[MyAppleMenu] Sep 8, 2007

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Sep 8 13:15:01 EDT 2007

**** Apple iPod Touch: Where's My Mail? <http://blogs.business2.com/apple/2007/09/apple-ipod-touc.html>
by Philip Elmer-DeWitt, Business 2.0
There is no mail program on the touch because Apple doesn't want the device to cannibalize sales of the iPHone. They want to keep the iPhone, a communications product, separate in the consumer's mind from the iPod touch, a music and entertainment device.

**** Some Leftover Thoughts From A Busy Week <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/ByteOfTheApple/blog/archives/2007/09/some_leftover_t.html?campaign_id=rss_blog_byteoftheapple>
by Arik Hesseldahl, BusinessWeek
I'm almost certain that no one at NBC had any inkling that the hugely popular iPod nano was going to become a video-ready player. I'm also pretty certain that they had no clue that the number of video-ready iPods would double from two to four.

**** iPhone Software Unlock Confirmed On Video <http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/apple/iphone-software-unlock-confirmed-on-video-297651.php>
by Gizmodo

**** More Winners And Losers From Apple's iPod Refresh <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=849>
by David Morgenstern, ZDNet

**** Why Apple Isn't The New Microsoft <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/editors/2007/09/notnewms/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Dan Frakes, Macworld
I could spend time picking apart some of the other statements in the article, but the biggest problem I had with Elgan's piece is that after getting so many things Just Plain Wrong, he then goes on to talk about how he actually /supports/ Apple, despite all of the Bad Things he recited.

**** Safari's RSS Puzzle <http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/09/safaris_rss_puzzle.html>
by Scot Hacker, O'Reilly Mac DeveCenter Blog
Apple - whatever you do with RSS in Leopard, please turn up the voltage on the de-confusifizer. RSS is important technology, and consumers aren't going to getexcited about it until you simultaneously show them its power /and make it simple/.

**** Apple Stock Tumbles After iPhone Fiasco <http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201804925&subSection=All+Stories>
by Antone Gonsalves, InformationWeek
Investors showed their displeasure with the $200 price cut and subsequent rebate by shaving $11 billion off Apple's market cap.

**** The iPod Touch's Significance <http://www.oreillynet.com/mac/blog/2007/09/the_ipod_touchs_significance.html>
by Todd Ogasawara, O'Reilly Mac DeveCenter Blog
I've long lamented the loss of choices of non-phone Windows Mobile products. I hate having to tie a Pocket PC purchase to phone service ocntracts or pay a premium for an unlocked phone. I think the iPhone's impact, large as it is, will be dwarfed by the iPod touch which allows anyone to buy it without a phone contract.

**** Apple Locks TV Out In New iPods, Breaks Video Add-Ons <http://ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-locks-tv-out-in-new-ipods-breaks-video-add-ons/>
by Jeremy Horwitz, iLounge

**** Pipette 1.0R1 <http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macgems/2007/09/pipette/index.php?lsrc=mwrss>
by Eric Suesz, Macworld
It's designed to do one thing&mdash;sample a color on your screen and automatically copy that color's hex code to the Clipboard&mdash;and it does that thing very well.

**** Is Apple The New Microsoft? <http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,136949-c,companynews/article.html>
by Mike Elgan, Computerworld
Don't look now, but the role of the industry's biggest bully is increasingly played by Apple, not Microsoft.

**** Steve Jobs Speaks The Truth About The iPhone Price Drop <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/09/07/steve-jobs-speaks-the-truth-about-the-iphone-price-drop/>
by Saul Hansell, New York Times Blog
I hate to say it, but I think Steve Jobs is telling the truth about the iPhone price cut.

**** Apple Signs iPhone Patent Deal With Interdigital <http://news.com.com/8301-13579_3-9773982-37.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Tom Krazit, CNET News.com
Apple has signed a patent-licensing agreement with a company called InterDigital for what apeared to be $20 million, plus ongoing royalties, that cover the current iPhone and hints at a 3G successor.

**** That Product Transition <http://daringfireball.net/2007/09/that_product_transition>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball
The most likely explanation for Apple's supposed earnings drop this quarter is that Apple is moving additional products to subscription-based accounting.

**** US Backing For Two-Tier Internet <http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6983375.stm>
by BBC News
The US Justice Department has said that internet service providers should be allowed to charge for priority traffic.

**** Words Into Type <http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/09/books/review/Heller-t.html?ex=1346990400&en=29a26922583b6938&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
by Steven Heller, New York Times
With the computer, "font" has entered the vernacular, and almsot every keyboard jockey has become an aficionado.

**** Planning Cycling Events: Uniquely Singapore, F1 Or F9? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2007/09/08/planning-cycling-events-uniquely-singapore-f1-or-f9/>
by Leong Sze Hian, theonlinecitizen

**** Thailand, Singapore Reaffirm Close Bilateral Ties <http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/read.php?newsid=30048245>
by The Nation

**** JBJ's $2,000 Reinstatement Hurdle <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/210039.asp>
by Nazry Bahrawi, Today

**** Changi Can't Afford To Wait 2 Years <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/209992.asp>
by Prithpal Singh, Today

**** Singapore Anime Figurine Protesters Meet Real Police <http://asia.news.yahoo.com/070907/3/37k8b.html>
by Reuters
A protest action by a group of Singaporeans with Japanese anime figurines such as the 5-inch tall Ultramen, robots and monsters with placards met some real-life police in the city-state.