students-are-just-too-shy.html>
by Flowers.in.the.window

**** From Singapore With Love <http://www.asianewsnet.net/arts.php?aid=12358>
by Hong Xinyi, Straits Times
The prospect of taking a Singapore orchestra to China to perform classical Chinese music may be intimidating for some, but clearly not for the intrepid Yeh Tsung.

**** Temasek's Chief Investment Officer Jimmy Phoon Resigns <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/212538.asp>
by Johnson Choo, Today

**** The Tangled Tales Of En Bloc Sales <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/212514.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today
Yesterday, as parliament passed new laws to regulate en bloc sales which were threatening to get out of hand, members of parliament expressed concerns over the social repercussion of such deasl: how they were breaking up communities and wreaking havoc on the lives of not just Singaporeans but expatriates as well.